Prospect Info: Leafs 7th. pick at #202 Andreas Johnson - LW - Frolunda Jr.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
That's true. There is often an out-clause in most contracts based on moving to any league.

Can you tell us any other information on him? How often do you get to see him?

I watched him about 10 games early on in the year when SHL feeds were easier to come by, and his game reminded me a lot of Cammalleri. He has a great one timer.

I'm not saying he will have the same career, just that he seems to find the same spots on the ice to take shots.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs are definitely going to sign him over the summer to bring him over. The next step in his development is attending the Leafs main camp and then play some AHL hockey.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Leafs are definitely going to sign him over the summer to bring him over. The next step in his development is attending the Leafs main camp and then play some AHL hockey.

he has to sign before the draft or he becomes a free agent:nod::nod:

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Looks like he's elgible to come over at the end of this year (April 1st, 2015)

That was his first pro contract, you'll notice that in the link you posted he signed another 2 year deal on 2/20/2014.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
The fact that Johnson was drafted in the 7th round and he may end up being a solid part of our rebuild speaks for how much we lucked out. "We need to draft more like Detroit", well...

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Meh, he hasn't actually done anything in the NHL yet.

I get that, but he can have the time to adapt, especially with a rebuild in the midst. He doesn't need to be physical, just play sound defensively while maintaining his offensive side. He has the potential to be a solid player. He's putting up great numbers on a very bad Frolunda team.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I get that, but he can have the time to adapt, especially with a rebuild in the midst. He doesn't need to be physical, just play sound defensively while maintaining his offensive side. He has the potential to be a solid player. He's putting up great numbers on a very bad Frolunda team.

For sure, and compare him to other 1st & 2nd round picks he's played with on Frolunda from his draft year... Wennberg, Lehkonen and Collberg... He's out produced them all by a good margin

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
For sure, and compare him to other 1st & 2nd round picks he's played with on Frolunda from his draft year... Wennberg, Lehkonen and Collberg... He's out produced them all by a good margin

That's exactly my point. We get so hesitant now with prospects because we've had such bad luck lately that we seem to step back and say "He hasn't played in NA yet" and then it's "His game might not translate from the AHL to the NHL" with Nylander.

Let's just look at how this is, we drafted a Stud Swedish prospect in 7th round almost solely because of luck (and asthma). He's now out producing grown men in a professional men's league on a very poor team with little help. Im not saying throw him into the dungeon to face the Rancor, I'm saying the opposite. Groom him, develop him, allow him to be the Loui Eriksson of our rebuilt team in 5 years.

Be happy people, we did well with this one

CalgaryLeaf*

So what's his point total this season?..From all the hype it sounds like he's close to a PPG.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
So what's his point total this season?..From all the hype it sounds like he's close to a PPG.

52GP, 20G, 12A, 32P, 32PIM, +6

6th in the league for Goals.

Wennberg for 2013/2014 had:

50GP, 16 G, 5A, 21P, 8PIM, -5

And just for good measure, Andreas Johnson in 2013/2014 had:

44GP, 15G, 9A, 24P, 2PIM, -1 (Won Rookie of the Year over Wennberg)

CalgaryLeaf*

52GP, 20G, 12A, 32P, 32PIM, +6

6th in the league for Goals.

Wennberg for 2013/2014 had:

50GP, 16 G, 5A, 21P, 8PIM, -5

And just for good measure, Andreas Johnson in 2013/2014 had:

44GP, 15G, 9A, 24P, 2PIM, -1 (Won Rookie of the Year over Wennberg)

Good to hear!...Nice to have a young goal scorer developing...

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
History may suggest that 7th rounders turning into top-6 players is extremely rare, which i am sure factors into the predisposition to count him out by some. Meanwhile the relevant info suggests he might be the exception.

I do think though that something to remember is that any undrafted player, or player drafted overage could also have been a 7th rounder, had a team scouted that player and picked them. This would significantly change the notion of what a 7th rounder can be if those players are also included. Immediately to the Leafs, Valiev is a perfect example. Or Tyler Bozak. In Detroit terms, Johan Franzen.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
They don't record secondary assists either, correct?

Not sure, will be the first to admit I'm not an expert on the rules of the SHL.

I do believe though that the goal that wins a game that went to a shootout is counted as a goal in the stats for the player. Johnson I believe I have read has had a few goals credited to him through this.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
That's exactly my point. We get so hesitant now with prospects because we've had such bad luck lately that we seem to step back and say "He hasn't played in NA yet" and then it's "His game might not translate from the AHL to the NHL" with Nylander.

Let's just look at how this is, we drafted a Stud Swedish prospect in 7th round almost solely because of luck (and asthma). He's now out producing grown men in a professional men's league on a very poor team with little help. Im not saying throw him into the dungeon to face the Rancor, I'm saying the opposite. Groom him, develop him, allow him to be the Loui Eriksson of our rebuilt team in 5 years.

Be happy people, we did well with this one

While I agree that he's having a good season, I wouldn't say that a team tied for 2nd in the league in points was 'very poor'

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
While I agree that he's having a good season, I wouldn't say that a team tied for 2nd in the league in points was 'very poor'

Yeah, I never checked the standings, I just remembered that last year Frolunda was a poor team and translated it over. Still doesn't take away how good he's been these two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad