Prospect Info: Leafs 7th. pick at #202 Andreas Johnson - LW - Frolunda Jr.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Taking it with a grain of salt, but looking at the highlights, he's always in a shooting position. There was a couple of times where he was the only one in the slot and away from where the play was going on.

But I recall a Jaromir Jagr clip at the end of the season where he was pissed off at a couple of the young players on his line. He was saying that once he got the puck, they were too close to him in the offensive zone. He wanted them to be in the slot in a shooting position so he had a spot to put the puck. Watching the highlights, was a perfect example of a smart shooter.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
FWIW he battled undiagnosed asthma at that time, and then finally started the proper treatment during his breakout season last year. That could have had something to do with what you saw at the WJCs

Its also sometimes hard for a player who plays an NHL style game to adapt to playing against junior players in a run and gun game. His game is about sneaking into the right spots to get his lethal shot off. His game is at its best when playing with elite passers in a structured game who pay attention to what he is going to do. That being said, I thought he had a decent WJC and did a great job of being the third man in and getting to the slot and cleaning up the garbage.

Guys like Duclair, Tarasenko, Ehljers, Petan, and Domi who streak down the ice, dangle the D and score top cheddar are always going to catch the most eyes at these tournaments, but you can name all the players that can do that at the NHL level on two hands.

I really hope we can get Johnson over to the Marlies before Nylander gets a promotion. I would love to see a PP of Brown on the Left wall, Johnson on the right wall, Nylander on the left point, with a big shot like Brennan on the right point, and Froese causing a ruckus in front.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
when do the leafs have to sign him or loose him?

johnson still has one year remaining on his contract, and the former seventh round pick may fulfil it, having yet to receive an entry level deal from the leafs.

This week, in an interview with johan rylander, johnson didn't appear committed to making the transition to north america. The following is a rough translation from swedish to english of his remarks.

"i have not heard so much, actually. Toronto has been busy trying to find management. I've talked a little bit with my agent, but he says that we have to deal with it later," johnson said.

"you see how [dallas stars prospect] mattias janmark developed. He just gets better here in frölunda. I see no reason not to stay."

the leafs retain johnson's rights until the 2017 nhl draft.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Given that he is the leading scorer on Frolunda, I see no reason not to let him play out the last year of his contract before coming over. It's not like he will be fighting to get 10mins of ice time a game, he should be getting top 6 mins (if not playing on the top line). Frolunda has a good history as far as developing young players goes, and they are a pretty successful team, even if they haven't won a championship in 10 years. I think the Leafs will bring him over after the 15-16 season to adjust to the smaller ice surface with the Marlies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's a matter of clearing out contracts of layers who just will never develop into anything worth while like Biggs

It's also about not wasting contracts on guys like Derek Ryan. There's free wallets, but then there's just junk too.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Definitely would like to get this guy under contract soon. Think he could be something.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Can he sign an AHL contract with the Marlies, so that he can play with them but not count towards the Leaf's 50 contracts?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Ultimately it's his decision on where he plays next season. I feel he's ready, But I'd guess it at 60/40 he stays because of his contract.

Having him(with the others) on the Marlies would be nice to see though.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Sign this kid already and bring him over instead of worry about that 28 year old never was.

If we don't sign this kid next off-season I'll start to get worried. We might as well utilize his 4 year rights and sign another player to a contract next season. Another year in the SHL will be great for his development as gains a larger role on Frolunda's offense

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Re: 50 contract limit

Some of us are looking at the Ryan signing as junk whereas others are saying that he'll be a free wallet. Whatever the case may be, getting so close to the limit so early into the Leafs' offseason may be reason to believe that a significant amount of players will be moved. I'm hoping for picks and the opportunistic quantity for quality trade for our cast-offs, but Ryan's two-way deal might be a ploy to bring Johnson over. Pairing the leading SHL points and assists man and the #4 goal scorer should be instant chemistry.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
Some of us are looking at the Ryan signing as junk whereas others are saying that he'll be a free wallet. Whatever the case may be, getting so close to the limit so early into the Leafs' offseason may be reason to believe that a significant amount of players will be moved. I'm hoping for picks and the opportunistic quantity for quality trade for our cast-offs, but Ryan's two-way deal might be a ploy to bring Johnson over. Pairing the leading SHL points and assists man and the #4 goal scorer should be instant chemistry.

Toronto has 11 UFA this off-season and a few RFA they might not offer a contract too (Ross, Knodel) so I think they should be in good position. Either way, it looks like quite a few players will be moved in the off-season.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
did they forget about this kid? what is going on?

Not at all.

He's got another year left on his contract over there, So he may stay. But we did pull Nylander over here to get him on the N.A ice, So they may want the same for Andreas.

We'll have to see, It's still early days in the offseason.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sign this kid already and bring him over instead of worry about that 28 year old never was.

You are honestly way to wrapped up in Derek Ryan.

Friedmann said the Leafs looked at him, but his signing is unlikely.

Even then, he was a top player in the Swedish league this season. Taking a chance on a 1 year deal, literally costs us nothing.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Not at all.

He's got another year left on his contract over there, So he may stay. But we did pull Nylander over here to get him on the N.A ice, So they may want the same for Andreas.

We'll have to see, It's still early days in the offseason.

so we own his rights still? we're all good? sorry if I sound dumb on this, but just like the other posts sound it's like we're not communicating with this kid, or anything, so i am just uber confused what's going on here.

So he has a year there, but we have his rights longer than that year..there, right?

Pholus

May 23, 2014
so we own his rights still? we're all good? sorry if I sound dumb on this, but just like the other posts sound it's like we're not communicating with this kid, or anything, so i am just uber confused what's going on here.

So he has a year there, but we have his rights longer than that year..there, right?

The Leafs retain his rights until the 2017 draft. His contract with Frolunda goes through the 2015-16 season. Honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's actually quite normal for Europeans taken in the later rounds of the draft to spent 3 years at home before coming over to NA (assuming they come over). Granberg and Nilsson are just 2 examples of guys the Leafs have drafted in the last 5 years who played in Sweden for 3 years before going to the Marlies. The only difference is that, with NHL teams holding a draft picks' rights for longer, now they won't burn off the 1st year of their ELC before coming across the pond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad