Rumor: Leafs agressively after Tanev

Pick the options you'd trade for Tanev by himself

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
there are some people here that think the players in the room will see this as a good thing as we're getting better for the future thus understand.
There would be exactly none that would think it was a good thing. They want to win now and have no interest in giving up players who can help now to win later.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Is Tanev part of the long term solution? Is Vancouver asking for a 1st?
Then move JVR for a 1st plus prospect and send 1st plus lesser prospect for Tanev. Done.
I think with the D market we'd likely be trading JVR + for Tanev instead of other way around but this is exactly what I wish we do

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Is Tanev part of the long term solution? Is Vancouver asking for a 1st?
Then move JVR for a 1st plus prospect and send 1st plus lesser prospect for Tanev. Done.
I don't think the prospect needs to be Johnsson caliber either. Then Leivo, pick, Pickard to Oil for Maroon to fill the JVR "gap"along with Johnsson. Fits like a glove.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Maybe winning a playoff round would help. Or not having your goalie standing on their head many a night. Or not getting pushed around by the bigger stronger teams. Depth assets, but really lacking C depth and high end forwards
And Hainsey goes down and they're in real trouble

It's funny you mention goaltending.

People have been fretting about Andersen keeping this team afloat, so I started thinking about some of the past playoffs...I realized this is true for a lot of teams.

No way Boston wins a cup unless Thomas plays like one of the GOAT goalies.
Quick single handedly dragged the Kings through multiple series.
Matt Murray last year was nothing short of sensational, Pitt was outplayed in every series.

So many examples of this. Nothing wrong with leaning on your goalie, not everyone can be the Red wings of the later 2000's or the Blackhawks (who had one of the most underrated goalies ever, but I digress)

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It's funny you mention goaltending.

People have been fretting about Andersen keeping this team afloat, so I started thinking about some of the past playoffs...I realized this is true for a lot of teams.

No way Boston wins a cup unless Thomas plays like one of the GOAT goalies.
Quick single handedly dragged the Kings through multiple series.
Matt Murray last year was nothing short of sensational, Pitt was outplayed in every series.

So many examples of this. Nothing wrong with leaning on your goalie, not everyone can be the Red wings of the later 2000's or the Blackhawks (who had one of the most underrated goalies ever, but I digress)

Agreed
I just don't like how many 40+ shots they give up. Andersen gets a ton of work, and no goalie can stay hot forever

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
There would be exactly none that would think it was a good thing. They want to win now and have no interest in giving up players who can help now to win later.
Bet the remnants of the middling bubble team like Rielly/Kadri much prefer the tank with a plan compared to trying to go for it when you shouldnt

member 262271

Only way this actually happens is if the Leafs overpay, hence, not happening.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I wouldn't want them to move anything substantial for him but if a deal could be made without hurting the lineup they'd have to look at it.
They would and should look very hard at a deal that they can live with.

The cost should be more reasonable then other D man who are available as well as he is the type of D man we need and who our coach likes.

We are set for offensive type D man and need a Smart D man who makes the right decision at the right time. Hainsey is falling apart infront of our eyes and needs to play against easier competition and get some rest before the playoffs. Zeitsev is proofing to be exactly what I thought he would be a decent D man who is best suited as a 5-6 who kills penalties and can move up if needed.

Like you I have no interest in over paying at all.

As for injuries look at Stammer and his issues. If it was his back I would stay away and people who compare him to Lupul need to understand that a bad back is the one injury that you stay away from.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Best deal I would make:

Rasanen
Johnsson
2018 first

0% chance of Liljegren being involved. Thats a big time no guy.

Way too much. He is a year older than Hamonic, a year less on his contract, makes 600k a year more, and has a broken leg. Hamonic plus a 4th got a 1st and two seconds. A year ago CT was at best, equal value to Hammer, and he obviously is worth less now than last year. No to Johnsson and I guess it depends whether you like Rasanen or a 2nd rounder more.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Agreed
I just don't like how many 40+ shots they give up. Andersen gets a ton of work, and no goalie can stay hot forever

I think the outside shots make up a lot of that volume. I don't think he's necessarily been hot, I think he's just really good and this is closer to his baseline. When I think back to the last 20 games, he outright stole a few, but we also played a much tighter game and I feel like we've been carrying the pace better lately, and checking well.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If he can be gotten for picks, go ahead and do it. Otherwise, no. I don't even want to mess with the prospects we have with the Marlies because they are ready to be in the NHL if not for our depth. A guy like Andreas Johnson could very well be a late bloomer type like Tatar or Nyquist.

This team is on pace for 100+ points and has done so without any big trade acquisition. Why not see what this group is capable of doing before giving assets for an oft injured defenseman?

We shouldn't be desperate. This team has been together for two years and they are capable of beating Tampa and Boston without any additions...just imagine how good they will be once they have played more games together.

Reactions: Razz and OddyOh

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Tanev just get freak injuries, like puck to face and stuff like that. Which is pretty much how Lupul gets injured.
The injuries really scare me as he is damaged goods.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Sure, but he's so poor in terms of helping shot creation that it really limits his usefulnes.

Sure we can see that he puts up very good shot suppression numbers....

Relative CA/60, Last 2yrs, Min 1300 min 5v5:

1.Franson -8.4
2.Lindholm -7.8
3.Miller -7.4
4.Manson -7.2
5.Subban -5.5
6.Murphy -5.0
7.Tanev -4.7
8.Niskanen -4.7
9.Slavin -4.7
10.Ekholm -4.7
11.Dillon -4.6
12.Pesce -4.6
13.Giordano -4.5
14.Pysyk -4.5
15.Letang -4.1
16.Hjalmarsson -4.0
17.OEL -3.7
18.Pelech -3.6
19.Doughty -3.5
20.Enstrom -3.5

So Tanev is amongst the best shot suppression dmen.....but then we look at how this top-20 does in terms of shot-creation (Relative CF/60).....

1.Giordano +7.9
2.Lindholm +5.1
3.Letang +4.5
4.Franson +3.1
5.Manson +2.9
6.Ekholm +2.8
7.Miller +2.4
8.Doughty +2.3
9.Niskanen +0.9
10.Pesce +0.8
11.Subban +0.7
12.OEL +0.7
13.Dillon +0.4
14.Slavin +0.2
15.Pysyk -1.6
16.Enstrom -1.6
17.Murphy -2.0
18.Pelech -2.2
19.Tanev -3.4
20.Hjalmarsson -5.9

So he sacrifices all offensive creation to get that shot suppression, and sits in a similar group as Hjalmarsson, Enstrom Pysyk, Murphy, Pelech......but that's before we look at quality of competition.

TOIqoc (quality of competition by opponents' time on ice - which I translate into letter grades to make it easier to understand):

Hjalmarsson A-
Letang A-
Slavin A-
Giordano A-
Pesce B+
Doughty B+
OEL B+
Niskanen B+
Enstrom B+
Tanev B
Subban B
Ekholm B
Lindholm B
Manson B
Pysyk B-
Pelech B-
Murphy C+
Franson C+
Dillon C-
Miller D+

So we can see how this helps us - all those surprising names on the first two lists are a bit exposed here as playing against soft competition.

Tanev gets decent quality of competition, but nothing special, or nothing that makes us believe he's better than his raw numbers. Unlike, say, Hjalmarsson, whose numbers probably take a bit of a beating because he actually does face top line matchups game in and game out.

He's a solid defensive 2nd pair dman, and would fill out our dcorps very nicely.....but the idea of paying a premium price for him as if he's a top-pair impact guy....we really shouldn't do that.

So basically youre saying what I've been saying all along: "perfect partner for Rielly". Also, I've been saying we need to check in on Pysyk for at least a couple months now. Really a top-6 of this would be fantastic:

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Pysyk
Dermott - Hainsey

Also, how good is Giordano. Damn man, that guy is still so unbelievably underrated. Lindholm, Letang, and Pesce/Slavin too.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So basically youre saying what I've been saying all along: "perfect partner for Rielly". Also, I've been saying we need to check in on Pysyk for at least a couple months now. Really a top-6 of this would be fantastic:

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Pysyk
Dermott - Hainsey

Also, how good is Giordano. Damn man, that guy is still so unbelievably underrated. Lindholm, Letang, and Pesce/Slavin too.
Not only is Tanev the perfect guy for Rielly, it also means that Hainsey can look after Gardiner. Also Z can be sheltered on the 3rd pair. we need a rhd who can push everyone on that side down a spot

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Not only is Tanev the perfect guy for Rielly, it also means that Hainsey can look after Gardiner. Also Z can be sheltered on the 3rd pair. we need a rhd who can push everyone on that side down a spot

Yeah. He completes our defense better than anyone ainec.

There are better defenseman out there in OEL, Karlsson, and McDonagh (barf) but the supposed cost, and fit there doesn't seem to be any debate.

People need to get over the injuries, as on a better team he won't be blocking half as many shots (which are all three of his injuries this season are from).

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Pysyk
Dermott - Hainsey

I see Pysyk thrown around a lot but I really dont see the love? Am i mistaken? Is he really a top 4 guy?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Yeah. He completes our defense better than anyone ainec.

There are better defenseman out there in OEL, Karlsson, and McDonagh (barf) but the supposed cost, and fit there doesn't seem to be any debate.

People need to get over the injuries, as on a better team he won't be blocking half as many shots (which are all three of his injuries this season are from).

Tanev would get tougher usage here, in a more high paced system....and probably play in higher stakes (playoffs etc), I'd be extremely worried about his durability history.....the guy misses way too many games and has never played more than 70 games in a season (and that's his high-end total).

I'd far prefer OEL, McDonagh....and Hammer

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Rielly - Tanev
Gardiner - Pysyk
Dermott - Hainsey

except that Hainsey is better than tanev and pysyk.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
We all know if they do make a move for a d-man it will be none of the names mentioned. Lou likes his secrets. Hard no on Tanev, McDonagh at the right price would be intriguing (1st rd pick + Leivo + Rasanen)

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Tanev would be a great pickup for the Leafs for sure, but like many fans have stated it's his injury-prone history that is scary. Now, it's not injuries that are fluke - they are injuries from hockey plays like blocked shots, etc, so there is that. If he was getting injured from soft plays or chintzy hits I would say "buyer beware"

For the most part the Leafs organization has had great success with keeping their players healthy the past few years. If we can get ~70 games out of Tanev, that would be very valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00