Friedman: Leafs "All in" for best forward they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Toronto isn't going to be able to field a better roster than Tampa or Colorado. But they can sweep through the weak North and be well-rested for the other division winners. All it takes is a hot goalie so Toronto is smart to go all in. They will never have an easier path to the conference finals.

The strongest do not always win.
Toronto might try to use its chance.
Required: G, D, LW, 3C
Toronto has the resources to do this.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
"This is subject to changes" - that's how you can tell it's not a credible source. No real source would feel the need to set a safety net like that

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
A few things.

Getting Hall at the right price is fine. But the longer this goes on, I doubt we get him without giving up one of Robertson or Sandin, because I am reading prospects, not picks are on the table. I would rather give Amirov than those 2. Hall would go next to Matthews and Marner allowing Hyman to solidify the 3rd line. Kerfoot would probably need to go as well.

Getting Foligno allows Hyman to stay on the #1 line, making our 3rd line pretty tough to play against still. Kerfoot needs to go.
Maybe swing a deal with Savard included, even as depth going in to the PO...we have been really lucky with ur D health.

I'm not even thinking about cap..it has to make sense that way obviously...but that's my wish list now: Hall or Foligno and Savard.

Hall. Matthews. Marner
Galch. Tavares. Nylander
Hyman. Giraffe. Mikheyev
Joe T. Spezza. Simmonds

or

Hyman. Matthews. Marner
Galch. Tavares. Nylander
Foligno. Giraffe. Mikheyev
Joe T. Spezza. Simmonds (Vintage line)

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
A few things.

Getting Hall at the right price is fine. But the longer this goes on, I doubt we get him without giving up one of Robertson or Sandin, because I am reading prospects, not picks are on the table. I would rather give Amirov than those 2. Hall would go next to Matthews and Marner allowing Hyman to solidify the 3rd line. Kerfoot would probably need to go as well.

Getting Foligno allows Hyman to stay on the #1 line, making our 3rd line pretty tough to play against still. Kerfoot needs to go.
Maybe swing a deal with Savard included, even as depth going in to the PO...we have been really lucky with ur D health.

I'm not even thinking about cap..it has to make sense that way obviously...but that's my wish list now: Hall or Foligno and Savard.

Hall. Matthews. Marner
Galch. Tavares. Nylander
Hyman. Giraffe. Mikheyev
Joe T. Spezza. Simmonds

or

Hyman. Matthews. Marner
Galch. Tavares. Nylander
I don't know which one i like better, but i like them both thats for sure.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
A few things.

Hall. Matthews. Marner
Galch. Tavares. Nylander
Hyman. Giraffe. Mikheyev
Joe T. Spezza. Simmonds

or

Hyman. Matthews. Marner
Galch. Tavares. Nylander

Hall as a rental (even at 50% retained) is not worth any of our top prospects or a 1st round pick. If that's Buffalo's asking price, Kyle needs to look elsewhere.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I never quite understood the mentality for win "OMG WE HAVE TO WIN RIGHT NOW" while sacrificing success for a longer duration in the future even if it the Leafs.

Right now on April 8 2021 the Leafs are #!1 in points in the NHL, the result of the Carolina VS Florida game will either see Carolina tie them or Florida pull 1 point ahead, or potentially both tie them if Florida gets 1 point.

Regardless of the result the Leafs are a top 3 team in the league right now.

If now isn't the time to go for it when is?

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
A few things.

Hall. Matthews. Marner
Galch. Tavares. Nylander
Hyman. Giraffe. Mikheyev
Joe T. Spezza. Simmonds

or

Hyman. Matthews. Marner
Galch. Tavares. Nylander
When was the last time anyone won a cup with a 3C of Engvall's caliber? That is their biggest weakness, I hope Dubas addresses it

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Right now on April 8 2021 the Leafs are #!1 in points in the NHL, the result of the Carolina VS Florida game will either see Carolina tie them or Florida pull 1 point ahead, or potentially both tie them if Florida gets 1 point.

Regardless of the result the Leafs are a top 3 team in the league right now.

If now isn't the time to go for it when is?
Tomorrow.
Tomorrow is always the best time.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
A few things.

Hall. Matthews. Marner
Galch. Tavares. Nylander
Hyman. Giraffe. Mikheyev
Joe T. Spezza. Simmonds

or

Hyman. Matthews. Marner
Galch. Tavares. Nylander

You wrote:
“I'm not even thinking about cap..it has to make sense that way obviously...but that's my wish list now: Hall or Foligno and Savard.”

Your wish is real.
There can be all three players.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

This would be a massive overpayment.... Remove Sandin and Robertson, throw in 1st rounder 2021, and B prospect.

Yeah that is a big no lol we are not adding 2 AAA prospects and a pick for Hall who has been utter TRASH this year lol

Hell the Islanders got two players for a 1st and they are both better then Hall this year.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

This would be a massive overpayment.... Remove Sandin and Robertson, throw in 1st rounder 2021, and B prospect.

agreed including both blue-chip prospects would make that price excessive,
but including 1 (or Lillegren or Amirov) might be the cost of doing business,
for a top contender, as Leafs seem to be, to fill exactly their targets at TDL

Reactions: bernmeister

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
His shooting, assists, and hits are near identical to his break-out season. If he had 2018-2019 shooting % he'd be on pace for 66 points.

He's a big guy that lost a ton of time to covid and started slowly.

His skill set is rare and he'll be an important part of SJ's future.

There isn't any indication or article stating that Timo Meier had Covid. Now Tomas Hertl lost time to Covid (he's also a big guy so maybe you confused those two).

Although I mentioned Timo yesterday, there is a big revelation today that Labanc may be available (article from Sharks beat writer below saying that he's available for the right price but is not being actively shopped). This comes as a surprise because Labanc has really improved his game (esp. his skating) and my opinion is that I don't want him traded. But he may be available. I still don't like Timo though.

You guys are welcome to come discuss it with us on the Sharks board.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Is this how Buffalo makes teams shake in their boots this year?

"You watch out, we're gunna bolster a teams lineup if you aren't careful!!!"

It's a case of "Play the hand your dealt" I suppose - Leafs arent the only suitor for Hall, nor the preferable one due to cap restraints and money having to come back. If I'm TML thoygh, I sure as hell don't wanna play a bolstered BOS team after winning* my division by playing absolute plugs 7x each all season... Something to consider.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Then you can trade him to Boston cuz the Leafs aren’t trading Sandin

They quite possibly will. There's been Smoke around Hall/DeBrusk for a couple weeks now, plus way easier to figure the money constraints out as well since BOS isn't upside down on cap.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
When was the last time anyone won a cup with a 3C of Engvall's caliber? That is their biggest weakness, I hope Dubas addresses it
I think you'll find that Kerfoot/Spezza would compare well against the last bunch of cup winners's 3C's other than maybe Tampa last year that happened to be particularly strong through the middle. Engvall's offense won't compare, but he's not going to hurt you on the ice and it's debatable whether he's the 3rd line center or if Spezza is, they play almost the same minutes.

I think the big takeaway when looking at Engvall's usage is how high his DZS% is, he's there to suppress offense rather than create it.

I don't mind the idea of an upgrade but I think it's a bit of a mirage to think we're weak at 3C because of how it's used for us and how good 4C (Spezza) and alternate 3C (Kerfoot) are.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
It's a case of "Play the hand your dealt" I suppose - Leafs arent the only suitor for Hall, nor the preferable one due to cap restraints and money having to come back. If I'm TML thoygh, I sure as hell don't wanna play a bolstered BOS team after winning* my division by playing absolute plugs 7x each all season... Something to consider.
Yes let’s make all our decisions based on the hypothetical concept of facing a team 3 rounds deep in the playoffs. A team who even if we both make it that far we have a better chance of not playing than playing with this year’s playoff format.

You convinced me, we now must out bid that team at any cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad