Friedman: Leafs and Matthews discusing extension?

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
It's all speculation at this point, (not that that has ever stopped some people on HF Boards from losing their minds,) but I don't see the negative in exploring all options. Everyone knows that the salary cap is a great challenge. If signing Matthews to a shorter contract is a possible way to keep more of the team together, why not explore that? Signing a shorter contract doesn't mean he will leave after 5 years. I'm sure the next step would have been planned as well.

I believe that Dubas and the rest of the management team has considered everything, including the potential panic scenarios that frequent HF Boards. I really doubt that any people on here are coming up with any truly original ideas.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
How many years to a new CBA?
I wonder if the new CBA will have like a franchise player tag (NBA) or let you have one guy you re sign not count against the cap.
I feel like the big teams will be pushing for some way to keep their top talent +.
Maybe its a cap with a major luxury tax.

Wonder if their are any thoughts of signing him for the length of the current cba + massive signing bonus for that year so they can work out a new deal under the new CBA. Wonder if team have an incling towards what the future will look like after this CBA. I assume the NHL already knows what it wants, and what the players association is willing to work with them on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah I don't see player or agents agreeing to the "no one gets paid more than McDavid" rule.

It wasn't that way for Crosby so why would it be different now. The cap inflates and salaries inflate along side that.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
How many years to a new CBA?
I wonder if the new CBA will have like a franchise player tag (NBA) or let you have one guy you re sign not count against the cap.
I feel like the big teams will be pushing for some way to keep their top talent +.
Maybe its a cap with a major luxury tax.

Wonder if their are any thoughts of signing him for the length of the current cba + massive signing bonus for that year so they can work out a new deal under the new CBA. Wonder if team have an incling towards what the future will look like after this CBA. I assume the NHL already knows what it wants, and what the players association is willing to work with them on.

21-22
NHL and NHLPA can opt out next season in september 2019 (expiring in 2020)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yeah I don't see player or agents agreeing to the "no one gets paid more than McDavid" rule.

It wasn't that way for Crosby so why would it be different now. The cap inflates and salaries inflate along side that.
The Mcdavid contract will be passed soon. The cap went up 5 million, and will soar with Seattle in a couple of years.
Players can take a smaller % of the cap than Mcdavid does, but still make more.
Throughout the history of the NHL, many tines the best players were far from the highest paid.

Reactions: llamateizer

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Matthews is closer to McDavid than Eichel.
The salary cap raised by 6%.

12.5$ Mil + 6% = 13.25$ Mil.

So if Matthews signs an equivalent deal than McDavid, it's about 13.25

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I have believed Mathews is better then McDavid since he was drafted and still believe it. He deserves at least an equal contract. Imo the guy is the best goal scoring C in the league and I weigh goals much higher then McDavids secondary assists. There shouldnt be a secondary assist its literally only a thing to make points seem higher.

Anyways pay the man making him highest paid player in the league and move on.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think the Leafs are realizing they made a mistake not signing his extension first last summer.

Now the price starts there no matter what unless his scoring cools way off.

You are very wrong. They purposefully learned from Edmonton and are signing him last. Or else Nylander / Marner will say "Am I X less than Matthews?". Like if Matthews gets 92 points and Marner gets 87, maybe they can get Marner for 8x8 for example. If Matthews signs 12x8 Marner starts at 10. Hence why Drai is so massively over paid.

He's gone to Arizona.

It's fine, they are negotiating the deal so that when Matthews leaves they'll have plenty of cap for McDavid.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
It's pretty clear Matthews and his agent are trying to meet in the middle. Instead of a discount, he signs a shorter contract to help the team win. At the end of the day, Matthews wants a payday, but will chance the next 5 years with the Leafs to win the cup. If the Leafs fail, he will go to the team that bids the highest (in his prime).

Last edited:

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Giving him 5 years could be a franchise-changing mistake.

This is difficult to understand. Why on earth would the Maple Leafs allow him to get to unrestricted free agency in just five years?

Pretty much every major star seems to get a 5 year deal out of ELC. Off the top of my head: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Seguin?.

Only makes sense if the AAV is significantly lower though. Would keep more cap space around to contend with and then you can just re-up him in year 5.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
It's pretty clear Matthews and his agent are trying to meet in the middle. Instead of a discount, he signs a shorter contract to help the team win. At the end of the day, Matthews wants a payday, but will chance the next 5 years with the Leafs to win the cup. If the Leafs fail, he will go to the team that bids the highest (in his prime).

Are you basing this on anything but your hopes and wishes?

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Toews has been making more than Crosby for years. Once the cap goes up, so do salaries. Making more doesn't mean you deserve more.

Funny enough in a couple years there are 2 years where Crosby will get paid more because Toews deal dips to under 8m salary while Crosby will still be in his 9m per years before his deal drops to 3m.

Matthews is closer to McDavid than Eichel.
The salary cap raised by 6%.

12.5$ Mil + 6% = 13.25$ Mil.

So if Matthews signs an equivalent deal than McDavid, it's about 13.25

Ahhhh contract negotiation season, the only time someone from another Canadian teams fan base will say good things about Auston Matthews.

As for the 5 year vs 8 year thing. I am okay with it if it keeps his cap hit down. Obviously the 5 year contract didn't work out for the Islanders with Tavares but when they signed it they were a tire fire with a franchise center and in the 6 years after Tavares signed they didn't get much better. The leafs would be making the same type of gamble but starting way further ahead. If the leafs can save lets say 2 million per year by making it 5 instead of 8 that could be some good depth spending that helps win cups. Dubas and co's responsibility then becomes spending those savings wisely, not on anchors.

Last edited:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
So many leaf fans feel he is comparable to McDavid, then with how salary cap just went up, you're looking at $13M as a discount.

Good problem to have for sure, but the discount isn't like 4 million from what McDavid gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad