Friedman: Leafs and Matthews discusing extension?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Friedman: Leafs, Matthews camp working on extension

“I think they’re trying to keep them quiet, but I do think they’re really trying,” noted Friedman. “I think there have been some - I don’t know if I would say serious, or - I think there are some legitimate attempts on both sides to try to get something done.
“I do think Toronto is considering something in the five-year range for Matthews - that would buy one year of unrestricted free agency. I have to tell you guys, if I was in charge I’d be trying to get eight; but that number might be over 12 and I’m not sure Toronto thinks it wants to do all of that yet, so five would probably be a little bit less, which gives them some more cap room. Whatever the case, I do think both sides are seriously talking.
“I know there’s been a lot of talk about offer sheets - it’s my personal opinion it’s never going to get there, that they’re going to find a way to get this done - both sides - before that.
“I just think the bigger question is going to be term - is it going to be five years or eight years.”

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't blame Dubas, he got a valuable teaching moment with Nylander's negotiations this year. It would be 10x worse if Matthews is unsigned next summer. We will see how far his agents push it. It's going to be big IMO. He's a notorious fast starter, he may be picking the best time to deal.

Reactions: BHD

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
AM & Leafs have/are talking extension.....water is wet. This is not news.

Five years? WTF, why would they being five years only.....that’s dumb imo. This is the only interesting fact out of that

Reactions: BHD

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
What would be the problem with 5 year term? Am I missing something here?

I am in the same boat as you lol

Sign for 5 years, we will have more contracts off the books, allows flexibility right now, cap will increase (which I also know can be bad)

Sure we end up still paying, but that was always going to happen.

But I get it, go big for 8 years and not worry about it and his UFA years.

The UFA years is what would kill us

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't mind not going for the full 8 year term. But 5 is too short. That's too scary for me, at least give me 6. That way it runs out as Tavares contract ends giving you ample room to fit it wherever it goes after that.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I love how literally nobody has a single idea of what he values (Orr said winning) what he will ask for, what has been discussed etc.

But we will get the

8x14
8x15
8x13

lol

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Lock him up for 8 and don't get cute with it. Now would not be the best time to do so while he is leading the league in scoring though.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
AM & Leafs have/are talking extension.....water is wet. This is not news.

Five years? WTF, why would they being five years only.....that’s dumb imo. This is the only interesting fact out of that

Think of a larger picture.

Dubas goes and meets Nylander in Europe and now we hear they are ''already'' talking with Matthews.

Maybe Leafs do want to keep everyone happy. If Matthews is okay with 5 years (lower salary but gets free agency) that gives more cap for Marner, Nylander (if they manage to close Matthews contract before Dec 1st) and other pieces (RHD).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad