LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
I guess the question becomes, is he a coachable player or not? If he can be coached, sounds like he has all the other tools to succeed. Put him into a team with good coaching, good systems in place, who knows?

If nothing else, can he become a threat on the power play with his shooting ability.

Sounds like a WIP, needs the right situation to succeed.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
For those who haven't seen him on one of his rushes, it's absolutely ridiculous to conceive that someone with that ability may not go in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

His skating was phenomenal at 15, his hands were really good too, and he could turn it on and just flat out blow past multiple defenders. Combine all of this with a 6'2 frame and I can see why he was considered to be such a special talent, absolutely. However, his consistency was always lacking, and he always seemed less mature than other players who were granted EPS (I think this was noted in an article somewhere).

I haven't had the chance to see him this season, but does he still have those amazing end to end rushes or are those a thing of the past? The added weight could have made him a step slower.

During his rookie season he was always going end to end then it seemed coaching staff told him to tone it down to cut down on turnovers and out of position play. 2nd year he rarely utilized his skating. It was almost like he took what they mentioned to an extreme and scaled back, it showed in his stats and play on the ice. This year has been tough with him out of the lineup due to a 4 game suspension in the fall or this recent "issue at home/injury".

I guess the question becomes, is he a coachable player or not? If he can be coached, sounds like he has all the other tools to succeed. Put him into a team with good coaching, good systems in place, who knows?

If nothing else, can he become a threat on the power play with his shooting ability.

Sounds like a WIP, needs the right situation to succeed.

Definitely a work in progress.

unknown

Oct 7, 2006
vancouver
If he falls to the Canucks 2nd I hope we take a flyer on him, his size and skating ability are too much to pass on.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Hope that Toronto gets the 1st OVR and thus, we get the 31st pick and take Day. Well, him or Kuznetzov.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Hope that Toronto gets the 1st OVR and thus, we get the 31st pick and take Day.

IIRC the lottery only changes the order for round 1.

Either way 31st is very likely going to be too high to pick Day. Hopefully he can get back on track and move past the issue with his brother to continue his game.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
IIRC the lottery only changes the order for round 1.

Either way 31st is very likely going to be too high to pick Day. Hopefully he can get back on track and move past the issue with his brother to continue his game.

Oh, I'm thinking it is under the assumption that Toronto finish 1st anyway and the lottery changes nothing.

We have Anaheim's pick as well which will be later in the round, if there are question marks we can take him later on and take a LW earlier.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There's something very strange about that article.

I understand that Sean Day has to accept what's going on as a young adult and at his age and his situation that is a lot to endure. But his brother killed someone. And that article only describes how he's idolized his brother and how he wants his brother see him playing in the NHL. Strange.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

I understand that Sean Day has to accept what's going on as a young adult and at his age and his situation that is a lot to endure. But his brother killed someone. And that article only describes how he's idolized his brother and how he wants his brother see him playing in the NHL. Strange.

I don't think those two things are related.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014

You can idolize someone without wanting to replicate their every move, and almost everyone has done something that they are not proud of (although often to a lesser extent).

I think Day is just saying that his brother was the reason he loves hockey, and not having him at the rink any more, or around at all for that matter, is something that weighs on his mind often. He wants his brother to be able to see him play hockey in the NHL someday after he has served his sentence, and I think that is great, and it is something they can both look forward to and use as motivation to better themselves. Sean, as a player, and his brother as a person.

Iridium128

May 30, 2012
He'll probably go late first round given potential. I see teams that could use help the season after next taking him and banking on the prospect that he'll be NHL ready after four OHL seasons. A team like Chicago or Washington I can see taking a stab at it with their 1st round picks.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think those two things are related.

No, not saying they are.

Sean and his family are victims as well in a sense and I understand that is what this article is trying to convey. My issue upon first read is that the whole premise just seems somewhat insensitive all things considered. It just felt as if the article was written in a fashion that trivialized someone's death.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

They're talking about him, not his brother, though, and Sean Day didn't kill anyone. Sounds like he was close to his brother, that has to be tough, especially as a teenager, even if what his brother did was very, very wrong. Combined with all the stress of not living up to the exceptional player status, you can see it'd be a tough time for the kid, which is all the article is really saying.

Personally I didn't know about any of this, definitely feel for the kid. From a purely analytical point of view, I still wouldn't take him in the top 100 or so picks in the draft, but you still have to sympathize with what he's been through the last few years.

Edit:
Oops, missed this:
No, not saying they are.

Sean and his family are victims as well in a sense and I understand that is what this article is trying to convey. My issue upon first read is that the whole premise just seems somewhat insensitive all things considered. It just felt as if the article was written in a fashion that trivialized someone's death.
Fair enough, I can see your point there, it did focus more on Sean's plight, vs. what was obviously more tragic for the family of the woman killed. But it is a sports magazine, they're going to focus on the pro-prospect.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He's actually played a more sound game since this article came out regarding his brother. Has simplified things a little and hasn't turned the puck over as much in the past couple of weekends.

I noticed in the top prospects game the last thing on his mind was rushing the puck. Super simple. I liked it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I want the leafs to get this kid in a bad bad bad way

I just hope they don't try to play it too cutesy on when to take him,IF they want him

i'll make this prediction right now

if the leafs want him and try to be cute and wait to long

Detroit will draft him, I just have this gut feeling.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
this kid is going to be the "regret" pick in the draft

he will be the one that teams will regret not having taken him sooner

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
On a side note.. i saw him play about 2 years ago verse Plymouth.

By far, the dumbest player on the ice for either team.

Poor positioning, might have had 4 penalties that game and he was just constantly throwing muffins up the middle. I wish i would say im kidding. I left assuming he will never be drafted.

I hope hes not that bad anymore.

Mind you, this was when mississagua was the bottom of the barrel.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I can see Edmonton swinging for the fences in the second round but as a Leafs fan, I'd take a flyer on him with a thrid round pick. I'd be very happy if he could join our prospect pool and develop in a stable system with quality coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad