Friedman: Leafs "All in" for best forward they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It's a case of "Play the hand your dealt" I suppose - Leafs arent the only suitor for Hall, nor the preferable one due to cap restraints and money having to come back. If I'm TML thoygh, I sure as hell don't wanna play a bolstered BOS team after winning* my division by playing absolute plugs 7x each all season... Something to consider.
Alot of variables.
I'd venture to say Toronto isn't worried about how Boston (a team that will struggle in their own division, if they make it) adding a guy like Taylor Hall. I get the idea of trying to stir up some interest / up the return. But I really don't see a fight for a guy no one wanted a mere months ago on a long term deal...and then proved everyone right with his current play.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Reading some of the posts in here is ridiculous. The Devils-Iles trade is more along the lines of what we will see with trading for a premium piece. Nobody is trading away the future this year, especially with a flat cap right now. Hell that trade maybe the only 1st moved.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Toronto is so ALL IN that they might even take glendeling or leighton or somebody else with Hall and Ullmark. Even Vatanen is a possibility for the PP units. So the word on the offices is real high, real high.

The Maple Leafs are the most wanted club to be right now and the most trendy. Just like with Tavares etc, Lindros, Neauwendyk, Roberts, Gary, Brian Leetch, Phil Housleys etc, the Toronto Maple Leafs are the most powerful and richest club and THEY DO WHAT THEY WANT. They get what they want. Others might be jelious, but don't be alarmed. Others will only be the watchers. The followers, Maple leafs is the doers. They get and take what they want right now.

Real power is not something that's given to you. It's what you take.
i agree with you on most of what you said, but there is one catch the cap, its a big big problem, you more or less have to pay for cap room off of someone else if you want to make a move when your tight against the cap, no matter how much money you have remember this is a tight cap league, the days of free spending are long gone.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Toronto isn't going to be able to field a better roster than Tampa or Colorado. But they can sweep through the weak North and be well-rested for the other division winners. All it takes is a hot goalie so Toronto is smart to go all in. They will never have an easier path to the conference finals.
just remember nothing is a given here on the north any of the top four can win this division in the playoffs it going to be a battle and then how do they fair against the american teams in the semmis...

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Alot of variables.
I'd venture to say Toronto isn't worried about how Boston (a team that will struggle in their own division, if they make it) adding a guy like Taylor Hall. I get the idea of trying to stir up some interest / up the return. But I really don't see a fight for a guy no one wanted a mere months ago on a long term deal...and then proved everyone right with his current play.

Don't make stuff up to set up a narrative.

The flat cap was literally the ONLY reason he wasn't swimming in multi-year, large dollar offers and you know it. Fact is he wanted to play for Kreuger (Ooops), as he loved his system in EDM - oh, and Buffalo game him $8M for a shortened season w/ no strings/term attached allowing him to go where he wanted after the league returned to normal.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Gaudreau (50%), Gio (50%), Bennett (50%), Rittich

2022 1st, 2022 2nd, Kerfoot, Amirov, Liljegren, Andersen
not happening, seems like a fair trade value wise but just don't see that happening at all the cap doesn't match, and i don't see either team making that big a deal before the trade deadline...

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
They quite possibly will. There's been Smoke around Hall/DeBrusk for a couple weeks now, plus way easier to figure the money constraints out as well since BOS isn't upside down on cap.

That’s fine but you’re not getting Sandin for him let alone Sandin+

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Gaudreau (50%), Gio (50%), Bennett (50%), Rittich

2022 1st, 2022 2nd, Kerfoot, Amirov, Liljegren, Andersen

That's an awful lot to pay, when you have two expiring contracts in Bennett and Rittich, and you are likely to lose one of Gaudreau or Gio in the expansion draft. Clearly nobody wants to pay Bennett his QO either. It's just too much to pay, for what will mostly be rentals for us.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Hall as a rental (even at 50% retained) is not worth any of our top prospects or a 1st round pick. If that's Buffalo's asking price, Kyle needs to look elsewhere.

I would happily pay a 2021 1st for Hall @ 50%. It's a bit of a weak draft and Dubas has been money in the later rounds recently.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Don't make stuff up to set up a narrative.

The flat cap was literally the ONLY reason he wasn't swimming in multi-year, large dollar offers and you know it. Fact is he wanted to play for Kreuger (Ooops), as he loved his system in EDM - oh, and Buffalo game him $8M for a shortened season w/ no strings/term attached allowing him to go where he wanted after the league returned to normal.
Oh I'm the one making the narrative? haha. You literally dreamed up a scenario where Toronto should prevent Boston from improving (a team they are unlikely even to meet in the playoffs).

Teams aren't rushing to add Hall for anything short of retained, minimal asset deal.

Last edited:

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
There isn't any indication or article stating that Timo Meier had Covid. Now Tomas Hertl lost time to Covid (he's also a big guy so maybe you confused those two).

Although I mentioned Timo yesterday, there is a big revelation today that Labanc may be available (article from Sharks beat writer below saying that he's available for the right price but is not being actively shopped). This comes as a surprise because Labanc has really improved his game (esp. his skating) and my opinion is that I don't want him traded. But he may be available. I still don't like Timo though.

You guys are welcome to come discuss it with us on the Sharks board.

Well everyone lost a ton of time to covid. Sorry, I should have been more specific. The long break in the off-season obviously hurt him. I'm not saying he lost time from having Covid, just to the circumstances of Covid.

I think Meier is much more important to the Sharks' future than Labanc, personally.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
What about Matthew Tkachuk for the Leafs? I think he'd be the perfect fit for your roster. Gaudreau/Monahan aren't the right types for the Leafs, but Tkachuk would be perfect. I'd be looking for Nylander, 1st and Amirov back.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
What about Matthew Tkachuk for the Leafs? I think he'd be the perfect fit for your roster. Gaudreau/Monahan aren't the right types for the Leafs, but Tkachuk would be perfect. I'd be looking for Nylander, 1st and Amirov back.

I like Tkatchuk but liken him to a slightly more glorified Zach Hyman.

The difference between him and Nylander is not Amirov and a 1st, especially when Nylander is the superior player in actually driving the play versus Tkatchuk is more of a beneficiary. That's just my opinion, to be honest.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I like Tkatchuk but liken him to a slightly more glorified Zach Hyman.

The difference between him and Nylander is not Amirov and a 1st, especially when Nylander is the superior player in actually driving the play versus Tkatchuk is more of a beneficiary. That's just my opinion, to be honest.
This is why you should never post with certain Leaf fans. I like Hyman, but he's never scored 30 goals, never led the league in penalties drawn and is not even remotely in the same class of player. Comparing Hyman to Tkachuk is like comparing Monahan to Matthews because they both have a nice wrist shot.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

you can prefer Tkachuk over Nylander if you want....but the difference is not a top prospect and a 1st rounder.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
you can prefer Tkachuk over Nylander if you want....but the difference is not a top prospect and a 1st rounder.
It is for me. Nylander is a perimeter player. A poor man's Gaudreau. He's a good offensive player, but Tkachuk is unique. A 2-way power forward and pest who can score 30 goals. Name me another player in the league like that.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Toronto's goal to win the division?
I thought Toronto wanted to win the Stanley Cup.

Then there will be very weak clubs: TBL, AVS, VGS ... :)
Get stronger? Why is this needed? Stanley Cup !!!

Palmieri is now unavailable.
Available (@ 50% Ret): Bernier, Foligno, Hall, Dzingel, Hoffman, Schwartz, Ryan, Glendening, Savard, Stecher, Vatanen, Kulikov, Del Zotto...

Choose - who is needed?

i don't give a sht about those other 3 clubs,,they better be very worried facing us this year

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
This is why you should never post with certain Leaf fans. I like Hyman, but he's never scored 30 goals, never led the league in penalties drawn and is not even remotely in the same class of player. Comparing Hyman to Tkachuk is like comparing Monahan to Matthews because they both have a nice wrist shot.

Rich man's Zach Hyman is a top notch player. I wasn't trying to diss Tkathuck at all. I see the value he brings. Haven't seen it this year but I think he's a strong core piece.

He's not worth Nylander + Amirov + 1st though.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
It is for me. Nylander is a perimeter player. A poor man's Gaudreau. He's a good offensive player, but Tkachuk is unique. A 2-way power forward and pest who can score 30 goals. Name me another player in the league like that.

Brady Tkatchuk. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad