Friedman: Leafs and Matthews discusing extension?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Has he won an Art Ross? Ted Lindsay? Hart?

Lol how much weed have ppl been smoking.
I love how you can't directly say he is not McDavid-level player and even further insult me - which is against the rules of the site. Not the man - the argument.

McDavid signed his deal after his first healthy season. The one where he first won Art Ross, Hart and other trophies.

How much do you think Matthews is worth then?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Pretty much every major star seems to get a 5 year deal out of ELC. Off the top of my head: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Seguin?.

Only makes sense if the AAV is significantly lower though. Would keep more cap space around to contend with and then you can just re-up him in year 5.

When Crosby signed his 5 year deal it was for 17.3% of the cap. A similar contract signed today would be $13.75m AAV.

Malkin was only 15.3% but that was likely influenced by his signing a year later and taking the same AAV as Crosby.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Matthews is closer to McDavid than Eichel.
The salary cap raised by 6%.

12.5$ Mil + 6% = 13.25$ Mil.

So if Matthews signs an equivalent deal than McDavid, it's about 13.25
Plus his contracts not due till next year so it'll probably go up more

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Funny enough in a couple years there are 2 years where Crosby will get paid more because Toews deal dips to under 8m salary while Crosby will still be in his 9m per years before his deal drops to 3m.

Ahhhh contract negotiation season, the only time someone from another Canadian teams fan base will say good things about Auston Matthews.

As for the 5 year vs 8 year thing. I am okay with it if it keeps his cap hit down. Obviously the 5 year contract didn't work out for the Islanders with Tavares but when they signed it they were a tire fire with a franchise center and in the 6 years after Tavares signed they didn't get much better. The leafs would be making the same type of gamble but starting way further ahead. If the leafs can save lets say 2 million per year by making it 5 instead of 8 that could be some good depth spending that helps win cups. Dubas and co's responsibility then becomes spending those savings wisely, not on anchors.

Love the player hate the team. I can do the distinction and have good conversations.
I like Bergeron , Chara and Marchand too.

Same as matthews, tavares, Marner and Nylander.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
McDavid and Eichel both signed a year early. Probably better comparison to stick with a one year cap inflation %.
True but in the nylander thread the assumption on the ehlers comp is that they factored in the inflation a year early. But maybe they did for mcdavid as well so you can just do the six %

member 290103

14 x 8, imo. Matthews is an American. He won't take a discount.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If Dubas had a brain he would wait until McDavid is dominating statistically and then use his 12.5 AAV as the bench mark. 13 is too much for Matthews TBH, he should be closer to Eichel than McDavid in terms of $$$.
Dubas has a brain.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It baffles me that people think he's getting more than McDavid. That's a glass ceiling contract for this generation of stars. GM's have a vested interest in not inflating RFA salaries beyond reason.

Reactions: flamesforcup

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
If I'm negotiating for either side, I'd throw out $34M/3 years. Matthews can shoot for 16 to 17M x 8 on the next deal, which he will likely get at that point, while Dubas gets to set the cap at essentially 11M in the short term and gets a four year all-in window. Leafs retain that RFA year at the end.

Reactions: Confucius

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
It baffles me that people think he's getting more than McDavid. That's a glass ceiling contract for this generation of stars. GM's have a vested interest in not inflating RFA salaries beyond reason.

Matthews agent can easily argue that McDavid would've gotten at least 14 million on the open market. Furthermore, his agent can argue that McDavid took a discount. Which is an exception with most athletes. Thus, Matthews getting 13 million isn't outlandish. The Leafs screwd up by not signing him before the season. Now, its gonna cost them more.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Matthews agent can easily argue that McDavid would've gotten at least 14 million on the open market. Furthermore, his agent can argue that McDavid took a discount. Which is an exception with most athletes. Thus, Matthews getting 13 million isn't outlandish. The Leafs screwd up by not signing him before the season. Now, its gonna cost them more.

I'm quite certain a professional player agent isn't going to bring up imaginary contracts as talking points. Unless he wants to be paid in leprechaun gold.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It is not debatable. Nylander hasn't been bungled. Negotiations are on going.

Yeah looks more like an unwinnable situation to me. Toronto needs to have at least one of their big 3 on a bridge deal for next season, until Marleau is off the books. Doesn't look like Nylander has any interest in taking the bridge deal though when Matthews and Marner are likely going to get big extensions.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah looks more like an unwinnable situation to me. Toronto needs to have at least one of their big 3 on a bridge deal for next season, until Marleau is off the books. Doesn't look like Nylander has any interest in taking the bridge deal though when Matthews and Marner are likely going to get big extensions.
On this board it doesn't. However none of us know what the reality of the situation is. We have only speculation that we are speculating on. Neither constitute for the parties have talked to the media. They have handled the situation professionally. We really don't even know what the impase is. The numbers are even speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad