Prospect Info: Leafs 7th. pick at #202 Andreas Johnson - LW - Frolunda Jr.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
His last three SHL seasons he has been above PPG and was an MVP candidate. Why dont you try to look at the point made rather than the example, people just look for ways to bash posters.

What im saying is, SOME players are not well adapted to the NHL game, they are only good in the SHL/ Big ice.

Yeah, but you also stated that he couldn't play in the NHL, but he was putting up a PPG in the AHL before he ever put up a PPG there. At least look at the stat line closely before posting.

You're point was that some players are good only on big ice, but the AHL is small ice. And besides, Lidstrom didn't put up good numbers at any level until he was 22. Johnson is putting up good numbers at 20 years old and that is pretty impressive for a 7th round pick.

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
Melker Karlsson has almost identical numbers in his NHL rookie season as he had last year in Sweden.

He has not been productive at all in the AHL this season.

Point is that your comparison doesn't really indicate any other players future prospects.

That's not a great example. Look at the guys Melker plays on a line with...

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
That's not a great example. Look at the guys Melker plays on a line with...

Sorry for chiming in, but Karlsson was on a 5 game goal scoring streak on our 3rd line (with Goodrow and Sheppard) [which was why he was brought up to our first] which is where most of his production has come from. His stats will likely look inflated due to his placement in our lineup [put on the 1st line in mid February] but he's a very good player. Anywho, carry on.

Also, relevant to discussion, Johnson is one of my favorite SHL prospects, although I don't get to watch his as much as I would like to. Be prepared this summer because Frolunda will fight to keep him in Sweden.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
His last three SHL seasons he has been above PPG and was an MVP candidate. Why dont you try to look at the point made rather than the example, people just look for ways to bash posters.

What im saying is, SOME players are not well adapted to the NHL game, they are only good in the SHL/ Big ice.

This is true when it comes to translating from any league. Some players fit very well in junior, others thrive in the rough & tumble style with less structure in the AHL. Some struggle with pace of the game, others come from Europe and can't play the same with less space.

My point is that you always face this with any player, so you always have to look at how their way to play can handle that transition. Johnson plays a game more suited for the NHL than the SHL in my opinion. He is good in traffic, along the boards and goes in front of the net. He plays with intensity and smartness, his offense doesn't rely on getting time and space.

I was much more worried about Nylanders translation than Johnsons.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is true when it comes to translating from any league. Some players fit very well in junior, others thrive in the rough & tumble style with less structure in the AHL. Some struggle with pace of the game, others come from Europe and can't play the same with less space.

My point is that you always face this with any player, so you always have to look at how their way to play can handle that transition. Johnson plays a game more suited for the NHL than the SHL in my opinion. He is good in traffic, along the boards and goes in front of the net. He plays with intensity and smartness, his offense doesn't rely on getting time and space.

I was much more worried about Nylanders translation than Johnsons.

I've only seen him in the WJC, and I wasn't impressed. I mean in that he was okay, but wasn't flying by guys, going around defenders wide ...

He looked like a straight line player, whose first thought was go to the front of the net, and IIRC kind of spent time in the deep slot.

Obviously, I have hope for him, and it didn't look like the big ice was any benefit to his game, maybe even a detriment as it is a greater distance to the net than on the small ice.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
So...he finished 5th in SHL Goalscoring. Only player in the top 10 in goalscoring under the age of 26 (He was 19/20 during this season).

Is Toronto not going to sign him to a rookie contract before the 2015 draft? It would suck to lose him to unrestricted free agency before he ever gets to show what he can do on this side of the Atlantic. I mean, you finally get a great 7th round pick, and dont sign him? SIIIIGGGNNN HIIIMMMMM.

Edit: Also, dont compare him to Melker Karlsson. Karlsson took 4 seasons to finally begin producing in the SHL at 22 years old and put up numbers comparable to what Andreas Johnson put up in his rookie season at 18/19 years old. And Karlsson then regressed slightly after that season, whereas in Johnson's second season he increased to 35 points and 22 goals, which karlsson never came close to at an older age than Johnson put up these stats.

In fact, Karlsson put up 33 goals in 226 regular season games in the SHL.

Johnson has put up 38 goals in 106 regular season games. (At ages 18-20)

There may be a question as to who can better adapt to the North American Game, but I don't think these two are similar enough players to make a comparison. Karlsson is more likely a 3rd line player, where Johnson should be a top 6 player if he is able to make the leap.

A More Apt Comparison Offensively would be someone like Jakob Silfverberg.

Last edited:

Cophy

Mar 29, 2011
So...he finished 5th in SHL Goalscoring. Only player in the top 10 in goalscoring under the age of 26 (He was 19/20 during this season).

Is Toronto not going to sign him to a rookie contract before the 2015 draft? It would suck to lose him to unrestricted free agency before he ever gets to show what he can do on this side of the Atlantic. I mean, you finally get a great 7th round pick, and dont sign him? SIIIIGGGNNN HIIIMMMMM.

Edit: Also, dont compare him to Melker Karlsson. Karlsson took 4 seasons to finally begin producing in the SHL at 22 years old and put up numbers comparable to what Andreas Johnson put up in his rookie season at 18/19 years old. And Karlsson then regressed slightly after that season, whereas in Johnson's second season he increased to 35 points and 22 goals, which karlsson never came close to at an older age than Johnson put up these stats.

In fact, Karlsson put up 33 goals in 226 regular season games in the SHL.

Johnson has put up 38 goals in 106 regular season games. (At ages 18-20)

There may be a question as to who can better adapt to the North American Game, but I don't think these two are similar enough players to make a comparison. Karlsson is more likely a 3rd line player, where Johnson should be a top 6 player if he is able to make the leap.

A More Apt Comparison Offensively would be someone like Jakob Silfverberg.

FYI they have his rights for 2 more years(Until the 2017 draft). Every player that's playing Europe when he's drafted you have the rights for 4 years with(Since 2013 draft).

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
He will be a top 6 player for us. With this draft and Nylander, brown and Kadri that's 5 top 6 Quality players. and they all work Hard. We just need to maybe add some size. Maybe one of the big Russian forwards with the Nashville pick.

Leipsic has some potential too. Atleast with all these it's players who work hard and don't have compete issues.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hope he comes over and plays on the Marlies next year. Nylander, Brown, Leipsic, Johnson, Gauthier, McKegg, Leivo, Verhaeghe all there, plus any prospects we might trade for, along with Valiev joining the existing D crew. It could be very interesting to watch.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
IF he has an NHL out clausal and IF Frölunda loses in the first round, could he then sign a contract with us and join the Marlies for the rest of the season and hopefully the playoffs?

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I can hardly wait for Johnson to play for TO, he'd be an ideal fit and the glowing reports indicate he's ready but one problem is TO hasn't even signed him, I'm not sure but I think he goes back into the draft if unsigned but I may be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I can hardly wait for Johnson to play for TO, he'd be an ideal fit and the glowing reports indicate he's ready but one problem is TO hasn't even signed him, I'm not sure but I think he goes back into the draft if unsigned but I may be wrong.

As a prospect drafted out of Europe, the Leafs have 4 years to sign him, so no rush.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I haven't heard anything on Johnsons injury though. Hoping it isn't major. I wanted him and Herzog over here next year. Maybe this could help in us signing him, kind of like a wake up call? I'm sure the management want full control over him in these cases and with the time off maybe they can work on a deal.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
He can wear #88 if he wants :naughty:
Is there enough puck for him and Bailey?

If you put them on different lines with some good passers, they should be able to shoot to their hearts' content.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
So what's the plan with Andreas next season?

He has a contract with Frölunda for next season but at the end of last season (same contract) he said he planned on staying for at least another season until he was physically and mentally ready for North America. I got the impression that he had an NHL out clause or he would not have said he would wait until he was ready but just say he was currently under contract. He made it sound like if it was his choice.

So I dont know if he feel ready or if he wants another year in the SHL. I hope he comes over and play for the Marlies since that is probably best for his development.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
I've only seen him in the WJC, and I wasn't impressed. I mean in that he was okay, but wasn't flying by guys, going around defenders wide ...

He looked like a straight line player, whose first thought was go to the front of the net, and IIRC kind of spent time in the deep slot.

Obviously, I have hope for him, and it didn't look like the big ice was any benefit to his game, maybe even a detriment as it is a greater distance to the net than on the small ice.

FWIW he battled undiagnosed asthma at that time, and then finally started the proper treatment during his breakout season last year. That could have had something to do with what you saw at the WJCs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad