LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Had a pretty strong game tonight from the parts that I saw.

Rushed through 3-4 guys a few times, had some sandpaper in his end and was positionally sound but I only caught parts of the game.
Looked motivated tonight.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Is he still expected to go in the first round? I haven't followed him much this year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
what's this guys actual size and weight? have seen listing as low as 6'3 214 and high as 6'5 240 lbs. Thanks

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I like to think of this guy as the homeless man's Kevin Hatcher.

A homeless man's Kevin Hatcher?....both Kevin and Derian had the turning radius of the Titanic.....judging from limited viewing in the prospects games, surely Day has more mobility than that!

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
A homeless man's Kevin Hatcher?....both Kevin and Derian had the turning radius of the Titanic.....judging from limited viewing in the prospects games, surely Day has more mobility than that!

Sean Day is an incredible skater, I think it's the determination and compete level that scouts are unsure of.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sean Day is an incredible skater, I think it's the determination and compete level that scouts are unsure of.
IQ, but the biggest question really is his work ethic and commitment to get better. If he put in the same amount of work and dedication McLeod has since he got to Sauga he's still a top 15 pick. The things holding him back and killing his stock are as much off the ice as on it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
IQ, but the biggest question really is his work ethic and commitment to get better. If he put in the same amount of work and dedication McLeod has since he got to Sauga he's still a top 15 pick. The things holding him back and killing his stock are as much off the ice as on it.

That could also lead him to being a steal for some team. If he was still there at Chicago's 2nd rounder, I would be ok with the Flyers taking a chance on him.

Did I see correctly that he is AHL eligible next year?

Provorov Sanheim
Morin Ghost
Day Myers
Hagg Friedman

:)

Steve

Mar 6, 2002

Agreed. I was replying to the inability to turn. He is apparently off the charts with size and skating but the rest needs work apparently. Underlying raw skill is certainly there though.

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
With his mobility but lack of hockey IQ (at the moment) ID put his comparison at David Tanabe. A guy that can just wow you with his skating but face palm at his decision making. A higher end comparison could be made for Brett Hedican. Get this guy in a good system with a good AHL coach and he could turn out to be a fine player.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I see him falling late into the 3rd round - Not a bad project for such pick.

I will say the Buffalo Sabres take him in the 3rd round. (I am going on odds here, they have 4 x 3rd rounders.

Mar 12, 2009
That could also lead him to being a steal for some team. If he was still there at Chicago's 2nd rounder, I would be ok with the Flyers taking a chance on him.

Did I see correctly that he is AHL eligible next year?

Provorov Sanheim
Morin Ghost
Day Myers
Hagg Friedman

:)
No, you didn't. He has to play in 4 junior seasons or be 20 to play in the AHL as a player who will be drafted out of the CHL. Has to play next season in the OHL or the NHL.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I see him falling late into the 3rd round - Not a bad project for such pick.

I will say the Buffalo Sabres take him in the 3rd round. (I am going on odds here, they have 4 x 3rd rounders.
Yeah, 3rd-5th round is my guess. Lots of intriguing upside as a big dman with a decent skill set who can really skate, but scouts will definitely be worried about his compete level and his minimal development over the past few years. He has a long, long way to go to become an NHLer, and has not been improving at the pace you'd like.

Last edited:

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON

Was Kevin that bad of a skater? I know Derian was a terrible skater, but Kevin seemed ok early in his career.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
If Day becomes Coburn, he is easily worth a first round pick (probably top 10) most players picked don't play as many games as Coburn does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->