Rumor: Leafs agressively after Tanev

Pick the options you'd trade for Tanev by himself

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Oh good. Please tell me why you think Tanev and Pysyk are two guys we shouldn't have interest in.
The Tanev issue has been beaten to a fine red mist.
I don't see anything in Pysyk. He's fine. Nothing special. So why am I spending assets for a guy who's only decent. Also, Florida is rebuilding or just exiting a rebuild. If he's good for us, he'd be good for them then too wouldn't he?

We aren't a big move away from contending. And these guys are going to cost big assets that I have no interest in spending.
Keep the powder dry and wait for the move to come to us. Our window really hasn't even opened. We've probably only just cracked the blinds.

Be patient. We finished last 22 months ago. We aren't ready go for it yet.
How's Hall for Larsson working out?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
yes but he played like crap when he was on the top pair. they won despite him being on the top pairing

He wasn't crap at all. He got the toughest usage by a fair amount, came into their team mid-way through the year, and was asked to simultaneously be a shut down D-man for them and a PMD. If you asked Hainsey to be a PMD with the Leafs (i.e. not with a Rielly, Gardiner, or even Dermott)....he wouldn't look great either.

Some Pens fans just unnecessarily scapegoated him, because he was a rental (and because guys like Maatta and Domoulin are infalliable in their eyes as long-term pieces). He was an easy target, having the weight of the world on his shoulders in terms of what they were asking him to do.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Just because you have money in your pocket doesn't mean you need to run out and spend it. There isn't anything out there, at the prices quoted that make sense for the team.
Yep. I don't mind spending some money, but the deal's gotta make sense. Luckily, I think our management team feels the same way, and won't write a blank cheque just because there are players available - if they're not the right fit for the right cost, we're getting pretty good at this patient approach, and don't need to go spending assets just because we have them. Having them is a good thing, too.

Reactions: Cotton

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Yeah. He consistently let's up less shots than the rest of his team in an average 2nd pairing role. I really like him as a long-term 2nd pair RHD to compliment the offensive side of Dermott/Gardiner.

He consistently lets up less shots than the rest of his team in an average/low-end 1st pairing role (Terrible at generating possession), at least in my opinion looking at his corsica stats. However, I'd like him on a 2nd pairing role as well, or on a 1A/1B pairing.

Rielly - Hainsey/Tanev
Gardiner - Hainsey/Tanev
Dermott - Zaitsev

Then when Hainsey's gone in 2 years, (Gardiner maybe resigned? If not then put Borgman in his place):

Rielly - Tanev
Dermott - Lilijegren
Gardiner/Borgman - Zaitsev

Reactions: Smif and Morgs

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I hear what you're saying, but I don't think the price on him would be lower in the summer. It's a buyer's market this deadline by all accounts, and the fact that he's currently on IR should impact his value further. There will likely be more suitors for him in the summer (teams who are out of contention this season will be looking to load up for next), and as you'd mentioned, since he has 2 years left, teams getting him will still have plenty of control.

That makes sense as well. Well if he does get traded we'll either be kicking ourselves for not trading for him (or because we over paid), or happy that we didn't pay the price (or because we got a steal)

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He consistently lets up less shots than the rest of his team in an average/low-end 1st pairing role (Terrible at generating possession), at least in my opinion looking at his corsica stats. However, I'd like him on a 2nd pairing role as well, or on a 1A/1B pairing.

Rielly - Hainsey/Tanev
Gardiner - Hainsey/Tanev
Dermott - Zaitsev

Then when Hainsey's gone in 2 years, (Gardiner maybe resigned? If not then put Borgman in his place):

Rielly - Tanev
Dermott - Lilijegren
Gardiner/Borgman - Zaitsev

Problem is health. Purely. That's easily a SC winning D core, but you need Tanev to be healthy for the playoffs.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Tanev for Bracco, 1st, Martin and carrick is what I'd offer. Carrick's the price of dumping martin on them, so Bracco and a mid to low 1st for tanev is fair value.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Tanev is not a good future for us.
People might think we're a contender and that's fine but I'm sorry this team is still in it's infancy (IMO) and far to newly assembled to be trading a 1st round pick. We should absolutely not be trading a 1st (at least for the next 5 years) without having an extra.
Even Tampa with Stamkos/Hedman had their 1sts. They even moved players to get more. No 1sts, no Droin which became Sergechev, Callan Foote, Vasileyvski, Namestikov, etc.
Either JVR becomes a 1st or don't do it.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
yes but he played like crap when he was on the top pair. they won despite him being on the top pairing
:laugh: Don’t let the truth stop you from spewing baseless nonsense.... Oddly enough, anyone credible agrees he was a valued member of that team.

You’re clueless.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
People might think we're a contender and that's fine but I'm sorry this team is still in it's infancy (IMO) and far to newly assembled to be trading a 1st round pick. We should absolutely not be trading a 1st (at least for the next 5 years) without having an extra.
Even Tampa with Stamkos/Hedman had their 1sts. They even moved players to get more. No 1sts, no Droin which became Sergechev, Callan Foote, Vasileyvski, Namestikov, etc.
Either JVR becomes a 1st or don't do it.

Agreed. With proper depth and off season planning, there should be no reason to trade 1st round picks until our core are on UFA money.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Hainsey has always played more, and tougher, minutes than Tanev.

Always.

IMO that small difference between QoC is made up by the difference in their QoT and zone starts. Like Antheopeosis (mispelled his name) said, to me it's a matter of health. I don't want to give up assets for a defender who's a injury risk even if he's a low-end 1st pairing D.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
How about:

giphy.gif

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The Tanev issue has been beaten to a fine red mist.

Lol ok.

I don't see anything in Pysyk. He's fine. Nothing special. So why am I spending assets for a guy who's only decent. Also, Florida is rebuilding or just exiting a rebuild. If he's good for us, he'd be good for them then too wouldn't he?

Great at suppressing shots and chances. Tallon cleaned house and gave away Demers, Smith, and Marchessault for almost nothing.

He's an above average defensive top-4 defenseman.

We aren't a big move away from contending. And these guys are going to cost big assets that I have no interest in spending.

Disagree. And I don't think they're worth big assets, unless you think a Brown or 2nds / prospects are "big assets". Worked with Fred.

Keep the powder dry and wait for the move to come to us. Our window really hasn't even opened. We've probably only just cracked the blinds.

Be patient. We finished last 22 months ago. We aren't ready go for it yet.

Now is actually mathematically the best time to go for it. JVR/Bozak are about to be let go, and our stars are all about to get off their ELC's. We only have the space for more great players once.

How's Hall for Larsson working out?

Lol wut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->