Rumor: Leafs agressively after Tanev

Pick the options you'd trade for Tanev by himself

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I disagree as I feel he is far better then Hainsey playing on a bad team. He is younger and a better skater and passer.

Hainsey plays (and has always played) much bigger, and harder, minutes than Tanev. On better defense corps, no less. And has managed to be a similar possession player as tanev while doing it.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
So basically youre saying what I've been saying all along: "perfect partner for Rielly". Also, I've been saying we need to check in on Pysyk for at least a couple months now. Really a top-6 of this would be fantastic:

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Pysyk
Dermott - Hainsey

Also, how good is Giordano. Damn man, that guy is still so unbelievably underrated. Lindholm, Letang, and Pesce/Slavin too.
Oh good, 2 guys we shouldn't be interested in.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
My bad I misread sorry..,

no, no need to apologise. i mean, that's just what i've been saying. a lot of people think you can just be in the situation we're in now and then slice off pieces of the team and then sell it as "well we're thinking of the future, hope you're on board." and that the players will be hunky dory with it.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Not only is Tanev the perfect guy for Rielly, it also means that Hainsey can look after Gardiner. Also Z can be sheltered on the 3rd pair. we need a rhd who can push everyone on that side down a spot

That is a very good point. Babcock himself publicly said he wants a top pairing right handed shot that plays lots of minutes. Another major benefit in acquiring Tanev is the cost certainty. As great as McDonagh, EK and others are, they all will have to be re-signed and will likely not fit the cap structure of the Leafs with the many youngsters coming up. Tanev is a very cost effective player, who fits the top pairing right handed need, and has 3 years left on his deal, Really a no brianer, and in keeping in the same vein as the Isles trade receiving picks, when Tanev's deal is done Liljegren likely will be knocking on the door.

Reactions: Kurtz

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The fact that Carrick and Polak are still rotating in and out of the lineup means that Babcock likes neither of them enough to have them stay in the line up. I’d put money on getting a d man at the deadline whether it be Tanev or not

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
History will show you that Haisney Played on a lot of bad teams.

Also top pair on a cup winner last year, and maybe a top-5 team this year.

Meanwhile, the only time Tanev ever played on a playoff team was back when he was breaking into the league as a bottom pair dman.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm on the same boat as most posters, I think Tanev is the type of D we need, but don't like the fact that he's always injured. Maybe our top-of-the-line doctors and sports science team can help him be healthy?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Tanev would get tougher usage here, in a more high paced system....and probably play in higher stakes (playoffs etc), I'd be extremely worried about his durability history.....the guy misses way too many games and has never played more than 70 games in a season (and that's his high-end total).

I'd far prefer OEL, McDonagh....and Hammer

He would get tougher usage, but he'd have a better team and partner than he's ever had. I think he can make the transition rather smoothly.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
except that Hainsey is better than tanev and pysyk.

I personally think he's getting carried by Rielly at this point, and he needs either to lay off the PK minutes, or lay off the 5v5 comp. I'd also argue that I believe Tanev to better at their respective roles. Sure Hainsey is better offensively than "black hole Tanev" but we have Rielly to create offense.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Its just a flesh wound
d8ed0df7eae2d85c6ac46202f946b48d--flesh-wound-monty-python.jpg

Reactions: Volcanologist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad