LD Sean Day (2016, 81st, NYR) II

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
20 points in 23 gp on a pretty offensively inept Spitfires team. It's his overage year but he seems to be playing well

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Wasn't good enough for the AHL this year?

Didn't have a great Traverse City tournament and was sent down to the Wolfpack pretty early in training camp. I think management were then a bit concerned that he wouldn't get much playing time for the Pack as there was the expectation of a bit of a logjam of AHL D, and they'd need some vets in there as well. So the plan was send day back to juniors where he'd hopefully be playing around 25 mins a night in important situations

Reactions: 5cotland

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Assuming Graves and one of DeAngelo or Pionk move up to the main roster next season, Day is a shoo-in for the HFD roster next season.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
How come he has dual Belgian/Canadian citizenship but his brother has solely American citizenship (according to Eliteprospects)

Did their dad play hockey overseas or something?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I still think this kid is going to crack an NHL roster at some point. Maybe's he's just not done cooking yet, but I find it hard to believe a player with his size, skill and skating ability won't make the show. HFD next season, and a call up during the year I think will happen.

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
he turns 20 in January, so I think this is his last year of eligibility

He was eligible for the AHL this year because he got exceptional status and started in the league a year early, but I believe he is still allowed to have an overage season, which would be next year. Regardless, it will not matter, he won't be in juniors next year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He was eligible for the AHL this year because he got exceptional status and started in the league a year early, but I believe he is still allowed to have an overage season, which would be next year. Regardless, it will not matter, he won't be in juniors next year.

ok ill take your word for that, I don't know for sure the rules. very hard to see him back in jnr next yr that's for sure

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
he turns 20 in January, so I think this is his last year of eligibility

It doesn’t matter when a player turns 20, it’s what their birth year is at the start of the season. This year 97’s are considered overagers, next season 98’s, etc, etc.

In theory he could be back in the CHL next season but there’s zero chance of that. It would be something to see a 6 year CHL player tho...

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It doesn’t matter when a player turns 20, it’s what their birth year is at the start of the season. This year 97’s are considered overagers, next season 98’s, etc, etc.

In theory he could be back in the CHL next season but there’s zero chance of that. It would be something to see a 6 year CHL player tho...

yeah, as I said I defer to you and the other poster. I thought it was straight 20 yrs old, as in if you turn 20 before the season start you are ineligible for that upcoming season. good to know though thanks

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I still think this kid is going to crack an NHL roster at some point. Maybe's he's just not done cooking yet, but I find it hard to believe a player with his size, skill and skating ability won't make the show. HFD next season, and a call up during the year I think will happen.
Same here, I don't think he'll become some great dman and boom, I see him around what John Moore is which is solid

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How come he has dual Belgian/Canadian citizenship but his brother has solely American citizenship (according to Eliteprospects)

Did their dad play hockey overseas or something?

They moved around a lot as kids. I think his brother was born in Michigan whereas Day was born in Belgium.

He was born in Belgium and skated on ice for the first time at a shopping mall in Singapore. He has visited Australia, Japan, China, Thailand and Cambodia, to name a few ports of call. He has resided for most of his years in the United States.

But from a young age he has always carried a torch for the country of his passport and his parental lineage. His father, Keith, an executive with a multinational chemical company whose work took the Days all over the world, is a Toronto-born loyalist of the NHL Maple Leafs. His mother, Carol, grew up in Willowdale.

from OHLer Sean Day intent on earning his exceptional status – Mississauga Steelheads

Reactions: Stive Morgan

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I watched a Wolfpack game earlier in the season and thought he played well, but now I think he’s rotating in and out of the lineup with a few other dmen

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Been scratched way too much here, he didn't look out of place in the games he has played but Crawley stepped into a PDO spree here so he's not coming out of the lineup. Injuries will happen so Day will get more chances, might be good to send him down to Maine over a weekend of games for conditioning if there's not spot for Day soon, hopefully not a longer stint down there though.

Reactions: Kronner55

P10p

May 15, 2012
Is this guy a train wreck defensively or what?

Looking at stats alone he passes, just curious whats up with him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That’s a long fall from exceptional status. Pretty amazing. I guess it was better for teams to find out before he was drafted in the 1st round. Low risk high reward pick for the Rags where he was selected so it doesn’t really hurt them.

he’s still young enough to maybe try and salvage a pro career.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
That’s a long fall from exceptional status. Pretty amazing. I guess it was better for teams to find out before he was drafted in the 1st round. Low risk high reward pick for the Rags where he was selected so it doesn’t really hurt them.

he’s still young enough to maybe try and salvage a pro career.

Low risk? This kid dominated juniors because of his size. Definately was a risky pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad