LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
People said the same thing about Nick Ebert and John McFarland.

Same with guys like Saad and Sprong.

A strong coaching/developmental system could get something out of him, I think Detroit or Tampa could be ideal. Maybe Nashville? I can't see him falling too low in the draft just because of that 1% chance he figures it out and becomes a dominant #1.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
My god, I really hope Nashville nabs him late, he plays to his potential, and everyone sees how good this guy really is

Problem is, he's literally never played to his potential, including in his midget years (where he was arguably the 4th best defenseman in his age group). How long can you wait for him to turn that lightbulb on?

There are plenty of great skating defenders out there, and Day has not separated himself. His talent clearly isn't good enough to make him a standout junior player, what in the world suggests he can be anywhere close to dominant at higher levels, where the competition is even steeper?

He could be such a great player if he put it all together, but when that complete package has never been witnessed, it's just fantasy.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
the Canucks have so few D prospects that I'd take a flyer with late 2nd or early 3rd, but the most disturbing aspect is the lack of urgency / intensity in his game. I'm not sure you learn that.

jackstar

Oct 17, 2011
Might be a stupid question but could this be a case of scouts seeing him too much and just focusing on the negatives of him instead of the positives in his game? Or are there just not many positives?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Classic boom or bust prospect....a team with multiple picks in the first three rounds can likely afford to take a chance on him.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
The Leafs are likely to take a flyer on him given that he plays in Mississauga and they will have a lot of picks this year. Doubt any team will take him in the top 3 rounds that hasn't scouted the GTA as heavily.

DreamSports

Jul 16, 2015
Id take him near the back of the 2nd Round at the earliest but even then its a reach. He's a 3rd rounder right now and not even in top 10 Dmen available for this draft. However, the upside is there and that's why you throw the mud at the wall and hope it sticks

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
how does he compare to oliver kylington? don't know too much about either but from what I've heard they both had the same knocks against them, great tools and potential but completely lost defensively. kylington doesnt seem to be completely out of place in the ahl this year at 18

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
What I think separates him from other fallers like Ebert and McFarland like a poster above mentioned is that he has all the tools to be successful...a truly wonderful skater, big shot, makes a strong first pass, above average offensive instincts, can use his size to separate his man from the puck, and decent defensive positioning. He just needs to put it all together on a consistent basis and truly find his identity as D.

He reminds me a lot of Roland Mckeown at the same stage, and it took Mckeown his draft +1 year to take that next step by focusing on his D game and finding an identity. I'm sure there are lots of other examples of this! Luckily for Day, Misssissauga is an up and coming team and he should have a great opportunity to grow his game in a winning environment and gain meaningful experience! Overall Day is an intriguing prospect, but more of a project one. A 2nd round prospect grade for me at the moment

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I truly believe if he goes in the top three rounds, whoever takes him will have wasted a draft pick. Which is a shame, because the guy has all the tools to be the next big thing on defense.

The kid is massive, strong, and an absolutely otherworldly skater. He's got a solid shot and passing ability but damn, he's just so dumb on the ice. He has no idea how to properly utilize his gifts.

Tragic, really. In my lifetime, it is rare for a player to come along at this position that possesses the tools that Day has. You're talking about Bouwmeester, Hedman, guys like that. Guys who, from a very young age, we're expected to be superstars. Both of those guys turned out to be very good, but we are still waiting on the guy that can transform the position. Day isn't that guy.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Like other posters above, he's a boom or bust pick. Use the pick and hope he pulls it all together. His combo of size and skating is too good for teams not to draft him. Definitely a work in progress though.

As for the off ice stuff there was an article in Mississauga just last week saying he's putting that behind him and focusing on the 2nd half of the season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Like other posters above, he's a boom or bust pick. Use the pick and hope he pulls it all together. His combo of size and skating is too good for teams not to draft him. Definitely a work in progress though.

As for the off ice stuff there was an article in Mississauga just last week saying he's putting that behind him and focusing on the 2nd half of the season.
Saying it and actually doing it are completely different things. He's going to have to work very hard to regain the trust of the Steelheads organization. But maybe that 3 game stretch he missed for a "small injury" was the wake up call he needed.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I guess i'll chime in, if the Leafs have multiple 3rds and Hunter think it's worth a risk, may as well give it a go.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
There's a point at which the risk becomes worth it if there is a chance, even remote, that a prospect has the potential of being an elite player, or even a very good player.

As others have said, with the Leafs likely having a lot of draft picks (they already do, and we haven't hit the trade deadline yet), they can afford to take the chance on one or two guys like this if they feel the potential is there. If you don't have as many picks, maybe there is more pressure to take a 'safer' choice, although in the example of the Leafs, where has that approach ever got them?

(One note: I think the Leafs still owe a couple of 3rd rounders over the next few years for Babcock/Lou - but they will have lots of picks regardless).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I used to think "Day has huge upside, just give him time." However, it's now his 3rd season in the OHL, at an age where he should be improving like crazy every year, and he's barely improved at all. He has the size and skating that should allow him to be a dominant player at this level, but he's just OK. I'd draft him, but roughly in the 5th-7th round - I doubt he goes in the first 3 rounds. He's far from a lock to make the NHL, there are easily 100 draft eligible prospects who are better hockey players right now, and Day will likely also get hit in terms of his draft stock for more or less stagnating in terms of his development.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
For those who haven't seen him on one of his rushes, it's absolutely ridiculous to conceive that someone with that ability may not go in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

His skating was phenomenal at 15, his hands were really good too, and he could turn it on and just flat out blow past multiple defenders. Combine all of this with a 6'2 frame and I can see why he was considered to be such a special talent, absolutely. However, his consistency was always lacking, and he always seemed less mature than other players who were granted EPS (I think this was noted in an article somewhere).

I haven't had the chance to see him this season, but does he still have those amazing end to end rushes or are those a thing of the past? The added weight could have made him a step slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad