News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Leafs have less cap commited to Matthews, Nylander, JT, and Marner (projected) than the Pens did in Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Letang when they won. While yes, Matthews / JT are not Crosby / Malkin, Marner is easily as good or better than Kessel and Nylander is better than any winger they had on the team. They have better depth at forward and a better defense.

Things are always tight when you have a good team. I hate the Matthews contract from a value perspective but from a Salary cap perspective, I'd take being up against the cap and trying to cram all my stars in there over against the cap with guys like Clarkson, Phaneuf, Kessel, Bozak, etc tacking up most of the cap.

I just don't even get it. Leafs are getting their big deals out of the way and are doing so before the cap is projected to climb with a new expansion and gambling revenue. Their pieces are not in their primes.

Tampa is all in and most of their guys are near the end of their 20's. Their reign is almost over. Winnipeg is going to lose a number of top 4 D and most of their F depth. Someone worry about them rather than the Leafs losing Gardiner (who everyone on here hates on and says is terrible) and Brown who is on the 4th line.
Ummm, the Jets have Scheifele and Ehlers locked up long-term at $12M for both of them. Add Wheeler and that takes them to $20.25 million. That gives them cap space to re-sign Laine and Connor and Trouba (if he decides to extend in Wpg).

Beyond the challenge this off-season with Kapanen and others, the Leafs' are going to have to figure out how to deal with Andersen and Rielly when they hit UFA in 2 and 3 seasons, respectively.

I think the Leafs will be a top team for the foreseeable future with top-end talent, but they certainly have had to shell out more than expected for Matthews and Nylander, and it looks like Marner is going to cost a bunch.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I agree with this, Pittsburgh has been top heavy in terms of salary for a while now too, they still won their cups (yes I know Crosby/Malkin>Matthews/Tavares) . If we draft well and develop talent like Tampa/Pittsburgh/Chicago have been able to do we'll still go on runs and potentially win

Its all about having the horses up front to do it and the teams you listed have them. They may be their whole team but there isnt very many teams in the league who are that top heavy. It makes a difference when things matter most.

Reactions: leafsfan5

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Tampa is all in and most of their guys are near the end of their 20's. Their reign is almost over.

giphy.gif

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ummm, the Jets have Scheifele and Ehlers locked up long-term at $12M for both of them. Add Wheeler and that takes them to $20.25 million. That gives them cap space to re-sign Laine and Connor and Trouba (if he decides to extend in Wpg).

Beyond the challenge this off-season with Kapanen and others, the Leafs' are going to have to figure out how to deal with Andersen and Rielly when they hit UFA in 2 and 3 seasons, respectively.

I think the Leafs will be a top team for the foreseeable future with top-end talent, but they certainly have had to shell out more than expected for Matthews and Nylander, and it looks like Marner is going to cost a bunch.

You are painting an optimistic picture of the Jets situation and you know it, and the Leafs are not in any trouble. Marleau and Horton expire after next season giving them 11M in cap space and by the time they have to pay those guys Kessel retention will be off the books.

Not to mention the salary cap going up every year. The only real issue for the Leafs is next season and that's it. That's where the Jets are even more screwed.

Connor is worth at least what Nylander got

Dreger said Laine wanted 11M last offseason

Trouba is a RFA

Losing a top 4 RD to UFA most likely, and then a bunch of depth players needing new deals with less cap space than the Leafs have. Not to mention Morrissey is due a huge deal next season as well.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
You are painting an optimistic picture of the Jets situation and you know it, and the Leafs are not in any trouble. Marleau and Horton expire after next season giving them 11M in cap space and by the time they have to pay those guys Kessel retention will be off the books.

Not to mention the salary cap going up every year. The only real issue for the Leafs is next season and that's it. That's where the Jets are even more screwed.

Trouba is a RFA

Losing a top 4 RD to UFA most likely, and then a bunch of depth players needing new deals with less cap space than the Leafs have. Not to mention Morrissey is due a huge deal next season as well.

How does Horton's contract affect the Leafs cap situation? Is he counted against the Cap in the offseason only? I know LTIR during the season allows a team to exceed the cap by the LTIR cap hit

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
How does Horton's contract affect the Leafs cap situation? Is he counted against the Cap in the offseason only? I know LTIR during the season allows a team to exceed the cap by the LTIR cap hit

He's currently on their cap right now. He can be put on LTIR but I think there are a bunch of situations where it doesn't really help such as bonus' slide years etc. You have to be against the cap to put him on LTIR and the Leafs aren't so that's why I said that. Him being on LTIR / expiring means an extra 5.5 in cap space for the Leafs

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
He's currently on their cap right now. He can be put on LTIR but I think there are a bunch of situations where it doesn't really help such as bonus' slide years etc. You have to be against the cap to put him on LTIR and the Leafs aren't so that's why I said that. Him being on LTIR / expiring means an extra 5.5 in cap space for the Leafs

Interesting, well that is certainly good news for the Leafs then. I knew he expired after 2020 in any case but looks like he is against the cap until then.

Doesn't help them much for the 2019 offseason though, they will need to trade Marleau (who has a full NMC) - perhaps Orpik him - and Zaitsev who will require incentive to trade.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Trouba is a RFA

Do you actually convince yourself that this stuff is true before you post it?

The Leafs are visibly in trouble. Their GM has done a poor job of handling the Nylander and Matthews contracts and judging from the comments from Marner’s agent, things aren’t looking good on his front either.

Dreger said Laine wanted 11M...Dreger also said Marner was going to be offer sheeted. Is he credible or is he not? Cause I know exactly what you were saying when Dreger reported that. Laine’s stock has dropped considerably.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think having an elite top 4 forward group is nice and all, but if they spend a big portion of their cap on just 4 forwards, while having suspect defense and depth and no cap to improve those areas, then it's not a team I'd bet on winning many playoff games.

Reactions: Pez68 and NDiesel

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

The Leafs are visibly in trouble. Their GM has done a poor job of handling the Nylander and Matthews contracts and judging from the comments from Marner’s agent, things aren’t looking good on his front either.

Dreger said Laine wanted 11M...Dreger also said Marner was going to be offer sheeted. Is he credible or is he not? Cause I know exactly what you were saying when Dreger reported that. Laine’s stock has dropped considerably.
Not in Laine's mind.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Interesting, well that is certainly good news for the Leafs then. I knew he expired after 2020 in any case but looks like he is against the cap until then.

Doesn't help them much for the 2019 offseason though, they will need to trade Marleau (who has a full NMC) - perhaps Orpik him - and Zaitsev who will require incentive to trade.

There are multiple projections out there. Leafs are fine not moving anyone besides maybe Connor Brown. It just means letting Gardiner walk, bridging Kapanen and Johnsson, and then basically have a 4th line of near league minimum/ELC players.

And you are a self admitted Leaf hater who can't see the forest from the trees. Leafs are going to have all of their kids locked up. That is it for cap issues. Next year is tight for sure but after that they are fine. I mean they won't be able to be careless with cap space or anything but every good team faces cap management.

Worst case scenario they end up losing guys like Kapanen or Johnsson who aren't very good anyway according to this board so who cares?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Tampa is all in and most of their guys are near the end of their 20's. Their reign is almost over.

Point is 22.
Kucherov is 25.
Vasilevskiy is 24.

Those three alone will keep us a competitive team for a long, long time. The supporting cast will change but two PPG forwards and one of the best goalies in the game is a damn good core to build around. Throw in 21yo Cernak and 20yo Sergachev who look like the future nucleus of our defensive corps and we’re in excellent shape going forward. Sorry to break it to you but the Lightning aren’t ending their reign on the division anytime soon.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Point is 22.
Kucherov is 25.
Vasilevskiy is 24.

Those three alone will keep us a competitive team for a long, long time. The supporting cast will change but two PPG forwards and one of the best goalies in the game is a damn good core to build around. Throw in 21yo Cernak and 20yo Sergachev who look like the future nucleus of our defensive corps and we’re in excellent shape going forward. Sorry to break it to you but the Lightning aren’t ending their reign on the division anytime soon.

Being a solid team =/= running away with the league. This is the same attitude Shark fans have with their new core. Just because there are good players coming up doesn't mean they are as good as the current ones. That is what I am saying, their days as the top dog are limited.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Being a solid team =/= running away with the league. This is the same attitude Shark fans have with their new core. Just because there are good players coming up doesn't mean they are as good as the current ones. That is what I am saying, their days as the top dog are limited.

This isn’t a new core - Point, Kuch, and Vasy are easily our three most valuable players now and they are going to be in their primes for the next several years. Now if you want to argue that their supporting cast may not be as good in a few years as they are now then that’s a valid point, but our core is young and won’t be declining for quite some time.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
This isn’t a new core - Point, Kuch, and Vasy are easily our three most valuable players now and they are going to be in their primes for the next several years. Now if you want to argue that their supporting cast may not be as good in a few years as they are now then that’s a valid point, but our core is young and won’t be declining for quite some time.

I would argue that Hedman, McD, and Stamkos are what makes the team so hard to handle. Without them they are just another Colorado. Vasi I give you for sure, these guys are all good, I am just saying that I very much doubt Serg ever touches either of those two D and there are no 1st OA centers in the organization either.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I don't see how you can argue that Tampa's days are "limited". The oldest part of that core are Hedman/Stamkos and they're 28...and Tampa's still got Sergachev with a lot of room to grow and Kuch/Point/Vasi all 25 or under. Tampa will be dominant for at least 5 years, and probably more. They're set up for long-term success.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I would argue that Hedman, McD, and Stamkos are what makes the team so hard to handle. Without them they are just another Colorado. Vasi I give you for sure, these guys are all good, I am just saying that I very much doubt Serg ever touches either of those two D and there are no 1st OA centers in the organization either.

Stamkos just finally came alive in the middle of this season. Point was actually our number 1 center before Stamkos cranked it up again. Now Point has gone back to earth a bit but its February when most top teams start to take it easy.

We have a good young core of players to go with our aging vets(Sergachev, Point, Vasi, Cernak, Cirelli, Joseph, Erne, Raddysh, Katchouk, Stephens, Volkov etc). We may not be as good as we are now once those guys get older but we should also have good years with those young guys leading the way too. I dont see us going anywhere anytime soon. SY has done an amazing job with this team.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Not in Laine's mind.

Laine is just going to sign for 5M/year and future considerations...the future considerations being fortnite currency. All Chevy has to do is give him another 5 mil in virtual fortnite money and Laine will sign instantly.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
You started with the personal attacks in the thread (despite it being obvious what was going to happen) and were relentless. Don't be a jerk and I wont be one in response.

#hatersgonnahate

it's not even about you being a jerk; I'm a big boy I can take it. Theres just something creepy about holding it in for that long and going digging through all that post history over something so silly. Makes me wonder who I'm talking to on these boards sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad