LD Sean Day (2016, 81st, NYR) II

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Day is STUPID talented. To the point where he still should've been a second round pick based on talent alone. His fall was huge and he really needed a kick in the ass (personal problems or not, he's a fairly lazy player).

I unfortunately haven't had much of a chance to check in (new job and new commute) this season, but the returns are looking very nice on him right now.

Day will go as far as he allows himself to go.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Day is STUPID talented. To the point where he still should've been a second round pick based on talent alone. His fall was huge and he really needed a kick in the ass (personal problems or not, he's a fairly lazy player).

I unfortunately haven't had much of a chance to check in (new job and new commute) this season, but the returns are looking very nice on him right now.

Day will go as far as he allows himself to go.

It's unfortunate this trade didn't happen 1 or maybe even 2 years ago.

Mississauga wasn't the place for him at all.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
All three goals for his team today in a 3-2 win. 10 goals and 8 assists in 22 games so far this season. Last season he only had 6 goals and 16 assists in 57 games. He's already surpassed his goal tally and is close to surpassing his points tally.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I admit....I was hoping Philly would take him....we had the pick right after NYR.

I really wanted to take the risk on him to add him to the young and prospects we already had.....especially since we had already drafted Rubstov, Leberge, Hart and Allison before that.

He was well worth the risk. I felt at worst he would be a AHL/NHL tweener with the upside of so much more. Hate that the Rangers were the one that took that risk.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So, how has he looked recently? So far, from reports I'm seeing, he's looked pretty good so far. Playing on the right side with Sergachev, I believe?

Has a crazy high SOG count. Second on the team with 91 combined, though even just counting his time at Windsor puts him at 71, which is still second on the team.

11-9-20 in 25GP, which is tied for 6th on the team (1st for D)

Has a +/- of +13 (second on the team)

2 GWG and a hat trick.

Seems good to me.

Anyone here watch him regularly?

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I've seen about a half a dozen games so far and bits and pieces of about a half a dozen more. He has looked good. He has been the shooter on the PP with Sergachev as the setup man. Although the last couple of games, Sergachev seems to be shooting a bit more. His skating is really noticeable and I've liked his game so far. He looks like he still needs some refinement in his game, but still looks dominant at times. I think the consistency and refinement will come with time.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I've seen about a half a dozen games so far and bits and pieces of about a half a dozen more. He has looked good. He has been the shooter on the PP with Sergachev as the setup man. Although the last couple of games, Sergachev seems to be shooting a bit more. His skating is really noticeable and I've liked his game so far. He looks like he still needs some refinement in his game, but still looks dominant at times. I think the consistency and refinement will come with time.

Refinement in what areas?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
The big issue is his hockey IQ. Has his feel for the game improved this season, or is he just looking strong in regards to his raw attributes still?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
.5 ppg in draft +1 year not great. 11 goals indicates his shooting percentage is probably p high

Way higher than last year, as well. Been more consistent in all three zones than last season. No one considers Day a great prospect, but he should at least get to the NHL because of his skating, and probably has a decent chance to be a middle pairing defenseman, at his current level of play. He could still develop, and be better than that. He has big time tools. Great skater, great size, good passer of the puck and he has a very quick release, which is part of why his shooting percentage is high. He needs to tighten up his game defensively for when he plays in pro hockey, but he's above average defensively in the OHL. With some normal improvements that offensive minded defenseman usually make between 18-22 defensively, he should be an NHL'er.

So maybe he won't justify the ES status he got in the OHL, but odds are better than not that he'll be a regular NHL defenseman.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

Way higher than last year, as well. Been more consistent in all three zones than last season. No one considers Day a great prospect, but he should at least get to the NHL because of his skating, and probably has a decent chance to be a middle pairing defenseman, at his current level of play. He could still develop, and be better than that. He has big time tools. Great skater, great size, good passer of the puck and he has a very quick release, which is part of why his shooting percentage is high. He needs to tighten up his game defensively for when he plays in pro hockey, but he's above average defensively in the OHL. With some normal improvements that offensive minded defenseman usually make between 18-22 defensively, he should be an NHL'er.

So maybe he won't justify the ES status he got in the OHL, but odds are better than not that he'll be a regular NHL defenseman.

Day is 37th in OHL points, which means is likely outside of the top 100 in the CHL. I'd bet that he plays less than 150 NHL games.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

They really aren't. While supposidly better than in Sauga, his work ethic just isn't there and he's still not a very smart player. Unless he starts taking his career seriously he won't be an NHLer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Day is 37th in OHL points, which means is likely outside of the top 100 in the CHL. I'd bet that he plays less than 150 NHL games.

And how many games of his have you watched?

They really aren't. While supposidly better than in Sauga, his work ethic just isn't there and he's still not a very smart player. Unless he starts taking his career seriously he won't be an NHLer.

He actually has been fine since late last season. Windsor fans say he's been great for them on a consistent basis, and his play has checked out the few games I've seen. Things have to be put in perspective that you have to pretty much be great in the OHL to make the NHL, but he's well on his way to being an NHL regular. Do you have any specific evidence that his work ethic has been a problem this season? I feel like this is a really old label on him.

No one's saying he's going to be a great NHL'er. To get there, he would need to take some big steps. He has some areas he's not that good at, hockey IQ, d-zone coverage, forcing the play too often offensively, but he doesn't need to play such a well rounded game. He's maybe the best skater in junior hockey, along with being 6'3 230. He's basically like a Chris Kreider in terms of size, strength, skating. And he's also shown above average passing and a good shot, so there certainly are good tools there that will get him to the NHL, and be good enough for him to stick, as long as he's not a complete disaster defensively. He's shown defensive improvements in the last year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He actually has been fine since late last season. Windsor fans say he's been great for them on a consistent basis, and his play has checked out the few games I've seen. Things have to be put in perspective that you have to pretty much be great in the OHL to make the NHL, but he's well on his way to being an NHL regular. Do you have any specific evidence that his work ethic has been a problem this season? I feel like this is a really old label on him.

No one's saying he's going to be a great NHL'er. To get there, he would need to take some big steps. He has some areas he's not that good at, hockey IQ, d-zone coverage, forcing the play too often offensively, but he doesn't need to play such a well rounded game. He's maybe the best skater in junior hockey, along with being 6'3 230. He's basically like a Chris Kreider in terms of size, strength, skating. And he's also shown above average passing and a good shot, so there certainly are good tools there that will get him to the NHL, and be good enough for him to stick, as long as he's not a complete disaster defensively. He's shown defensive improvements in the last year.
He's far from well on his way to being an NHL regular. He was drafted in the late third for a reason. A bunch of people around the league are still very down on him and his chances. His skating is amazing, but he still doesn't take the conditioning side of his game seriously and is probably Windsor's 3rd or 4th best defenceman. His lack of work ethic and his lack of hockey-IQ will be his undoing. He might eventually make it as a top 4 D, but nothing he's done shows that it is the likely outcome or that he is well on his way.

Do I have specific evidence? Just what I'm hearing from well-connected people around the league who I won't mention by name. You can take it for what its worth. It is better than it was in Sauga and the Hlinka camp, but it is still far from the type of attitude you expect from a kid chasing the NHL. Maybe he wakes up one day and wants it, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do I have specific evidence? Just what I'm hearing from well-connected people around the league who I won't mention by name. You can take it for what its worth. It is better than it was in Sauga and the Hlinka camp, but it is still far from the type of attitude you expect from a kid chasing the NHL. Maybe he wakes up one day and wants it, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Is this from this season? Everyone knows these things were a problem in the past, but there really hasn't been any indication this season or towards the end of last season that his work ethic was a problem. You might know better, which is why I'm asking.

And about his play, this is very different from what Windsor fans say. I've went to their thread a few times this season, and asked about his play. Some other Ranger fans have done the same thing. They always say he's been very good, so while I do respect your knowledge of the CHL, I just don't agree with you about your assessment of his game. The work-ethic stuff is different, and if you have sources telling you its still a problem, then I won't dispute that, but there does seem to be a discrepancy between your opinion of how he's playing, the opinion of Ranger fans that have watched him play this season and what Windsor fans have said about his play.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

I don't need to watch games to understand probability

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is this from this season? Everyone knows these things were a problem in the past, but there really hasn't been any indication this season or towards the end of last season that his work ethic was a problem. You might know better, which is why I'm asking.

And about his play, this is very different from what Windsor fans say. I've went to their thread a few times this season, and asked about his play. Some other Ranger fans have done the same thing. They always say he's been very good, so while I do respect your knowledge of the CHL, I just don't agree with you about your assessment of his game. The work-ethic stuff is different, and if you have sources telling you its still a problem, then I won't dispute that, but there does seem to be a discrepancy between your opinion of how he's playing, the opinion of Ranger fans that have watched him play this season and what Windsor fans have said about his play.
Heard that about him in 2017.

Most of the stuff I pointed out about his game you acknowledged in your post responding to mine. He's not a smart player, maybe his physical tools will compensate for it. But, he still has trouble getting offensive production when focusing on defense. Playing a balanced game is something he should be able to do successfully at this point in his OHL career. He's always been a fairly one-track mind player. If he can find the work ethic and balance in his game he has a solid chance of being a good pro, but I wouldn't bet on it as likely or tracking. He's like most 3rd round picks, with a couple right breaks he can have a long-term NHL career, but it is far from the likely outcome.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Heard that about him in 2017.

Most of the stuff I pointed out about his game you acknowledged in your post responding to mine. He's not a smart player, maybe his physical tools will compensate for it. But, he still has trouble getting offensive production when focusing on defense. Playing a balanced game is something he should be able to do successfully at this point in his OHL career. He's always been a fairly one-track mind player. If he can find the work ethic and balance in his game he has a solid chance of being a good pro, but I wouldn't bet on it as likely or tracking. He's like most 3rd round picks, with a couple right breaks he can have a long-term NHL career, but it is far from the likely outcome.

Lol it rarely ever does ( see Virtanen ).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lol it rarely ever does ( see Virtanen ).
Yep, I know. Trying to make proper reads at NHL speed is the biggest adjustment for defenders when they step up, which is why it tends to be a harder position to project than forwards. Although, Virtanen is basically a walking example of Murphy's Law at this point. Everything that could go wrong in his development has. He was rushed, he's had injuries, and he's completely lost confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad