Friedman: Leafs "All in" for best forward they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
It is for me. Nylander is a perimeter player. A poor man's Gaudreau. He's a good offensive player, but Tkachuk is unique. A 2-way power forward and pest who can score 30 goals. Name me another player in the league like that.

who scores almost all his goals from the slot ...go figure. yea, Nylander can skate circles around Tk and often does, and maybe too often.
I'd also say because of his play style Tkachuk will be less durable, as he's already missed a fair bit of time to injury.
...also remember, if he ever becomes a Leaf, all his cheap shots will be insta-suspensions

Calgary wouldnt entertain trading him anyways

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
It is for me. Nylander is a perimeter player. A poor man's Gaudreau. He's a good offensive player, but Tkachuk is unique. A 2-way power forward and pest who can score 30 goals. Name me another player in the league like that.

Gaudreau has 27 points and Nylander has 30 points... maybe Gaudreau is a poor mans Nylander? Nylander outscored him last year too. Johnny's best days are behind him.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

check out his goalscoring blob...sure doesn't look like it to me.

it sounds to me like you should keep Tkachuk. if he's so unique and great, why would you want an inferior perimeter player like Nylander as the return anyway?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Looking like Josh Anderson may be another of of those guy.

The Hyman vs MT was a bad comparison but Hyman definitely puts up 30 goals last year if not for the shortened season (34 goal pace)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The valuation of Leaf players is a bit ridiculous in this thread. Hyman a 30 goal scorer and Nylander isn't a perimeter player. Hyman is a product of the players he plays with. He's a gritty 10-15 goal bottom 6 player. Chiasson scored 25 goals playing with McDavid. Hyman had 10 goals in the season he didn't play with a top 10 player. Nylander benefits from playing with elite players too. Put Gaudreau with Tavares or Matthews and he's well over a PPG every season.

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
Friedman saying the leafs are in on the best forward is hyperbolic on his part, probably so people tune in.

Leafs cant get anyone with term because it messes up their expansion draft.

As for the best rentals I think its fair to say Ovechkin and Getzlaf wont be leafs.

Hall wont cost a first because he's having a weaker year.

Cup winning teams tend to just work around the edges. My choice for rentals are Laughton, Oleksiak and Ullmark. These guys are doable and wont break the bank.

Reactions: bukwas

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Would like to see Max Domi with the Leafs for the sake of their fans. But it'd be satisfying for Leaf Fans to know they got both players that the Habs traded away.

But this screams Taylor Hall to me.

Reactions: Leaftors

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
The valuation of Leaf players is a bit ridiculous in this thread. Hyman a 30 goal scorer and Nylander isn't a perimeter player. Hyman is a product of the players he plays with. He's a gritty 10-15 goal bottom 6 player. Chiasson scored 25 goals playing with McDavid. Hyman had 10 goals in the season he didn't play with a top 10 player. Nylander benefits from playing with elite players too. Put Gaudreau with Tavares or Matthews and he's well over a PPG every season.
All of the Leafs players "benefit from playing with elite players", but no one ever actually says who these elite players are. Matthews loses polls to Eichel because he's not that great but gets to play with elite players. Marner loses polls because he's a soft, one dimensional winger who plays with elite players.

You can't quite get to who these elite guys are.

Reactions: tonymono67

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Victor Olofsson is good on the power play, and the Leafs - at least, at present - are not. What would the price be for him?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I like Tkatchuk but liken him to a slightly more glorified Zach Hyman.

The difference between him and Nylander is not Amirov and a 1st, especially when Nylander is the superior player in actually driving the play versus Tkatchuk is more of a beneficiary. That's just my opinion, to be honest.
Good lord.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
All of the Leafs players "benefit from playing with elite players", but no one ever actually says who these elite players are. Matthews loses polls to Eichel because he's not that great but gets to play with elite players. Marner loses polls because he's a soft, one dimensional winger who plays with elite players.

You can't quite get to who these elite guys are.
1. There are maybe 3 centers in the same sphere as Matthews. Crosby, McDavid and Mackinnon. The Leafs have a top 4 forward. Marner could be called a top 20 forward without any controversy. Tavares is a top 15 center without controversy. Nylander is a good offensive player. I'd call him a 1st line player, but not an elite player. Hyman and Mikheyev are good third liners.

2. Where Leaf fans get in trouble is when they start saying stupid things. Things like Hyman is basically Tkachuk. That's when other people start to respond in equally ridiculous fashion. He was a 10 goal player when he started playing with two top 20 players. It's the Chiasson or Cheechoo effect if you'd like to go further back.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
just remember nothing is a given here on the north any of the top four can win this division in the playoffs it going to be a battle and then how do they fair against the american teams in the semmis...
That's the question every team is going to have to ask themselves: are we good enough as it is to make a run to the Cup, we don't care who we get? Or, do we think we need to improve to solidify our chances / avoid a certain matchup right off the bat? Doesn't matter if this is a 56-game season in divisional play and you don't see anyone else until the semis. Winning a Cup this year is still winning the Stanley Cup. If you think you've got a shot at it, you have to take it - and if that means you make a deal to improve your shot at it, you do it.

Reactions: Getz2noone

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Friedman saying the leafs are in on the best forward is hyperbolic on his part, probably so people tune in.

Leafs cant get anyone with term because it messes up their expansion draft.

As for the best rentals I think its fair to say Ovechkin and Getzlaf wont be leafs.

Hall wont cost a first because he's having a weaker year.

Cup winning teams tend to just work around the edges. My choice for rentals are Laughton, Oleksiak and Ullmark. These guys are doable and wont break the bank.

Agreed. Good points here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->