News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The leafs will be top heavy like some other teams in the East. For them going forward it will be all about filling in the depth. If they have a good farm system they should be fine and should have some good cup runs too, but there will be some tough times too. Its just what happens in a cap world.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Leafs are going to have about half of their cap tied up in four players, but at least they're four good players. Not a Seabrook or Eriksson amongst them.

Very interested in seeing where Marner slots in. Should be just a shade behind Matthews, IMO......even if he's been arguably the better player of the two since last season.

Definitely less brittle/more reliable than Matthews, at any rate.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Pretty top heavy four, depth could become an issue soon

They will have their years where they are really good and their depth is playing well but will have tough years too. Its just what happens in a cap era to good teams.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I'd say cap issues is a concern when the strategy becomes. Sell off all vets and replace with league minimum guys and ELCs.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
It's ok to be wrong.
I agree... but my honest feedback to you is that digging through months of comments to quote and tell someone "I told you so" is pretty pathetic. Even remembering that exchange after all this time is pretty pathetic :/

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Always pay up for your star players to keep them the only problem I have with Dubas is the horrible Zaitsev and Marleau contracts talk about a rookie GM getting taken to the cleaners.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I agree... but my honest feedback to you is that digging through months of comments to quote and tell someone "I told you so" is pretty pathetic. Even remembering that exchange after all this time is pretty pathetic :/

You started with the personal attacks in the thread (despite it being obvious what was going to happen) and were relentless. Don't be a jerk and I wont be one in response.

#hatersgonnahate

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Always pay up for your star players to keep them the only problem I have with Dubas is the horrible Zaitsev and Marleau contracts talk about a rookie GM getting taken to the cleaners.

CandidLikelyKangaroo-max-1mb.gif

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Being a GM would be so easy if you could just force players to sign any contract you want them to. Unfortunately that is not the reality, sorry hfboards.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
If Marner gets 10 a year, the Maple Leafs will have 39 million in salary cap tied up in 4 players. That's insane!

It actually seems pretty standard with elite teams with good players. Penguins currently have 32.2 million tied up in 4 players themselves, Tampa has 32.5 tied up with 4 players also, given the rising cap Toronto is no different than the Penguins/Lightning, but its Toronto so everything is hyped up into some serious issue.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs have less cap commited to Matthews, Nylander, JT, and Marner (projected) than the Pens did in Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Letang when they won. While yes, Matthews / JT are not Crosby / Malkin, Marner is easily as good or better than Kessel and Nylander is better than any winger they had on the team. They have better depth at forward and a better defense.

Things are always tight when you have a good team. I hate the Matthews contract from a value perspective but from a Salary cap perspective, I'd take being up against the cap and trying to cram all my stars in there over against the cap with guys like Clarkson, Phaneuf, Kessel, Bozak, etc tacking up most of the cap.

I just don't even get it. Leafs are getting their big deals out of the way and are doing so before the cap is projected to climb with a new expansion and gambling revenue. Their pieces are not in their primes.

Tampa is all in and most of their guys are near the end of their 20's. Their reign is almost over. Winnipeg is going to lose a number of top 4 D and most of their F depth. Someone worry about them rather than the Leafs losing Gardiner (who everyone on here hates on and says is terrible) and Brown who is on the 4th line.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Dubas wasn't on the horizon when those contracts were signed.

None of those contracts are bad.

Marleau is a great mentor for all that youth in the locker room. His contract will be off the books in time to free up space. He actually scores points still at 39.

Zaytsev's rep is marred by the blind hating Toronto fans who do not realize what he contributes and also that his price tag especially for that term is very much okay.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
You can't win in the post season without 2 really good centers. The Leafs now have that. I agree with the OP, that defense is not very good, but Pitt has arguably been winning cups with the same mess on the blue line.

imo the window in Toronto is open and won't close until Matthews or Tavares leaves. Welcome to the club of 8 or so teams with open windows.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
You can't win in the post season without 2 really good centers. The Leafs now have that. I agree with the OP, that defense is not very good, but Pitt has arguably been winning cups with the same mess on the blue line.

imo the window in Toronto is open and won't close until Matthews or Tavares leaves. Welcome to the club of 8 or so teams with open windows.

Defence is top 15 and maybe even top 10 next year if they add a RD. Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott are very good and they have some depth.

Reactions: Menzinger

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The leafs will be top heavy like some other teams in the East. For them going forward it will be all about filling in the depth. If they have a good farm system they should be fine and should have some good cup runs too, but there will be some tough times too. Its just what happens in a cap world.
I agree with this, Pittsburgh has been top heavy in terms of salary for a while now too, they still won their cups (yes I know Crosby/Malkin>Matthews/Tavares) . If we draft well and develop talent like Tampa/Pittsburgh/Chicago have been able to do we'll still go on runs and potentially win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad