GDT: Leafs @ another Leafs home game in Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He's been worse than league average every month of this season besides November (where he was world class good) and his expected goals numbers blow, so you can blame the guys in front of him but he's been objectively bad

I expect him to be better than that, he is better than that usually

Yes, he has not been as good as he has been in the past. But since you were specifically referencing the first shots of periods. (the Dallas game) That was what I addressed.

I also hope he is better, but I am willing to bet that no matter what Buffalo's first goal looks like tonight, there will be a minimum of half a dozen "Freddie sucks" types of posts.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Unless Marchment has vastly improved his skating over the past month or so, he's a very bad NHLer. The guy is legitimately one of the worst skaters I've ever seen play an NHL game.

IMO, there is no reason for him to be given an opportunity to play tonight. He can't keep up to the play. It was bad enough that people I was with who don't follow hockey very much were asking about him.
I disagree. I think his skating has improved considerably from last year. Besides, we’ve been looking for someone with size that score. Korschkov is not much of a better skater but he has great size and hands and a good hockey IQ.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I suppose it depends on the quality of that shot.......a turnover leading to an uncontested walk in, a bad pinch leading to a breakaway, an uncovered Tyler Seguin from point blank range on the PP.

Perhaps I'm too forgiving, but those are situations that lead to goals more often than not.
They really don't. Most breakaways are saves.

Chances against happen, I wish we shut down the Stars completely but if certainly feels like any good chance ends up in our net.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Can we really expect anything different a few weeks later? I think he should be away from the NHL until at least next year.
Yes. The difference between his AHL play between now and then is massive, and he had good reason for not performing well. Of course there's still no guarantee but it's worth a shot

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I disagree. I think his skating has improved considerably from last year. Besides, we’ve been looking for someone with size that score. Korschkov is not much of a better skater but he has great size and hands and a good hockey IQ.
I'm fine with giving Korshkov a shot. Marchment not so much.

Even if Marchment's skating has improved vastly from one year to the next it doesn't mean he's anywhere near NHL caliber. The guy wasn't close to being able to keep up with the play just a month ago. There's no benefit to having a big, gritty body up front if he's unable to be part of the play. He was really, really bad last time.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yes, he has not been as good as he has been in the past. But since you were specifically referencing the first shots of periods. (the Dallas game) That was what I addressed.

I also hope he is better, but I am willing to bet that no matter what Buffalo's first goal looks like tonight, there will be a minimum of half a dozen "Freddie sucks" types of posts.

That is true, but the best way for him to silence people is to start playing up to his capabilities again

He can be a difference maker when he's on and people have come to expect a certain level of performance with him and get unhappy when he doesn't reach it

So just stop the puck, that solves a lot of problems

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
You mean the one that he was hitting everything in sight and scored his 8th goal in 5 games. Yeah, real painful.
His NHL stint was incredibly painful and it was just a month ago. Lots of guys who are productive in the AHL aren't good enough at one aspect or another to be successful in the NHL. Skating is something you need in today's game, regardless of how gritty he is.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
They really don't. Most breakaways are saves.

Chances against happen, I wish we shut down the Stars completely but if certainly feels like any good chance ends up in our net.

Can we at least agree they are high quality scoring opportunities as opposed to what would be considered a "softie"

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Can we at least agree they are high quality scoring opportunities as opposed to what would be considered a "softie"
They were good opportunities where the players made mediocre (at best) moves. I didn't like either of the first two goals. Third one he had no chance on.

His poor positioning cost him on the first two as it has all year. He's got too many holes and is regularly off his angles.

If the players made better moves or even better shots, id be more lenient, but you need at least 1 and likely two of those saved.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I suppose it depends on the quality of that shot.......a turnover leading to an uncontested walk in, a bad pinch leading to a breakaway, an uncovered Tyler Seguin from point blank range on the PP.

Perhaps I'm too forgiving, but those are situations that lead to goals more often than not.

The issue with Andersen hasn't been those goals in isolation. No goalie should be expected to stop everything, and that's especially true with high danger chances. The issue is, that as a whole, Andersen is making very few of those saves, and is even letting in quite a few "regular" shots. He's consistently being outplayed by the oppositions goalie.

Its fine if you want to juxtapose the fans who are on the other extreme. As I said to you in a previous thread, I can only speak for myself in that I don't hope Andersen fails. It's the opposite in fact. I'd love for him to bounce back and ride it all the way into the playoffs. However, you can't deny that his save percentage and overall play has been subpar for awhile now. It's perfectly okay for fans to want better (from him).

Reactions: LeafsRus

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
goalie controversies almost always work out for the team. unless they do a knee jerk reaction and trade the goaltender.

sure cambell may turn in to our very own dubnyk who catches fire and establishes himself as elite a year after being flogged by the oilers and traded by the coyotes . but that scenario is what it is.

lets just be happy right now we have 2 capable goalies one that needs to get his bearings again and the other thats been lights outs for us since the acquisition

Reactions: Nylander88

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Can we really expect anything different a few weeks later? I think he should be away from the NHL until at least next year.
I think he could look different playing with a guy like Clifford. He was coming off injury when we called him up too. He's looked like a man on a mission since we sent him back. Maybe got a speech from his old man about not squandering a huge opportunity. Definitely wasn't impressed with him and I really wanted to see him up. I'd like to see him have another look though. Especially with a guy like Clifford now in the fold...they could feed off one another

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
goalie controversies almost always work out for the team. unless they do a knee jerk reaction and trade the goaltender.

sure cambell may turn in to our very own dubnyk who catches fire and establishes himself as elite a year after being flogged by the oilers and traded by the coyotes . but that scenario is what it is.

lets just be happy right now we have 2 capable goalies one that needs to get his bearings again and the other thats been lights outs for us since the acquisition
Exactly. This is a good "problem" to have. We aren't being forced to trade one, yet everyone is acting like we have a crisis on our hands lol

Last edited:
Reactions: The MoNaRcH

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
His NHL stint was incredibly painful and it was just a month ago. Lots of guys who are productive in the AHL aren't good enough at one aspect or another to be successful in the NHL. Skating is something you need in today's game, regardless of how gritty he is.
I think you’re being really harsh basing everything on those few games when he was here. He had just come back from serious injury. I’m curious to see how he will play on this stint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad