LD Sean Day (2016, 81st, NYR) II

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Is he really as stank as people say? Even so, see someone taking a chance as a project in the second round.

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016
Does Day go in rounds 2-3?

Latest on Day is that he's sinking into Nick Ebert/John McFarland territory: once highly touted, now sinking like a stone. I predict he'll fall further than Kylvington did last year - fifth round or later.....

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Does Day go in rounds 2-3?
I said this in the prior thread, but i feel the isles might gamble on him given their recent drafting history (Kabanov, Ho-Sang, Pilon), he probably has the widest range because all it takes is one team loving his skill set, but there are for sure multiple teams that have taken him off their board. I feel he won't slip out of the 3rd, someone will gamble on his tools and this draft lacks depth.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I said this in the prior thread, but i feel the isles might gamble on him given their recent drafting history (Kabanov, Ho-Sang, Pilon), he probably has the widest range because all it takes is one team loving his skill set, but there are for sure multiple teams that have taken him off their board. I feel he won't slip out of the 3rd, someone will gamble on his tools and this draft lacks depth.

I wouldn't mind it. The pedigree is there. He's a great skater and has potential. Hockey IQ might be a major problem. I still think he's worth taking a late round flier on.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Is he better or worse than Logan Stanley? Having watched him a few times, I personally believe Stanley is quite overrated and he's pretty much a universally projected 1st rounder. I'm curious to see if anyone that watches both can tell me which is the better prospect.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Equal IMO. Both are guys I'd take late 2nd round. Don't get the love fest over Stanley being a 1st round pick by so many.

On that note, when was the last time a 2nd/3rd round prospect had to have his second thread mad before he was even drafted :laugh:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The problem with Day is that he's already been labeled a disappointment and he's still 3-4 years away from being considered for an NHL job. His confidence with the puck may be getting better, but you have to worry about how he's really processing all the "bust" talk. Has to be tough on a kid.

You're basically asking a teenager to completely change their approach, demeanor etc, which can actually make matters worse. We saw the same thing with Esposito, Macfarland, Schroeder etc.

Some team will give him a shot but he shouldn't be a high pick.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I remember how touted he was at 1 time. He probably gets drafted but not at the #1 spot many people thought he would go at 1 time.

Philip Kessel

Jun 10, 2015
I remember how touted he was at 1 time. He probably gets drafted but not at the #1 spot many people thought he would go at 1 time.

i think he still gets drafted #1 overall Matthew is very over rated and he's born 97 so in one year i can see Day being the best from the draft too much potential…

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Based on how 2/3 have turned out and Ho-Sang still in doubt, wouldn't the opposite be true? Wouldn't they be of the opinion that it's not worth the risk since none of the others have panned out.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
i think he still gets drafted #1 overall Matthew is very over rated and he's born 97 so in one year i can see Day being the best from the draft too much potential…

He's a 1997 who played against men in the NLA and finished 2nd in PPG in the whole league.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Hope Toronto takes a chance on him with a late second or something if he's still on the board. His skating and natural physical attributes just seem too good for me to pass on.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Based on how 2/3 have turned out and Ho-Sang still in doubt, wouldn't the opposite be true? Wouldn't they be of the opinion that it's not worth the risk since none of the others have panned out.

It's more about Snow's mindset. He just loves his boom or bust picks. The poster above also didn't mention Kirill Petrov, another most likely wasted 3rd rounder (who was originally supposed to go in the 1st).

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=110606533&postcount=79

I was half-joking when I said that, but if he uses a 2nd or 3rd (which he has to get from somewhere first) on Day I won't be surprised one bit.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's more about Snow's mindset. He just loves his boom or bust picks. The poster above also didn't mention Kirill Petrov, another most likely wasted 3rd rounder (who was originally supposed to go in the 1st).

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=110606533&postcount=79

I was half-joking when I said that, but if he uses a 2nd or 3rd (which he has to get from somewhere first) on Day I won't surprised one bit.
yep, he appears comfortable making the gamble, I don't think he'll shy away. There were reports Barzal was not great in his interviews that may of led to his slip.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I hope we snag him I think Babcock can do wonders for him
I think Babcock is a great coach, but he's not a miracle worker. I don't think he'd gel with what the leafs are trying to build, his IQ and work ethic aren't there, and Babs doesn't have much patience with those guys.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Don't think he gets passed round 2. Some gm somewhere is going to want this kid.

Does he have work ethic attitude issues? If not then I think he goes 2nd round.

incognito Burrito*

If a team asks him if he's willing to play forward like some of suggested, that could increase his value a little.if he's willing.

The way his skating is described and his size he could be a thorn for every other team

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sean Day is a puzzle. Admittedly I am not super high on him. But to be fair I always try to not let preconceived notions cloud my scouting and more so my judgment.

I thought he was very good today. If you were watching him for the first time in your only viewing of him thus far this year. You would come away thinking he is a 1st rd pick. If he played like this all year, and not only some of the time. He would be clearly one of the top D men available in this draft.

buttman*

Is he really as stank as people say? Even so, see someone taking a chance as a project in the second round.

He's not as bad as people say. Remember, gere at HF it's either balck or white.

I've seen him play a few times and he's easily one of the best skaters in the draft. He doesn't generate much offence. IF I had to compare him to someone it would be Anton Stralman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad