Friedman: Leafs and Matthews discusing extension?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Matthews has 4 RFA years left. 5 buys 1 UFA year. 4 would take him straight to UFA. Different situation than Nylander who has 5.

Okay than 3 year deal or quit the nonsense and cheapness admit you made a mistake based on stupid assumptions and can’t keep all 3, trade Nylander and give Matthews a proper 8 year deal like all the other franchise players.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
I think that Elliotte thinks that he thinks that Matthews and the Leafs are thinking of a number that they think could make Matthews think of signing a shorter extension. I think.
So much this. I think Elliott’s is completely ***** wrong. Leafs will go for 8 years and try to get as low AAV as possibly, but they will not sign him for five years to keep it down. If you have a top 5 player in the league, you sign him for as long as possible. Simple as that.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Okay than 3 year deal or quit the nonsense and cheapness admit you made a mistake based on stupid assumptions and can’t keep all 3, trade Nylander and give Matthews a proper 8 year deal like all the other franchise players.

I don't disagree, he should get 8 years but who are all the other franchise players? McDavid and Eichel? the 2nd of which is a clear overpay? Draisaitl who also got 8 years is an overpay? Who else has gotten 8 years coming out of their ELC recently? There's 1 good contract there so far and he's the best player in the league currently, pretty much any number is good for him. The norm used to be the 5 year range. Crosby, Kane, Toews, Tavares, Stamkos all got 5 years.

I'd prefer they go more than 5 years, preferably all 8 years, but I can see 6 or 7 making some sense too.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Why would he sign a 5 year contract? That would be stupid on all sides. You don’t buy many UFA years and he becomes an UFA early and why would his agent even agree to that. All the risk on NHL contracts fall on the teams with very little on the players. If you are an agent you definitely want the 8 year contract for the highest amount of money. It’s entirely guaranteed.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I really don't understand why Toronto would not push for 8 years, even if it is over $12 million.
matthews is crammed down everyones throats due to the TO media but hes a great player. He deserves eichel cash. regardless of the $$$ the term is far more important. you lock the kid up as long as you can

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Let him run until his last year of RFA or he can get 8. Doing 5 is a horrid idea.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
He's playing way better than Eichel (10) and Tavares (11).

I don't see how his agent accepts a penny less than 12, maybe even 13 at this rate.

Crosby wasn't the highest paid player forever, someone will eventually get paid more than McDavid, if you're Matthews' agent you have to be thinking "why not us?".
Honestly. I’m a leafs fan. What has Matthews done to deserve more then Tavares let alone McDavid? He was PPG in an injury season. Yes he has had a great start to the season. But the season is long and gruelling. McDavid has the hardware. Everyone is so concerned with him making more then Tavares. Tavares has put in how many years to earn that contract. Matthews has to do the same.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Matthews deserves 13m+. Its not about comparing him to Mcdavid anymore. I dont even think Mcdavid is a comparable. Mcdavid deserves 15m. All he did was take 2m less and gave it to Draisaitl instead. Any penny less than 13m is a discount imo, if he finishes with 50 g and 100+ points.
Big IF there. 1 100 point season shouldn’t get you 13 million. He might get 100 points and still not win the art Ross.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Big IF there. 1 100 point season shouldn’t get you 13 million. He might get 100 points and still not win the art Ross.

He's the second most valuable piece going forward in the entire league. 100 points and 50 goals might be just scratching the surface. He scored 40 as a 18 year old and was ppg as a 19 year old ..13m won't even be in the top 5 salaries like 5 years from now. McDavid took a discount and gave it to draisatl, he's a bad comparison. And no one else in the league has the same credentials as Matthews at this age if he continues this tear

Edit: don't even mention Tavares lol he's not even in the same league in terms of value or play going forward.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
He's the second most valuable piece going forward in the entire league. 100 points and 50 goals might be just scratching the surface. He scored 40 as a 18 year old and was ppg as a 19 year old ..13m won't even be in the top 5 salaries like 5 years from now. McDavid took a discount and gave it to draisatl, he's a bad comparison. And no one else in the league has the same credentials as Matthews at this age if he continues this tear
Like is said. MIGHT hit 100 points. Was PPG in an injury season. It’s a long season. 13 million MIGHT not be in the top 5. But why not just start handing out blank cheques. Good way to start screwing up the pay scale.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Shanahan’s comments will not play well with agents. Gets same percentage as McDavid

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I love how literally nobody has a single idea of what he values (Orr said winning) what he will ask for, what has been discussed etc.

But we will get the

8x14
8x15
8x13

lol
Ive seen nothing from the kid that suggests he'd be willing to leave money on the table.

Didn't he have some sort of mini standoff with lou lams over his elc or something?

Reactions: flamesforcup

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
NDBB96K.png

Reactions: InAbsensia

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Ive seen nothing from the kid that suggests he'd be willing to leave money on the table.

Didn't he have some sort of mini standoff with lou lams over his elc or something?
Meh I think that was just speculation because he signed his elc a little late and lou had this policy of not giving rookie bonuses .

If he really wants to play for Toronto for his entire career 5 years isn't that bad if they are trying to win the cup in those five years . You just gotta run the risk of him not wanting to be a leaf for life and leaving .

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
He's not worth more than McDavid and it's sad he could get it

Great player all the same though

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Give him the 15.9 on whatever extention length he agrees to. After all, like all the best draft picks that make the NHL straight out of junior, he's been underpaid for 3 years due to those ECLs. Assuming he hit all his bonuses he's been playing for 0.925 & 1.85 = 3.775 for 2 & going on 3 years. He's already played discount years for TML.

Reactions: allevat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad