Friedman: Leafs and Matthews discusing extension?

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
If Dubas had a brain he would wait until McDavid is dominating statistically and then use his 12.5 AAV as the bench mark. 13 is too much for Matthews TBH, he should be closer to Eichel than McDavid in terms of $$$.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Right now Matthews is playing at a level where 8*12 start to look like a reasonable request from Matthews part.

What confuses me in the report is, if the Leafs are looking at Crosby/Stamkos/Toews/Kane-esque five year deal, where the numbers would set? It is difficult to see Matthews accepting less than nine even on shorter term so would three million cap space over the next five years be worth the trouble?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If Dubas had a brain he would wait until McDavid is dominating statistically and then use his 12.5 AAV as the bench mark. 13 is too much for Matthews TBH, he should be closer to Eichel than McDavid in terms of $$$.

Entirely possible that this is why he isn't extended yet.

No chance Matthews enters Art Ross consideration while sharing offensive responsibilities with Tavares.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
That's not really how it works though.

McDavid's contract is based on his performance when he signed the contract, not what he's doing now.

Cap has gone up too, 12.5 in the summer would be less cap % than McDavid got.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Right now Matthews is playing at a level where 8*12 start to look like a reasonable request from Matthews part.

What confuses me in the report is, if the Leafs are looking at Crosby/Stamkos/Toews/Kane-esque five year deal, where the numbers would set? It is difficult to see Matthews accepting less than nine even on shorter term so would three million cap space over the next five years be worth the trouble?

Maybe they're planning based on the aging curve of NHLers. 5 year contract until he's 27, and 8 years until he's 35. Instead of an 8 year contract until he's 30 and another 8 year deal until he's 38.

I'm not sure that kind of foresight is necessary or even intelligent, but they've got smart people working this stuff out.

Reactions: Mintoregano

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018

Next summer the RFA compensation for four first rounders would be about 9.5m. So Leafs would have to offer at least 9.5m or else Matthews would be "offer sheeted". Leafs don't to risk losing him for less than four first rounders. But the salary and term mark will partly be set by what Matthews wants in term and if there is a opportunity for an offer sheet, not so much on past historical salaries.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I think that Elliotte thinks that he thinks that Matthews and the Leafs are thinking of a number that they think could make Matthews think of signing a shorter extension. I think.
:laugh:

You just know that the speculation of a 5 year term will soon be viewed as carved in stone by many on this site despite the multiple references to it being only his assumption. :nod:

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I'm generally against even acknowledging the panic button. I tend to have faith that things will work out in the long run. But if the Leafs don't work on getting an 8 year deal done at any cost, I will be convinced that the sky is falling.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I could see him "settling" for something in the 11.5-12 mil range (depending on how his season goes). He doesn't have any hardware like McDavid did and getting paid more than Tavares shows that it is his team. With the cap going up, I could see him wanting what McDavid got (and all things being equal, getting it) but Toronto has more depth than Edmonton and I could see him signing for a little less in order to help out. I don't think there is any way he signs a 5 year deal either... it's going to be 8 years for very good money.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's playing way better than Eichel (10) and Tavares (11).

I don't see how his agent accepts a penny less than 12, maybe even 13 at this rate.

Crosby wasn't the highest paid player forever, someone will eventually get paid more than McDavid, if you're Matthews' agent you have to be thinking "why not us?".

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Right now is the worst time to start negotiations, matthews agent would at a minimum start at 13*8, or 11*5. Neither are optimal.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
5yrs x 10M for Matthews would make Nylander camp look silly and will set the bar for the other TML.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Right now is the worst time to start negotiations, matthews agent would at a minimum start at 13*8, or 11*5. Neither are optimal.

I think the Leafs are realizing they made a mistake not signing his extension first last summer.

Now the price starts there no matter what unless his scoring cools way off.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Matthews deserves 13m+. Its not about comparing him to Mcdavid anymore. I dont even think Mcdavid is a comparable. Mcdavid deserves 15m. All he did was take 2m less and gave it to Draisaitl instead. Any penny less than 13m is a discount imo, if he finishes with 50 g and 100+ points.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think the Leafs are realizing they made a mistake not signing his extension first last summer.

Now the price starts there no matter what unless his scoring cools way off.

Probably could have gotten it done with a 10*8 in the summer. The avs have a similar issue with rantanen, might have easily been a 7*7, but now he could ask for 10 and not be laughed ar

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Wtf is going on with this 5 year talk. At first I took it as a joke but really du(m)bas you’re going to go for 5? Of all years 5?

6 to end at the same time as Tavares ?
3 to be a RFA?
7-8 for security ?

Make him a UFA as early as possible ?

Have him locked during his prime not have to negotiate a UFA big money deal where the backhalf will be his out of prime years

Last edited:
Reactions: Shad

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
8 x 13 sounds about right. Even though its crazy to think that Matthews will most likely be paid more than McDavid.

Discounts are the dumbest shit ever because it is contingent on the GM doing good things with that extra money. McDavid literally took 1.5m less and gave it to Draisaitl. Who would bat an eye if Mcdavid made 14m and Draisaitl made 7m? He took a discount for nothing. The whole point in taking less is so everyone buys in and all the star players take a bit of a discount so they can afford better players.

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Probably could have gotten it done with a 10*8 in the summer. The avs have a similar issue with rantanen, might have easily been a 7*7, but now he could ask for 10 and not be laughed ar

I think they could've got 11.5x8 in the summer. His agent would want more than Tavares given that Matthews outproduced Tavares in his first 2 years.

They probably could've gotten that. The ask now for 8 will likely be 13 especially if the cap rises again.

And yeah honestly McDavid is probably worth 15 per.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Did any of the RFAs for this year sign in the summer? Honestly asking.

Matthews. Marner. Laine. Tkachuk. Aho. Ratanen. All seem to want to wait.

I love matthews and his start. But he isn’t going to win the ross. All these other players should keep the cost or the Ms down

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Wtf is going on with this 5 year talk. At first I took it as a joke but really du(m)bas you’re going to go for 5? Of all years 5?

6 to end at the same time as Tavares ?
4 to be a RFA?
7-8 for security ?

Make him a UFA as early as possible ?

Have him locked during his prime not have to negotiate a UFA big money deal where the backhalf will be his out of prime years

Matthews has 4 RFA years left. 5 buys 1 UFA year. 4 would take him straight to UFA. Different situation than Nylander who has 5.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think they could've got 11.5x8 in the summer. His agent would want more than Tavares given that Matthews outproduced Tavares in his first 2 years.

They probably could've gotten that. The ask now for 8 will likely be 13 especially if the cap rises again.

And yeah honestly McDavid is probably worth 15 per.

McDavid is worth not a dollar less than the max possible, which is 15.9 right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad