News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They’re also currently inferior to both Winnipeg and Tampa so if all 3 teams take the same level of losses due to cap implications, Toronto will be in a worse place than either of those teams.

they're better than winnipeg from top to bottom.

don't be fooled by record padding against a weaker conference.

and they're really not far off tampa, if at all, since the muzzin add.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Not to mention the Leafs have I think the second easiest schedule for the rest of the season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not to mention the Leafs have I think the second easiest schedule for the rest of the season.

yep.

the jets by some measures have had the easiest schedule in hockey so far.

the leafs are at least top-10 toughest, if not top-5.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Wait , so you think you guys are holding onto Point after he gets a offer sheet this summer???

Interesting.

You don't think a team will walk up with a 84 million dollar offer for a young STUD center like that?

Good luck with that mind set.

Haha you really are delusional if you think we won’t match any offer for Point under $13M. If someone wants to offer him more than that then we’ll simply take the four firsts and use the cap space to sign Panarin.

Good luck with your mediocre team.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Winnipeg has a .675 points percentage against the Eastern Conference and a .667 points percentage against the Western Conference. Toronto has a .650 points percentage against the Western Conference and a .640 points percentage against the Eastern Conference.

There is 0 evidence to suggest that Winnipeg is an inferior team who is “record padding against a weaker conference”.

They’re also obviously still inferior to Tampa.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Muzzin is around only 1 more season. There are going to be more casualties if four forwards are carrying almost 40M between them. There are alot of things that need to happen in order for them to ice a 22-23 man roster. There is no way they can go with 20 guys ala Bobby Mac...
Why not?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Winnipeg has a .675 points percentage against the Eastern Conference and a .667 points percentage against the Western Conference. Toronto has a .650 points percentage against the Western Conference and a .640 points percentage against the Eastern Conference.

There is 0 evidence to suggest that Winnipeg is an inferior team who is “record padding against a weaker conference”.

there is mucho evidence. for example, espn's SOS has them at .548, the easiest strength of schedule in the league.

nothing obvious about that. the only real difference I can see between the two this year is tampa scoring a whole bunch more PP goals. we'll see how much of a real advantage that is going forward.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Haha you really are delusional if you think we won’t match any offer for Point under $13M. If someone wants to offer him more than that then we’ll simply take the four firsts and use the cap space to sign Panarin.

Good luck with your mediocre team.

Have fun making that fit.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

This is an interesting link

NHL - National Hockey League Team Strength of Schedule Rankings - Power Rankings Guru

It shows strength of schedule left and strength of schedule played.

For played Toronto had 20th place and Winnipeg had 26th. For what's left Toronto has 30th place and Winnipeg 11th. It looks like Toronto has a much easier schedule ahead than Winnipeg so it will be curious to see how things look for both teams in a month.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Questionable defense? Aren't they top 5 in GA and tracking well for metrics like HDCA? Not many teams in the league with a PPG D back there on a now strong top pairing, who has a 50 point D on their 2nd pairing and a two top 4 D on their bottom pairing.

Rielly has 8 assists in his last 15 games. Solid production no doubt but he’s not going to sustain being a point per game player.

They’re 8th in GA/GP and 3rd worst in 5V5 xGA/60 (according to moneypuck). Andersen is a fantastic goaltender but their defense is not very good.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Yeah just like all those sponsorship deals brought down Matthews ask, right?

Take a look at home many players who recently signed big name deals. McJesus, Stamkos might be the only ines who are getting paid signing bonus. Most are salaries.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Injuries...the least you could probably get away with would be 21 guys
Ya, that's kinda what I expected you to say.
And I think I'd prefer doing it your way.
But you could do 20 players if you really had with the Marlies in town. They can carry an extra player on trips and just not activate him.
It would be far from ideal and the other issue would be, you'd either have to play short handed or put a player on IR. Even if it's for the flu. Then they're lost for a week.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Have fun making that fit.

We move Miller this offseason and we can afford up to $10M on Point without breaking a sweat. Freeing up another $3M would cost us a little depth but nothing we can’t replace from within.

And I’m having a lot of fun watching the best team in the NHL. You have fun watching whatever mediocre team you root for.:thumbu:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ya, that's kinda what I expected you to say.
And I think I'd prefer doing it your way.
But you could do 20 players if you really had with the Marlies in town. They can carry an extra player on trips and just not activate him.
It would be far from ideal and the other issue would be, you'd either have to play short handed or put a player on IR. Even if it's for the flu. Then they're lost for a week.
Being so top heavy up front with their $$$ it will have a big impact on the entire team...just don't see them doing this all season....I would expect Me-lander will be gone...

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
there is mucho evidence. for example, espn's SOS has them at .548, the easiest strength of schedule in the league.

nothing obvious about that. the only real difference I can see between the two this year is tampa scoring a whole bunch more PP goals. we'll see how much of a real advantage that is going forward.

So, Winnipeg having a higher points percentage against the East than the West, and a higher points percentage against both conferences than Toronto isn't evidence that Winnipeg isn't an inferior team who is "record padding against a weaker conference".

But ESPN's "strength of schedule" ranking is...

How about the fact that Tampa is doing what they're doing with a 101.08 PDO, while Toronto has a 102.94 PDO? How about the fact that Tampa has a 1.55% higher xGF%? How about the fact that Tampa has a 3.8% higher PK%?

How about the fact that Tampa (like Winnipeg) was also an elite team last year that made the Conference Finals, with top players that are proven playoff performers? Meanwhile, Toronto has 3 very important forwards (Marner/Matthews/Nylander) with only 10 playoff goals in 39 playoff games.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

Just a pet peeve but that's not a percentage, that's a ratio... If we're
going all scientific here :GWC:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Just a pet peeve but that's not a percentage, that's a ratio... If we're
going all scientific here :GWC:

No, it's a percentage. Winnipeg has earned 67.5% of the points available to them in games that they played against the Eastern Conference this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad