LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyersFan18

Aug 24, 2009
If Day becomes Coburn, he is easily worth a first round pick (probably top 10) most players picked don't play as many games as Coburn does.

Day like coburn lacks a certain took box with a man that big and who can skate that well. A steady 3-5 guy but not really an option to put up offensive numbers or power play time. For me Sean day went from being a boom pick in he first round (top 10) to a safe second rounder who has top 4 potential . Again he's a big boy who can move, if he puts it all together anything outside the first round would be a major steal but he's a project at this point in time which is not something you want with a top 10 pick

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I just came from scouting him for the third time.

My conclusion is that I don't know if I would draft Day period. He looks lost on the ice far too often, jumps into the rush at bad times, and makes terrible decisions.

To be honest, if I were to draft him, I'd try to convert him to forward. He has the size, skating, and offensive tools to actually be a productive forward. However, I just don't see him as a player with the toolbox to become an NHL blueliner.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto

My conclusion is that I don't know if I would draft Day period. He looks lost on the ice far too often, jumps into the rush at bad times, and makes terrible decisions.

To be honest, if I were to draft him, I'd try to convert him to forward. He has the size, skating, and offensive tools to actually be a productive forward. However, I just don't see him as a player with the toolbox to become an NHL blueliner.

Really? You wouldn't take him with even the 200th pick? I've seen a lot of him, and I definitely don't think he's even close to being that bad.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

I' agree. I almost see him as a smaller better skating version of Jared Cowen (and thats not a good thing).

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Had a solid game last night. I'd post GIF's of some key plays he made but the broadcast quality last night was ****.

His breakouts are more controlled. You simply can't deny how smart a skater he is, if that makes any sense. He's a hard, accurate passer but struggles with shot accuracy.

TBH, he reminds me of a smarter John Moore. That being said, the concern surrounding him seems legitimate. He is a huge swing for the fences if he goes higher than the late 2nd round.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Had a solid game last night. I'd post GIF's of some key plays he made but the broadcast quality last night was ****.

His breakouts are more controlled. You simply can't deny how smart a skater he is, if that makes any sense. He's a hard, accurate passer but struggles with shot accuracy.

TBH, he reminds me of a smarter John Moore. That being said, the concern surrounding him seems legitimate. He is a huge swing for the fences if he goes higher than the late 2nd round.

Really? I was in the press box at the game last night, and was thoroughly unimpressed with him. Bad choices all around. Granted he was better when I saw him in February, but I didn't see a potential NHL player against the Generals.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Day like coburn lacks a certain took box with a man that big and who can skate that well. A steady 3-5 guy but not really an option to put up offensive numbers or power play time. For me Sean day went from being a boom pick in he first round (top 10) to a safe second rounder who has top 4 potential . Again he's a big boy who can move, if he puts it all together anything outside the first round would be a major steal but he's a project at this point in time which is not something you want with a top 10 pick

I don't have Day ranked in the first round at all. However, if he becomes a Coburn as I saw some say in this thread, then his value is worth a top 10 pick easily. Saying that a player who has played 600+ games is only worth a late second is ridiculous if you know that's what he will become.

However, as it stands, I'm underwhelmed... with the right system and development maybe but right now I rank him in late round 2 because his upside intrigues me. However, if he went later I wouldn't be upset.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I am perfectly fine with spending the Washington second on him if he's still there. Day has a massive ceiling for a 2nd-3rd round guy, it's just going to take the right mentor to get him to achieve it, which I'm hoping Babcock is.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I am perfectly fine with spending the Washington second on him if he's still there. Day has a massive ceiling for a 2nd-3rd round guy, it's just going to take the right mentor to get him to achieve it, which I'm hoping Babcock is.

I see this line of thinking a lot. It's as if people are under the impression that it's his coaches that have taken away Day's ability to think and play hockey at the same time

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He's a great skater, but he doesn't even put effort into skating so it's like he isn't even a good skater. When I watch him, I see tremendously weak hockey sense, a hockey player that doesn't really want to play hockey, or a hockey player trying to make it look "easy." Whichever it is, I don't want on my team, I don't want a hockey player that lacks effort because then they simply shouldn't be playing hockey.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have a feeling Babcock (and Lou) would identify he doesn't have what it takes than get the best out of him. He's just an amazing skater, he is weak everywhere else outside of size. He also appears to lack motivation to get better compared to his peers.

incognito Burrito*

I have a feeling Babcock (and Lou) would identify he doesn't have what it takes than get the best out of him. He's just an amazing skater, he is weak everywhere else outside of size. He also appears to lack motivation to get better compared to his peers.

Could be a mental thing in that he was grsnted exceptional status and doesn't need to try. Being granted that then falling into the 2nd could be awake up that he needs.

Personally, since Montreal has an extra 2nd this year I would be fine with them taking him on one of those.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Could be a mental thing in that he was grsnted exceptional status and doesn't need to try. Being granted that then falling into the 2nd could be awake up that he needs.

Personally, since Montreal has an extra 2nd this year I would be fine with them taking him on one of those.
I'd think getting cut or not invited to multiple Hockey Canada would do it, or his draft status crashing. He's wasted 3 years of development, i'm very skeptical of him turning it around and making up for lost time. There are serious red flags around him, and i doubt any team that talks to the people around the Steelheads are getting positive reviews.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

He's had a pretty rough year or two...including being flayed by the media. I don't think his problem is he currently believes he "doesn't need to try" and I really don't think he's currently at the point where he needs a "wake up call".

If anything, by this point, I suspect he is suffering more from a lack of confidence than over confidence.

Having said that, he really does need to be at a point where he understands what specifically he needs to improve his game (both playing wise and physical training wise) and be committed to it. Presumably, whoever drafts him will be all over that as well.

It will be interesting to see if by the start of next OHL season he's gotten the 'chance of scenery' he's apparently wanted for a while.

I'm wondering what teams will be most interested in him. I really don't see him as being a kid who the Hawks would have any interest in. But I'm sure others will be.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
He's had a pretty rough year or two...including being flayed by the media. I don't think his problem is he currently believes he "doesn't need to try" and I really don't think he's currently at the point where he needs a "wake up call".

If anything, by this point, I suspect he is suffering more from a lack of confidence than over confidence.

Having said that, he really does need to be at a point where he understands what specifically he needs to improve his game (both playing wise and physical training wise) and be committed to it. Presumably, whoever drafts him will be all over that as well.

It will be interesting to see if by the start of next OHL season he's gotten the 'chance of scenery' he's apparently wanted for a while.

I'm wondering what teams will be most interested in him. I really don't see him as being a kid who the Hawks would have any interest in. But I'm sure others will be.

With all the physical gifts he has, I'm sure most of his early days he was trying to figure out how to be the next Orr/Pronger mix. I can't imagine it's easy to have to switch from that mindset to "what do I have to do to have a shot at a Coburn career".

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
With all the physical gifts he has, I'm sure most of his early days he was trying to figure out how to be the next Orr/Pronger mix. I can't imagine it's easy to have to switch from that mindset to "what do I have to do to have a shot at a Coburn career".

This is true - but at the same time he's gone from a kid who got exceptional status, to a kid who has been labelled a bust even before the draft, not to mention the specific reason that HC has become more cautious about handing out EC (which might not be a bad thing).

I was extremely critical of him for turning up to the Hlinka tryouts overweight and out of shape. Having read about things going on in his own family at the time, my opinion of him at that tryout camp has softened a lot - but still...conditioning/commitment issues have dogged him for a while, not just at Hlinka, so that's something he does need to work on.

He's 18 years old, and has been through a lot public humiliation for someone so young. It must be really difficult to deal with - while there have been other players whose value has dropped, I can't think of anyone immediately who has experienced a similar set of events he has.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic...but I believe that when he gets drafted it will come as a relief to him and he'll be able to turn the drafting team's confidence in him into a new beginning. How that translates into a correction of the problems with his play remains to be seen, but we'll see.

I think it would be best for him to get traded in the off season - while there are certainly players I like in Mississauga (M. McLeod, Tippett) I don't see it as a happy environment for him personally to keep on in.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is true - but at the same time he's gone from a kid who got exceptional status, to a kid who has been labelled a bust even before the draft, not to mention the specific reason that HC has become more cautious about handing out EC (which might not be a bad thing).

I was extremely critical of him for turning up to the Hlinka tryouts overweight and out of shape. Having read about things going on in his own family at the time, my opinion of him at that tryout camp has softened a lot - but still...conditioning/commitment issues have dogged him for a while, not just at Hlinka, so that's something he does need to work on.

He's 18 years old, and has been through a lot public humiliation for someone so young. It must be really difficult to deal with - while there have been other players whose value has dropped, I can't think of anyone immediately who has experienced a similar set of events he has.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic...but I believe that when he gets drafted it will come as a relief to him and he'll be able to turn the drafting team's confidence in him into a new beginning. How that translates into a correction of the problems with his play remains to be seen, but we'll see.

I think it would be best for him to get traded in the off season - while there are certainly players I like in Mississauga (M. McLeod, Tippett) I don't see it as a happy environment for him personally to keep on in.
From what I've heard from people around the Steelheads none of this has given him a wake up call. I see him like many other hyped kids who don't live up to the hype like John McFarland. I'd say the closest situation to this was Ho-Sang or Kabanov, which is why it won't surprise me when the Isles draft him (unless they have changed there ways on gambling on guys with questionable character).

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Day was the most impressive D at the prospects game...it's a shame that he lacks self awareness and has the mentality of a privileged frat boy.

Guys like Bean would probably kill for his tool set

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
From what I've heard from people around the Steelheads none of this has given him a wake up call. I see him like many other hyped kids who don't live up to the hype like John McFarland. I'd say the closest situation to this was Ho-Sang or Kabanov, which is why it won't surprise me when the Isles draft him (unless they have changed there ways on gambling on guys with questionable character).

Is it that or is it that he really doesn't want to be there (which is another problem in and of itself).

As far as "overly hyped kids" - I think Ho-Sang is potentially a good comparable...of course the jury is still out on Josh.

I guess I have an additional level of sympathy for Day because of personal circumstances involving a family member of his..and am maybe coloured by the fact that there are a bunch of internal/political things about the Steelheads organization that I find extremely off-putting.

incognito Burrito*

Is it that or is it that he really doesn't want to be there (which is another problem in and of itself).

As far as "overly hyped kids" - I think Ho-Sang is potentially a good comparable...of course the jury is still out on Josh.

I guess I have an additional level of sympathy for Day because of personal circumstances involving a family member of his..and am maybe coloured by the fact that there are a bunch of internal/political things about the Steelheads organization that I find extremely off-putting.

If you have inside information, then you could be right. I'm not sure about others, but I'm just giving a guess.

Could be the pressure, too. When you see him play at times he looks tremendous.

He'll get drafted and we'll see how he does.

If there are problems in the Steelheads organisation that are hindering him then I hope he can be traded from that organisation, or being drafted gives him a positive boost. Just talking to the team at the table and hearing those guys talk about what they like from him might be enough.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I know the story, but tons of guys have very tough family issues and excel, hell in alot of cases the ice, court etc is their only escape. He may be salvageable, but even if its him trying to force a trade (which it is), the way he's gone about it is ridiculous. His three game benching earlier this year for leaving the bench mid-game was a joke, and is reflective of his lack of maturity. The other thing is, while he's a great skater, he's not good at much else, so your getting a player who hasn't progressed in 2 years and has a rep for being difficult. Ho-Sang when he went round 1 was atleast still producing on the ice. He's probably closer to Akim Aliu territory.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I know the story, but tons of guys have very tough family issues and excel, hell in alot of cases the ice, court etc is their only escape. He may be salvageable, but even if its him trying to force a trade (which it is), the way he's gone about it is ridiculous. His three game benching earlier this year for leaving the bench mid-game was a joke, and is reflective of his lack of maturity. The other thing is, while he's a great skater, he's not good at much else, so your getting a player who hasn't progressed in 2 years and has a rep for being difficult. Ho-Sang when he went round 1 was atleast still producing on the ice. He's probably closer to Akim Aliu territory.

I agree with that. But the trade thing is nothing new - it went back to last off season. I should also point out that while I agree that he needs a new situation, I've also have never said it should be in London - and i've said that consistently.

His issues in Mississauga are more than unfortunate - but you know what? There is an awful lot about that organization that's "more than unfortunate", including the unchecked behaviour of an assistant coach, and the over involvement of the family of certain players.

I agree with you that Day hasn't progressed that much - that is more a concern than any of the other issues.

But still, right or wrong, I pull for him and hope he can pull it together. I'd also put him more in Ho-Sang territory than Aliu territory.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I agree with that. But the trade thing is nothing new - it went back to last off season. I should also point out that while I agree that he needs a new situation, I've also have never said it should be in London - and i've said that consistently.

His issues in Mississauga are more than unfortunate - but you know what? There is an awful lot about that organization that's "more than unfortunate", including the unchecked behaviour of an assistant coach, and the over involvement of the family of certain players.

I agree with you that Day hasn't progressed that much - that is more a concern than any of the other issues.

But still, right or wrong, I pull for him and hope he can pull it together. I'd also put him more in Ho-Sang territory than Aliu territory.
I hope for his sake he figures it out, just that I really don't think he is a Lou and Babcock style guy and what leafs are trying to preach. I wish i could place a prop bet on him going to the Isles. It is probably best for all parties to move on in Sauga after this year, it is dysfunctional, but I have a feeling he's more likely to end up in the Soo or North Bay than his preferred destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->