LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's two full seasons after 10th birthday. Day could play for either country without issue.

The U17s don't apply. It's not an IIHF tournament.

Just caught the U17 thing.

Didn't realize it was just any time after the 10th birthday. I assumed it was only for the years prior to the national eligibility change.

Well there you go.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Of course he's American. The United States is where he was raised. You cannot be Canadian if you're raised in the United States, regardless of what citizenship papers say. Hope he gets the chance to represent the country he comes from.
Belgium?

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Why does everyone have to change the wording in my post :laugh:

I'll answer your question with a question, what good has happened to Day since Hockey Canada showed interest in him & gave him ES?

Quit being so defensive, what they're asking is quite clear. You're implying that HC has not done much for Day, which is seriously stupid. The kid does not deserve to have things gift-wrapped for him, especially in a country like Canada that has PLENTY replacements just a phone-call away. Day is at fault for not being involved in more HC stuff, no argument.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Of course he's American. The United States is where he was raised. You cannot be Canadian if you're raised in the United States, regardless of what citizenship papers say. Hope he gets the chance to represent the country he comes from.

Today I learned that I'm not actually Canadian - thanks for the free lesson Jack.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Days an interesting person.

Some of the things he has said on twitter seems to me at least that he now thinks as an American. No wishing Canadians a happy Thanksgiving but wishing Americans one, wishing everyone a happy Veterans day and thanking veterans for making our country safe. No mention of Remembrance day and the subtle support of this years team USA.

Yet just a few years ago he said this

"The part about the War of 1812, where Canada burned down the White House — I know a little bit more about that now,” he said. “In the U.S. they always told us that the U.S. took it to the Canadians in that war, so I always thought about it that way. But we watched a documentary on it, and it completely changed the whole story around for me. Americans are a little cocky in what they do. I think you need to be a little more humble. I think anything they do — sports, or when you’re learning about history — they tell a little bit of a different story so it makes the Americans look better.”

and this

“I want what every young Canadian wants,” he said. “I want to play in the NHL, to play at a high level, to play for Team Canada, to win a Stanley Cup. I’ve got a long way to go.

“But I guess being here now, I’m in the best place to start.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...n_earning_his_exceptional_status_feschuk.html

There is no doubt he has exceptional skills but being cut from Team Canada a couple of times seems to have soured him.

I believe he will make the NHL and be an above average player and I hope the Leafs draft him but he needs to stop playing games and decide what country he wants to play for. I am somewhat skeptical in those "Canadians" in his family finally all becoming US citizens at this point when they all had ample opportunity to do it a long time ago....or it could just be coincidence .....or not:laugh:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Quit being so defensive, what they're asking is quite clear. You're implying that HC has not done much for Day, which is seriously stupid. The kid does not deserve to have things gift-wrapped for him, especially in a country like Canada that has PLENTY replacements just a phone-call away. Day is at fault for not being involved in more HC stuff, no argument.

I'll be as defensive as I want when people misquote me, thanks for the tip though.

How is that seriously stupid? Hockey Canada hasn't done much positive for Day, have they? They used Exceptional Status as a recruiting tool to get, what looked like a star in the making, to play for Hockey Canada > USA Hockey and it's done nothing but backfire.

The rest of your post doesn't apply to a damn thing I said because you've failed to read what I actually said and made misguided assumptions.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

Of course you can, sheesh:laugh:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'll be as defensive as I want when people misquote me, thanks for the tip though.

How is that seriously stupid? Hockey Canada hasn't done much positive for Day, have they? They used Exceptional Status as a recruiting tool to get, what looked like a star in the making, to play for Hockey Canada > USA Hockey and it's done nothing but backfire.

The rest of your post doesn't apply to a damn thing I said because you've failed to read what I actually said and made misguided assumptions.

If I'm not mistaken the Day family pursued ES. Hockey Canada did not run after him begging him to. The Day family could have started the process for him to become a US citizen years ago and decided not to.

And what in the hell could Hockey Canada do more positive? They have never and will never guarantee membership on a National Team.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
If I'm not mistaken the Day family pursued ES. Hockey Canada did not run after him begging him to. The Day family could have started the process for him to become a US citizen years ago and decided not to.

And what in the hell could Hockey Canada do more positive? They have never and will never guarantee membership on a National Team.

This. Day has not put in the work for involvement on any National Team(s), end of story. Nothing else needs to be said.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Of course you can, sheesh:laugh:

That's kind of why I like to point out that these kids don't have a say in where they are born. They do have a say in whether they consider themselves Americans or Canadians however.

I've noticed over the years that some Americans tend not to value Canadian citizenship very highly or to acknowledge it. I've seen the same attitude in NFL broadcasts.

With so many American teams in the NHL USA Hockey is certainly reaping the benefits of the off spring of Canadian hockey dads. We are also starting to see the same situation with the European dads.

I think Swim Canada should pay Missy Franklin to swim for us.

Anyway it's Christmas Day. I wish all the very best to Americans, Canadians, duals, Lithuanians whatever.

Let's enjoy some fantastic hockey over the next few weeks. :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
I'm not sure exactly what Day has done to earn anything from Hockey Canada.

He was gifted ES when they really shouldn't have and has done nothing with it. At this point all the blame falls squarely on his shoulders. Why would HC put him in a position to struggle at the U18s, WJHC etc. If anything they are doing him a favour by not exposing him futher.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I see Day retweeted a gif of a Werenski celly.

As far as nationality goes, I don't think you can be too critical of him - he was born in Belgium, spent some time in Singapore, and then played minor hockey in Michigan (without being a US citizen). He's a skilled hockey player (and was dominant for his birth year growing up) - it's only natural he'd want to get the opportunity to play internationally - and Canada was his only option.

The exceptional status thing seems ill-conceived (and was questionable at the time) - but you can blame both his parents and Hockey Canada for that one.

I'm too lazy to start quoting posts from upthread, but the suggestion that HC hasn't been good to him post-EC is laughable. He played in U17 his first year in the OHL and he was invited to Hlinka tryouts this past summer (which he got cut from after show up 25 pounds overweight and playing poorly). What else could HC do for him to "play nice"?

As far as national play goes, what's done is done. Day (imo justifiably) seems to self-identify as an American, not a Canadian - and I won't fault him if that's who he wants to play for going forward. He wasn't able to do so in the past - and like I said above, I don't think he should be faulted for his desire to get int'l play time for Canada as a 15 yr old.

Come on, this is too much. That's an unfair (bordering on offensive) statement to make.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

What an offensive thing to say.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

It's offensive to denegrate someone based on what nationality they choose to identify with. First off, it's nobody's business but their own and unless your the government you have no right to make requirements on how Canadian someone has to be to call themselves one.

He has dual citizenship and therefore has an absolute right to choose if he wants to. In the eyes of the law he can be Canadian or American, and I'm sure Day doesn't really care if a bunch of people on the internet think otherwise.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

As someone born in Canada but raised predominantly in the States, a comment like that is offensive.

I feel absolutely no identification with American norms or values, in fact I find them largely trivial and humorous. Saying "you cannot be Canadian if you are raised in the United States" denies people the right to identify with the country they feel a part of.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There are players who literally go from one camp to another in order to get on one of these national teams. If they can do it without this type of scrutiny then it shouldn't matter if Day goes to whichever one he feels gives him the best chance or identifies with more, it really doesn't matter.

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
What happened to this kid, where's he projected to go, reminds of the Kirill Kabanov hype train and then it just died down when he got drafted.

I was wondering the same thing. He went from a sure fire number one overall pick when he first started in the OHL, slid to being a top-10 level pick, and at the beginning of the year he was projected to be drafted in the late first round/early second round. Now most rankings have him in the middle rounds. He has decent size and seems to put up good numbers, maybe the fact that he hasn't lived up to the expectations that were bestowed on him when he was granted the exemption make people undervalue him?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I was wondering the same thing. He went from a sure fire number one overall pick when he first started in the OHL, slid to being a top-10 level pick, and at the beginning of the year he was projected to be drafted in the late first round/early second round. Now most rankings have him in the middle rounds. He has decent size and seems to put up good numbers, maybe the fact that he hasn't lived up to the expectations that were bestowed on him when he was granted the exemption make people undervalue him?

He was never a sure fire 1OA pick for this draft.

Reasons that he has slid include questions about his hockey sense, a lack of progression in his play during junior, and off ice questions about him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As someone born in Canada but raised predominantly in the States, a comment like that is offensive.

I feel absolutely no identification with American norms or values, in fact I find them largely trivial and humorous. Saying "you cannot be Canadian if you are raised in the United States" denies people the right to identify with the country they feel a part of.

This is quite the ironic post.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There are serious question marks about his work ethic, hockey IQ and love for the game. The kid has probably been flagged as undraftable by multiple teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad