Rumor: Leafs agressively after Tanev

Pick the options you'd trade for Tanev by himself

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
but he's just doing what he's always done.

He's been fine in the ridiculous comp. I just think a guy who can suppress shots/chances better is a better fit beside Rielly.. who we saw could handle himself well enough last year.

I see Gardiner-Hainsey as a huge improvement over Z as well. With those as our 4 best defenseman imo were a legit contender.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Maybe that's why? He plays a safe quiet game so I don't notice him?

Yeah. He consistently let's up less shots than the rest of his team in an average 2nd pairing role. I really like him as a long-term 2nd pair RHD to compliment the offensive side of Dermott/Gardiner.

Reactions: saltming

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
A lot of Burke era fans in this thread. His horrid GMing has rubbed off on them, apparently.

You stay away from Tanev because he is oft injured and we'd be looking for a stabilizing presence on the 1st/2nd pairing. He can't stabilize shit from the pressbox. Stay away from him.

You stay away from Luke because he's a Babcock toy. Unless you want Matthews running with a Hyman-Glendenning duo on his wings, you don't even look back. The last thing this team needs is another 4th liner soaking up heavy minutes and robbing Marner, Nylander and Mathews of quality, heavy minutes.

You take a flyer on McDonagh and gauge value/asking price. You have to be aware however that adding McD is going to take away opportunity from either Reilly or Gardiner on the PP - unless Babcock reverts to a traditional 3-2 approach. You also have to question where he plays. Can he slot in next to Riles or Gards or does he have to provide an anchor for Zaitzev?

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
If we can get him for cheap why wouldn’t we? I’d much rather Zaitsev/Tanev on our THIRD!!!!! pair than Polak or Carrick

You won't get him for cheap. Van City don't have a ton of assets that will return a nice yield - Tanev is their highest.

You would be trading 2nd to low 1st pairing value for a 3rd pairing guy who is not reliable.

Kick the tires all you want - but don't give in to lunacy.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
No he isn't. Hainsey has not business being on the top pairing. Tanev would be much better there.

Except he wouldn't last there. He'd get injured and then your defense is throw into chaos. We need stabilization. We can't sell assets for a player as unreliable as Tanev.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Also top pair on a cup winner last year, and maybe a top-5 team this year.

Meanwhile, the only time Tanev ever played on a playoff team was back when he was breaking into the league as a bottom pair dman.
HAinsey was awful on the top pair for the penguins

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Except he wouldn't last there. He'd get injured and then your defense is throw into chaos. We need stabilization. We can't sell assets for a player as unreliable as Tanev.
Our defence would be the same with tanev injured if that was the case.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
If we can get him for cheap why wouldn’t we? I’d much rather Zaitsev/Tanev on our THIRD!!!!! pair than Polak or Carrick

Because he won’t be cheap. And if you’re paying quality assets than you kinda want a player who can stay healthy enough to help the team. His games played have been declining for four straight years, and while Canucks fans are selling that they are all banana-peel accidents, they aren’t.

I’d rather spend our first adding to our RD pool with Jett Woo by using our pick, and waiting on a more ideal trade opportunity to come along.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
he has term so Van shouldn't be selling low
but he is injured so the price might not be to high

so expect it will take at least a 1st + decent prospect (Johnsson or Rasenen) + another conditional pick (3rd but becomes a 2nd if leafs make finals) and maybe leafs can send some cap back like Martin

I could live with that

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
Agreed.

If we did not have tradeable assets beyond Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Reilly, Dermott, Kadri, Zaitsev, ETC... we would not be contemplating this. There is our core we are going to ride with for the next 3-5 years minimum.

But we do...

There are very few teams that are in better position to add than the Leafs.

Not wanting to give up maybe's like Rasanan and speculative draft picks in the late first/second rounds in the position we are in seems overly conservative (to put it as politely as possible) given the position we are in.

Just because you have money in your pocket doesn't mean you need to run out and spend it. There isn't anything out there, at the prices quoted that make sense for the team.

Reactions: Cotton and IBeL13f

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->