News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I have no idea why people are acting like we can't fit this roster under the cap next season. We'll likely be unable to add any significant assets, that's true, but we can easily run our current roster for the next two seasons under the cap. We just have to apply all the bonuses to the cap this year. And we'll have to run a young dcore season after this one and hope for the best, but once Marleau and Horton's contracts are over, we're free from worries over the cap. Likely works out to something like this:

16.2 M cap space
-7M Nylander's new contract
+2M Matthews/Marner ELCs coming off the books
-11M Matthews' new contract
-8M Marner's new contract
-Leivo/Carrick/McBackup replaced by equal cost players
+7M letting Hainsey & Gardiner go to UFA
-2M Liljegren and Rosen/UFA replacing Hainsey/Gardiner
+1M Kapanen's ELC gone
-2-2.5M Kapanen's new contract
+2M cap raise
--------
Comes to 2M over the cap, but with Horton's 5.3M LTIR contract, we're still left with 3.3M in wiggle room.

So there's the math, add 1M each to our 3 young forwards if you're hoping they sign for more, but we're still good cap wise. This would likely be our 2019-2020 roster

[SPOIL]Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Lindholm-Brown

Rielly-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljegren
A mix of Rosen/Marincin/Holl/Borgman/UFA

So obviously in 2019-2020 our D is going to be weak but we'll be betting on it just needing to get the puck out of the zone to let the forwards do their work, so considering it's filled with PMDs it shouldn't be too harmful.
[/SPOIL]
So, tell me why I'm wrong and why we're destined for cap hell unless we trade Nylander/Marner to your team for peanuts :D

RockTheRedDC

Apr 26, 2013
Please move all the threads from Leafs board to the main.

Everybody on the planet should be interested in what is fff..ing, eating or drinking these Gods...matthews, jt and co:laugh::naughty:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Leafs will be a powerhouse for the foreseeable future, just being able to run 2 elite franchise centres down the middle in Tavares-Matthews alone guarantees this in the same way it's guaranteed it for the Penguins with Crosby-Malkin. Interchange players on their wings its still going to be a great team. This is the beauty in having such incredible centre depth in this league.

I agree the Leafs will be able to maintain this forward core (Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander) apparently Tavares asked GM Dubas what his plans were to keep the core together during their 2 hour meeting and it was a condition of his because he wants to play with a strong supporting cast..something he's never had in NYI. So I trust the management.

People just like to stir up conspiracies and fake problems because lets face it, tons of people are salty that the Leafs signed a star UFA, especially after years of everyone telling us no big name stars would ever sign here. Its the same way they've stirred up the fake story of there being a rift between Babcock and Matthews because he visited him in Arizona. When in actuality he also visited Andersen in Denmark and that's just how he is, a coach that wants to maintain relationships with his players on and off the ice.. its the same reason he's the only coach that goes up the stands to talk to the parents of players we draft on the draft floor.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Obviously they can fit what they ha e under the cap, but the problem everyone is saying is they can’t improve their defence with the amount they’re spending on forwards which is true. So they’ll likely have to trade Nylander if they want to upgrade their defence in any way

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Obviously they can fit what they ha e under the cap, but the problem everyone is saying is they can’t improve their defence with the amount they’re spending on forwards which is true. So they’ll likely have to trade Nylander if they want to upgrade their defence in any way
They can't make a trade? Tavares signing allows them to do that.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
They can’t make a trade for anyone with a significant cap hit without also trading back a significant salary like Nylander’s or maybe Kadri
I am not a believer a Karlssn is the way to go. There are always solid top 4 guys you can add.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
No one said you are in cap hell

Just that your window to win with this group of forwards will be very short
Itll obviously stop us from adding any big ticket UFAs for the foreseeable future but if we copy Pittsburgh's model of surrounding our elite talent with cheap undervalued UFAs/ELCs, I don't think it'll be that big of a problem. And adding an extra 2M to the cap each year will help the cap situation more than you think IMO.
I don't think this needed to be on the main boards but anyways. I don't think people are saying they can't afford the 3 kids it's more can they afford anything else after that
Yeah we obviously won't be in the Karlsson running next year, but I think Dubas is aiming to have the $ spent on elite players that can raise the play of their teammates, while running ELCs as their wingers/supporting cast of dmen.

Really, if we flip Zaitsev, that's another 4M + the 3M in cap that we have for a good RD

Reactions: shello

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Marleau's 6.2 million comes off the books after this coming season along with Horton's 5.3 million. Rielly is locked up on a great team friendly 5 million until 2022-23 as is Zaitsev at 4.5 until 2024. Hainsey's 3 million is off the books after this coming season too.

We just traded Martin today too freeing up another 2.5 million.

We currently have 16.1 million in space.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
oh-my-god-who-the-hell-cares.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad