Prospect Info: Leafs 7th. pick at #202 Andreas Johnson - LW - Frolunda Jr.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Update:

GP: 55
G: 22
A: 13
P: 35
PIM: 34
+/-: +5

Also, his champions league stats were ridiculous...

GP: 9
G: 11 (1st)
A: 12 (T-2nd)
P: 23 (2nd)
PIM: 4
+/-: +13

Note: Keep in mind he's 20 years old

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Yeah, I never checked the standings, I just remembered that last year Frolunda was a poor team and translated it over. Still doesn't take away how good he's been these two years.

Frölunda was #2 after last years regular season as well. It's one of the best teams in Europe.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Did we even sign him to an ELC yet??

I'd expect him to sign this summer if he intends on opting out. We have his rights for 4 years due to the nature of drafting him out of a European league. There isn't a rush to sign him at this point in time because its unclear whether he'll break his contract with Frolunda

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Last I read is that we don't.... and he still has another year on his contract at Frolunda (no idea if an opt out is an option).

There's always a way to bypass European contracts. Viktor Loov is a prime example of a player under contract who was signed and brought over to the Marlies.

Albeit it is quite the tricky process

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Not that I'm saying I know what's best, but it would be logical for his development to come to N.A. next season and translate to the smaller ice. He has already figured out how to score in the SHL, time to do it at the next level.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Not that I'm saying I know what's best, but it would be logical for his development to come to N.A. next season and translate to the smaller ice. He has already figured out how to score in the SHL, time to do it at the next level.

It's comes down to one year left on his deal with Frolunda, not so much about what's best. It's clear he has a flare for scoring goals in the SHL, and it would be logical to get Johnsson acustomed to the North American game. If Andreas has an opt out clause in his deal, I would have to think he would come over.

However, if he does not things may get a little more tricky like the Loov situation. I would be inclined to think that Frolunda will attempt to stick to their guns and get Johnsson to stay given they finished 2nd in the standings.

silentbob37*

If he is physically and mentally ready/mature enough to make that jump now, if he really has "peaked" there AND has nothing left to gain from playing there (which are not the same thing), if there is a spot for him on the Marlies roster etc.... sure.

Its not only his numbers and/or on-ice performance they have to taken into account.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
We also have to remember here that SHL is a very very soft league.

Some players, about half never can adjust to the NHL and its physical style of play, hopefully johnson is not one of those guys.

Key example beying, Lindstrom the recently acquired leaf. Guy averages a PPG in the SHL, but cant play in the AHL.

I see Johnson, at his best being a 2nd line winger, if not im pretty sure hell be a 3/4 line winger because he has the skill and skating, just not sure if hell adjust to the north american style of play.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Some players, about half never can adjust to the NHL and its physical style of play, hopefully johnson is not one of those guys.

Key example beying, Lindstrom the recently acquired leaf. Guy averages a PPG in the SHL, but cant play in the AHL.

I see Johnson, at his best being a 2nd line winger, if not im pretty sure hell be a 3/4 line winger because he has the skill and skating, just not sure if hell adjust to the north american style of play.

You mean key example as in an awfully inaccurate one? Lindström was a very good player in the AHL already as a youngster, and he's gotten better since then.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Joakim Lindstrom? The guy who had 5 pts in 37 games as 23 year old in the SEL? And then was ppg in the AHL 2 years later?

Uninformed comparison

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Joakim Lindstrom? The guy who had 5 pts in 37 games as 23 year old in the SEL? And then was ppg in the AHL 2 years later?

Uninformed comparison

His last three SHL seasons he has been above PPG and was an MVP candidate. Why dont you try to look at the point made rather than the example, people just look for ways to bash posters.

What im saying is, SOME players are not well adapted to the NHL game, they are only good in the SHL/ Big ice.

silentbob37*

Unfortunately we can't really make an educated statement/opinion one way or the other on Johnson.

His numbers are good, that doesn't mean his entire game is good and/or beyond what he needs to do in the SHL. We don't know what, if any, plans they have for the Marlies, they simply may not have room for him on the Marlies next year. We don't know if he is physically ready for the NA game or mentally ready to move to a different country yet (at 20 some are, some aren't), what his contract status is he may not be able to come yet etc....

All we can say is that his productive in the SHL, which is a good sign but its not the end all, be all.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
His last three SHL seasons he has been above PPG and was an MVP candidate. Why dont you try to look at the point made rather than the example, people just look for ways to bash posters.

What im saying is, SOME players are not well adapted to the NHL game, they are only good in the SHL/ Big ice.

Lindström is a great example of a player who must have top-6 minutes & PP time to be useful. Unfortunately he isn't quite good enough to get that in the NHL. He's going to have a hard time working himself up from a bottom-6 forward position. It has nothing to do with the smaller ice.

Saying that the SHL is a soft league is fine, but it more than makes up for it by being way more structured than the AHL. The game is a lot more like the NHL in that way.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I meant to write NHL there, should have proof read.

He is very good in the SHL though was an MVP candidate.

Melker Karlsson has almost identical numbers in his NHL rookie season as he had last year in Sweden.

He has not been productive at all in the AHL this season.

Point is that your comparison doesn't really indicate any other players future prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad