Prospect Info: Leafs 7th. pick at #202 Andreas Johnson - LW - Frolunda Jr.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I would at least like for the new GM (or Hunter) to go to Sweden after the draft and just tell AJ, that he is not lost in the shuffle, and lay out some future plans for both parties.

I think he could be special. That shot!

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Has anyone watched him and are able to comment of how he's played this year?
Judging strictly on his stats, he's ahead of last years pace
2015-16 2014-2015
GP 14 55
G 7 22
A 7 13
PTS 14 35

You never her about this kid (an advantage to developing a outside of North America), but I'm really excited about his apparent progress and the chance that we may have a fully ripened prospect join the team in a year or two who is ready to jump right in and put up some points right away.

I'm already excited because normally I'd have zero expectations out o a 7th round pick and the pick already seems to be a steal.

Any chance this guy could be a top 6 winger sometime down the line?

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Has anyone watched him and are able to comment of how he's played this year?
Judging strictly on his stats, he's ahead of last years pace
2015-16 2014-2015
GP 14 55
G 7 22
A 7 13
PTS 14 35

You never her about this kid (an advantage to developing a outside of North America), but I'm really excited about his apparent progress and the chance that we may have a fully ripened prospect join the team in a year or two who is ready to jump right in and put up some points right away.

I'm already excited because normally I'd have zero expectations out o a 7th round pick and the pick already seems to be a steal.

Any chance this guy could be a top 6 winger sometime down the line?

I've seen a lot of smart hockey guys on twitter talk about Johnson quite a bit. Him being a top 6 winger does not sound like it's out of the realm of possibility.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Take his stats this year with a grain of salt, his team is scoring over 4 goals per game. Doesn't mean he's not good though.

Johnson is at his best when he's got open space. Even if he makes the Leafs in a more depth role, he could earn a spot on the top PP unit. We'll probably try that with the Marlies first.

Last edited:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Take his stats this year with a grain of salt, his team is scoring over 4G/P. Doesn't mean he's not good though.

Johnson is at his best when he's got open space. Even if he makes the Leafs in a more depth role, he could earn a spot on the top PP unit. We'll probably try that with the Marlies first.

Players also get credited a goal for a game winning shootout goal in the SHL. I'd like to know how many of these he has had so far, because he had quite a few last season.

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
He has one of the best one-timers not in the NHL. It's too bad he doesn't have the size to boot, but damn, can be made that puck fly fast off his stick. I definitely agree with the poster about him being successful on the PP in the NHL level. But it's a lot harder to find open space in the NHL than the SHL. Patience will be needed.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
His biggest challenge will be, him needing to find a way to get lost in the fun zone.

The NHL, is the no space league. Look at the Leafs now, they give no space.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Once the SHL season is over he will be here
I'm assuming with the Marlies but still
I'm pretty sure he signed a contract with TML to come over for next season

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Once the SHL season is over he will be here
I'm assuming with the Marlies but still
I'm pretty sure he signed a contract with TML to come over for next season

I believe he can join the team at the end of his SHL season. At worst they could sign him to an amateur try out contract or something. That could be a huge add for the Marlies heading into the playoffs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think the Leafs will probably have room for someone like Johnson to step right into the lineup near the end of the year.

I'm really looking forward to see how he does in the AHL/NHL. You never know how a player will do going from the SHL to the NA rinks.

He has a great shot and overall skill level around the net. Isn't afraid of the dirty areas around the net either. I just hope his mobility and game away from the puck is good enough for the NHL.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think the Leafs will probably have room for someone like Johnson to step right into the lineup near the end of the year.

I'm really looking forward to see how he does in the AHL/NHL. You never know how a player will do going from the SHL to the NA rinks.

He has a great shot and overall skill level around the net. Isn't afraid of the dirty areas around the net either. I just hope his mobility and game away from the puck is good enough for the NHL.

He would need to make the transition ridiculously smoothly. I don't think Babcock will want someone learning at the NHL level. Although at the same time if we've dealt a lot of our other assets after the deadline, we'll need bodies and it could be a useful preview to what we have in Andreas Johnson going into the following year.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Hes got a great nose for the net, he gets himself into scoring positions and the kid can just flat out finish.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I believe he can join the team at the end of his SHL season. At worst they could sign him to an amateur try out contract or something. That could be a huge add for the Marlies heading into the playoffs.

Since he has already signed his ELC, I'm pretty sure the Leafs can just reassign him to the Marlies once his SHL season is done. I agree that he could be a boost for the Marlies, if he can make a quick adjustment to the NA game.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Since he has already signed his ELC, I'm pretty sure the Leafs can just reassign him to the Marlies once his SHL season is done. I agree that he could be a boost for the Marlies, if he can make a quick adjustment to the NA game.

It's going to be a hard adjustment for him, as his game isn't suited to NA ice

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I'd like to hear from that Swedish poster who updated on Johnson most of last year.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Playing with former Marlie Spencer Abbott. Looking like it has the possibility of becoming a real good pick. Lets see what he can do in NA.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Good goals. On a side note, looking at the jersey and the ad on all the faceoff circles remind me of Major League 2, the movie.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
It's going to be a hard adjustment for him, as his game isn't suited to NA ice

I have no idea about how he will adjust to the AHL/NHL but the SHL looks like a sniper's paradise - so much remove for speedy guys to move around for open shots.

He certainly has speed, a great shot, and a nose for getting into the right spot. Those attributes work well in any league. The attribute that sets players with those skilled players apart is their unwavering dedication to being strong - at his height - being built like a brick outhouse will be necessary.

Peeps talking about Jagr and his dedication to the weight room. It's important.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Johnson seems like a Cammalleri clone. Great speed and shot, although more of a perimeter player.

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
I can see him and Nylander having a great bromance. Nylander loves setting people up and Johnson just rips the puck. Match made in hockey heaven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad