LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
Dana Point, CA
Looks like it's a good chance this kid gets exceptional status by the OHL this year. Canadian born defenseman playing for Detroit Compuware.

Birthday: January 9, 1998
Shoots: Left
Position Defense

Sean Day (D, 2016), Detroit Compuware – immediately bears a similarity to Connor McDavid given his ability to control the game despite being a year younger then his peers .. assertive and confident beyond his years, Day takes charge of situations and always strives to be a difference maker.. an innovative, highly-skilled workhorse with great hands and elite mobility.. blessed with an explosive skating stride and backed by excellent footwork .. edges slash into the ice, generating a quick start-up bust and terrific turning speed .. paralyzes opponents with dynamic lateral shifts and clever toe-drag moves .. plays the game with remarkable tempo in possession, moving effortlessly with the puck and displaying outstanding 1-on-1 elusiveness .. hands are fast and skilled – boasts tricky in-close puck-possession abilities – and backed by tremendous focus .. makes sharp, accurate passes and also packs a quick, hard shot .. can play tough, although that really isn’t his forte .. will skate himself into trouble at times, and run out of room .. needs to learn to improvise on the fly while better utilizing his teammates .. must also continue to make gains in his structure and consistency .. a strong candidate to gain ‘exceptional status’ for the OHL draft .. born January 9, 1998.

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft-blog/sean-day-projects-sweet-future-hockey/

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I'm pretty sure he (will?) plays for USA.
I've seen people say that he doesn't even have American citizenship.
He also says himself that he's Canadian.

Weird... I posted about him in the American Prospects thread because his citizenship is still in question then this thread appears :sarcasm:

He should definitely be a dandy prospect.

EP Profile:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=228106

Surely the easiest way to track his stats ^^
They manually update stats, so this page is probably the best way.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've seen people say that he doesn't even have American citizenship.
He also says himself that he's Canadian.

So why isn't he playing junior hockey in GTA then, which is much better than AAA in Detroit, age factor? Not saying your wrong just saying I've read articles and posts saying he's american. So I honestly don't know.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I wonder if the CHL and Hockey Canada would allow an American to get exceptional status?
Well, if people are correct and he doesn't have American citizenship, all Hockey Canada needs is for USA Hockey to transfer his card.
If he does have American citizenship, I'm sure any EPS will hinge on him playing for Canada.

As far as EPS goes, take it with a grain of salt, but various scouts and services say that he and his family have already got the ball rolling on it.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
They manually update stats, so this page is probably the best way.

Meh for me it's easier to type eliteprospects.com and search the name "Sean Day" than save a link somewhere for 1 player that I'd forget easily or look for this thread that will be buried by the end of the week lol

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Yan is American. What's the deal with Korostelev, though? Why is he playing in the GTHL?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Yan is American. What's the deal with Korostelev, though? Why is he playing in the GTHL?
Well, Yan was born in Alaska I think but grew up in Russia in the CSKA system AFAIK.
As for Korostelev, I have no idea why he came over so early.
He played for the Vaughn Kings and went the The Hill Academy and now plays for the Toronto Jr Canadiens.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Not saying this kid doesn't deserve it but if there are 3 exemptions granted in 3 years doesn't the word "exceptional" lose some meaning?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Not saying this kid doesn't deserve it but if there are 3 exemptions granted in 3 years doesn't the word "exceptional" lose some meaning?

Yeah I don't think Ekblad was exceptional, a physical beast for his age but not generational, McDavid deserves it I think by watching him, I don't know much about Day.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

Not really if it's 1 player out of all 1998 borns in North America, that's exceptional.

I do find it odd that they've given them out twice in 2 years but wouldn't give it to Sidney Crosby. The Crosby camp back then probably didn't push as hard for it... Crosby seems like the type that would be fine with staying at a prep school in the states, putting off his dominance of the Q for 1 extra year didn't hurt him :laugh:

But ye after John Tavares was granted exceptional status, it seemed like we wouldn't even hear about it for a long time because he seemed to regress a little bit by being stuck in the OHL for a while. Sure he still dominated but his 16 year old season was better than his 17 and 18 year old season and he didn't seem to figure out his skating was truly crap until he was in the NHL because for so long he was able to just breeze around kids in the OHL and he seemed to figure it would just figure itself out.

Reactions: Breakfast of Champs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->