LD Sean Day (2016, 81st, NYR) II

Werenski

Dec 24, 2016
Maybe a dumb suggestion, but if his hockey IQ (which at this point in a players career is pretty hard to fix) isn't that good and he has a great shot and is an amazing skater...

Convert him to wing?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Way higher than last year, as well. Been more consistent in all three zones than last season. No one considers Day a great prospect, but he should at least get to the NHL because of his skating, and probably has a decent chance to be a middle pairing defenseman, at his current level of play. He could still develop, and be better than that. He has big time tools. Great skater, great size, good passer of the puck and he has a very quick release, which is part of why his shooting percentage is high. He needs to tighten up his game defensively for when he plays in pro hockey, but he's above average defensively in the OHL. With some normal improvements that offensive minded defenseman usually make between 18-22 defensively, he should be an NHL'er.

So maybe he won't justify the ES status he got in the OHL, but odds are better than not that he'll be a regular NHL defenseman.
Most likely John Moore type defensmen which is a 6/7 defensmen in the NHL. Shawn Belle proves freak genetics is not enough to make the NHL even as a bottom pair guy.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He was always going to be a project. Facts are that he's improving and he seems to be getting his head straight, will he make it? We'll see.

Awry

Mar 18, 2016
Wasn't this guy given exceptional player status? Tavares, Ekblad, McDavid were the only ones given that status before him.

No pressure, kid. :sarcasm:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I always felt he was worth the risk of a 3rd rounder. His win natural talent should get him to a NHL tweener. If he puts things together, could have a steal.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
The one wild card for me is his conditioning. If he ever completely maxes out what he's getting out of that body I think the game is gonna look a whole lot different to him and maybe he can become a star. I'm assuming he has a lot of room for improvement in that area since he did actually get sent home from the national team trading camp for that reason. I could be wrong and maybe he's already addressed the issue.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
The real question for me is what do you do with him moving forward. He's eligible to play in the AHL next year (since he's completed 4 junior seasons) but by all accounts that doesn't seem like the best option for him based on people's opinions who have seen him play more than I have. Would a 5th year in the OHL help him though? If conditioning is the issue then sending him to a professional league may be more beneficial than another year against the same competition.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The real question for me is what do you do with him moving forward. He's eligible to play in the AHL next year (since he's completed 4 junior seasons) but by all accounts that doesn't seem like the best option for him based on people's opinions who have seen him play more than I have. Would a 5th year in the OHL help him though? If conditioning is the issue then sending him to a professional league may be more beneficial than another year against the same competition.

I personally think a lot of the 'IQ issues' he has are from coaching, and Hartford looks to have a lot of young defensemen coming in looking for playing time this year, so I'd send him back to juniors another year. Unless he shows up at training camp almost ready to play in the NHL (which is highly doubt). And since he was essentially a project pick, going back for another year of junior can't hurt long term all that much

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Just bumping to say that Day has been having a great Memorial Cup.

His skating is just superb.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
So he is on the right track then, maybe a mini-steal for Rangers (and me?)......

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
His skating+speed+size combo is insane. Flying like that at 231 pounds is insane. Day is one of the most boom/bust prospects I've seen in a while. Could be a 1D, could be a complete bust. Happy the Rangers grabbed him though

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His skating+speed+size combo is insane. Flying like that at 231 pounds is insane. Day is one of the most boom/bust prospects I've seen in a while. Could be a 1D, could be a complete bust. Happy the Rangers grabbed him though

I don't see 1D potential. I don't see more than average defense potential, and I'm not sure he's a really big points guy in the NHL. He's good with all the different offensive aspects, but not elite at any.

If he can become an average defender, I could see like 35-40 points in the Skjei offensive mold, but I don't see him as a Brent Burns type. I don't think he has the offense to be that good offensively. I think his highest upside is 2D.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Confidence must be sky high, something that was missing last year.

Just remember it's his fourth full OHL season, but if the big league is getting smaller, quicker, a kid like Day could adapt quickly.

Pair him with a reliable partner in Hartford and see how it goes. Wasnt a bad pick at the time considering where the Rangers were drafting.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I couldn't​ imagine what his skating would look like if he was able to lose 20-30 pounds. He's visibly out of shape and still one of the best skaters out there.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe a dumb suggestion, but if his hockey IQ (which at this point in a players career is pretty hard to fix) isn't that good and he has a great shot and is an amazing skater...

Convert him to wing?

That rarely happens or works, and in fact I can only think of a couple examples in the last 15 years, and it's not like wingers don't need hockey IQ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad