Friedman: Leafs and Matthews discusing extension?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Why wouldn't Matthews want $10+ million a year for 8 years on a contending team, in the worlds biggest hockey market (with commensurate endorsement deals)?

Why wouldn't the Leafs want the guy who looks like he may be the second best player of his generation all the way through his prime?

Listen, Matthews is better than Nylander, Rielly and even Marner, better than anyone on the Leafs. Aside from McDavid there really isn't a better young piece in the NHL to build a team around (and a NHL player poll from this past season agrees with that). It is in a team's interest to keep such a player around as long as possible, because such a player really is irreplaceable.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I have believed Mathews is better then McDavid since he was drafted and still believe it. He deserves at least an equal contract. Imo the guy is the best goal scoring C in the league and I weigh goals much higher then McDavids secondary assists. There shouldnt be a secondary assist its literally only a thing to make points seem higher.

Anyways pay the man making him highest paid player in the league and move on.
Cmon Mikey he hasnt even broken 70 points or even come close to an art ross or hart how is he better than Mcdavid. A hot little 5 game stretch doesnt mean anything

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Friedman with another out there statement.

Of course Toronto and Matthews are discussing an extension, they have a star young player who they are going to lock up to a long term deal. I think he’s full of shit on the 5 year part. Maybe it was thrown out there but no way the leafs would try and limit his term.

Reactions: Confucius

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Cmon Mikey he hasnt even broken 70 and even come close to an art ross or hart how is he better than Mcdavid. A hot little 5 game stretch doesnt mean anything
I think the guy you are responding to might just want to see the Leafs in cap hell. The numbers bare out that McDavid is the best in the NHL. It is fair to say Matthews is superior in terms of goalscoring, but in terms of speed, passing and overall vision McDavid is the best in the NHL.

To be fair though Matthews would have easily broken 70 last year had he not been injured; he finished up with 63 points (34 of them as goals) in 62 games. Right now he is pretty much 1 ppg over his short career (and a bit over 1/2 a goal per game), which is elite production in today's NHL, no doubt, just not on par with McDavid's back to back 100+ point seasons.

Reactions: Tmart335

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I know Dubas is young, but I expect he's not so inexperienced that he would sign Matthews for less than 8 years so he can overpay Nylander, is he?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Cmon Mikey he hasnt even broken 70 points or even come close to an art ross or hart how is he better than Mcdavid. A hot little 5 game stretch doesnt mean anything
If you go back to his rookie year you will see me say the same thing honestly. Same reason I have aleays picked Ovi as a better player then Sid. I personally value goal scorers over playmakers. When I was a Vancouver fan I never really thought Henrik was that impressive Daniel was the better player even though Hank wore the C and seemed to get more recognition.

So while he hasnt scored 70 he has put up very close to 50 im pretty sure. I dont weigh total points heavy if you are a goal scorer. Like for McDavid he is going to score 100 points but only 35 will be goals and another 35 of those will be secondary assists and that stat irks me so much.

I personally dont blame other people though if they like the the playmakers who assist more its a personal preference on what they view is important and more valuable to them ad a fan. To me goals are weighted double an assist for me because getting goals is how you win the game so scoring goals means you have the most effect on the game other then the goalienwho is directly responsible for stipping the score. Then primary assists are important if it is a legit reason you scored like a beauty seam pass to catch the goalie transition from left to right and you are directly connected to that score I think that is weighted at 1 point for me and then secondaries to me are like half a point because very VERY rarely is the 2nd to last person to touch it a key part of the score only the occasional tic tac toe. So Mathews who will get 45 and 20 to me is ok in my books. Now McDavid doing say 40 and 65 still very impressive but Again I'm just very weird in my habits and I know Im in a huge minority with my opinion there.

I think its because I grew up watching sports like say basketball to where only the last person to touch gets the assist and in football no one gets credit for someone elses score say if a reciever catches it and runs 20 yards and laterals it and that guy catches it and runs it the rest of the way for the score the person who scores gets full credit the original receiver gets no stat for that. So learning those sports before hockey I think dictated how I perceived the secondary assist and that impacts how I personally rank whonis a better player based on what I find to be the more important.

Sorry for the rant just figured id explain why my view might seem extreme compared to some others in here who might think Im crazy for thinking Mathews is the better player of McDavid and himself.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I have believed Mathews is better then McDavid since he was drafted and still believe it. He deserves at least an equal contract. Imo the guy is the best goal scoring C in the league and I weigh goals much higher then McDavids secondary assists. There shouldnt be a secondary assist its literally only a thing to make points seem higher.

Well there goes your credibility

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't buy there's a glass ceiling. Crosby was not the top paid player forever, and McDavid won't be forever either.

Agents and players won't agree to any "rule" on that basis.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

So I’m guessing you think Cheechoo and not Thornton should have won the Hart in 2006 then?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
So I’m guessing you think Cheechoo and not Thornton should have won the Hart in 2006 then?
Not nessasarily I cant even think back that far to remember what happened that year but its possible I supported someone else. I just think that every goal is worth 2 assists. And every goal is worth 4 secondary assists. To me there is 0 reason in todays NHL to count a secondary assist...

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
I would love for the Leafs to sign Matthews and or Marner, like now. To stick it to that POS Nylander.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
What's wrong with five years? Keeps the cap hit down and if the Leafs haven't won a Cup in that 5 years there's something seriously wrong and at that point they should be rebuilding. If they do win a Cup or 2 Matthews probably stays after the 5 years is up and by then the cap has gone up to 90 million anyway.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
What's wrong with five years? Keeps the cap hit down and if the Leafs haven't won a Cup in that 5 years there's something seriously wrong and at that point they should be rebuilding. If they do win a Cup or 2 Matthews probably stays after the 5 years is up and by then the cap has gone up to 90 million anyway.

Imagine if Washington had done that with Ovechkin.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Why should Matthews risk 5 years when he can get 8?
Remember, there is always a chance he can get a career ending injury anytime, (this rule apply to any player) you want so long contract as possible, so you get your garantue money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad