LD Sean Day (2016, 81st, NYR) II

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Low risk? This kid dominated juniors because of his size. Definately was a risky pick.

low risk as in being picked in the 3rd round. If they picked him in the 1st round that’s more of a chance/risk you’re taking on a guy with such a high pick.

Day has all The measurables and for his side can skate really well. Usually that’s a good thing but he plays Raw and never really took proper steps in development it seems.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
That’s a long fall from exceptional status. Pretty amazing. I guess it was better for teams to find out before he was drafted in the 1st round. Low risk high reward pick for the Rags where he was selected so it doesn’t really hurt them.

he’s still young enough to maybe try and salvage a pro career.

He was given ES for all the wrong reasons IMO - potential and citizenship. He showed flashes at 14/15 of having an exceptional skillset, but I can't justify giving a kid the status if they can't bring it each and every night and absolutely dominate their peers. I remember at the time I questioned the decision as it was the 3rd in 3 years as well after Ekblad and McDavid, but there were lots of people like Brian Killrea and other OHL scouts who said he had a higher ceiling than any 14 year old they had seen, so I myself (after seeing a few flashes) could understand the hype.

I really hope he figures it out, I know the ability is in there but I haven't followed him closely enough to see his progress.

Edit - I will also say it maybe should have been a red flag when he got passed over by 3 teams in the OHL. Every other ES player has gone 1st overall, and I remember John McFarland was rejected on the basis that he would likely not have been the 1st overall pick. It should almost be a guarantee that an ES player is going 1st, looking back it was a puzzling decision.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s not good enough at hockey to reach the NHL. Huge physical presence and a great skater, but his hockey skills are not professional level. The size and skating got him a brief stint in the AHL and he does well in the ECHL, but I doubt he’ll ever be good enough for the NHL. I’m sure he could continue his hockey career and have success. Not everyone reaches the NHL. It doesn’t matter how good you were at 13 years old. If at that age you can safely predict you’ll be a professional athlete and make a decent living, I think almost anyone would take that. So few are part of the less than 1% of pros who reach the NHL.

Reactions: wetcoast

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
As a Leafs fan I’d still be interested in giving him a contract, preferably an AHL deal with the Marlies though. The size and skating has always been there, maybe with their resources and open minded approach they can bring the rest of his game along. I realize it’s a long shot at this point but it’s low risk.

It’s difficult to fathom how a guy with his physical abilities couldn’t be turned into a guy who just plays a very simple and sound game.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He was given ES for all the wrong reasons IMO - potential and citizenship. He showed flashes at 14/15 of having an exceptional skillset, but I can't justify giving a kid the status if they can't bring it each and every night and absolutely dominate their peers. I remember at the time I questioned the decision as it was the 3rd in 3 years as well after Ekblad and McDavid, but there were lots of people like Brian Killrea and other OHL scouts who said he had a higher ceiling than any 14 year old they had seen, so I myself (after seeing a few flashes) could understand the hype.

I really hope he figures it out, I know the ability is in there but I haven't followed him closely enough to see his progress.

Edit - I will also say it maybe should have been a red flag when he got passed over by 3 teams in the OHL. Every other ES player has gone 1st overall, and I remember John McFarland was rejected on the basis that he would likely not have been the 1st overall pick. It should almost be a guarantee that an ES player is going 1st, looking back it was a puzzling decision.

Solid post.

speaking of McFarland any time I see his name all I can think of is watching him on draft night be so distraught over not going first round. In hindsight it was obviously the right choice but that was tough to watch.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
speaking of McFarland any time I see his name all I can think of is watching him on draft night be so distraught over not going first round. In hindsight it was obviously the right choice but that was tough to watch.

I forget which of the TSN guys used the term "one suit guy" for a surefire first rounder. I remember McFarland seemingly having to wear the same shirt/tie combo the next day (granted it's possible he packed two of the same color dress shirt). Somebody like Jon Merrill who also fell out of the first that year opted to wear a polo shirt instead of the same suit for day 2.

In 2011, my buddy and I managed to sneak into the players' section of seats for the draft. We were sitting like ten feet away from Brandon Saad and you see him sweating out the last few picks of the first round that year.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
As a Leafs fan I’d still be interested in giving him a contract, preferably an AHL deal with the Marlies though. The size and skating has always been there, maybe with their resources and open minded approach they can bring the rest of his game along. I realize it’s a long shot at this point but it’s low risk.

Unfortunately, it takes more than size and skating to succeed in the NHL.

Exhibit B: Steve Kelly

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Unfortunately, it takes more than size and skating to succeed in the NHL.

Exhibit B: Steve Kelly

Of course. But I think the mental side of the game can be taught and I’d like to see the Leafs give it a shot. I’m sure the Rangers and the junior teams he played for tried too but I think it’s worth the gamble.

There are plenty of NHL D who don’t bring much to the table in terms of puck skills and vision who have had solid careers despite being less gifted physically than Day. From everything I’ve seen and read about him the only thing preventing him from being able to have a good career as a shutdown type D is between the ears.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Exceptional status should mean the player has an NHL career. Don't have to be in the hall of fame but the player must tick every box.

I assume the plight of Day will give those that decide on such matters food for thought going forward. What did they miss? They will learn from it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Tampa has a good track record in the AHL. So, maybe there is some hope for him, and this is coming from someone who was very down on him in his draft year and junior career with quite a bit of pushback from the people who thought he should have gone higher.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
before the OHL he was pretty dominant. Game just won't translate to the pros well, as seen by hindsight.
I mean, when you are that much more developed than everyone its a big deal. It's not like McDavid who was dominating older kids while being underdeveloped. He was 6'2, 200 pounds at 14 with high-end skating, which will cover up a lot of IQ and lack of work ethic. Ekblad was another man-child, but he didn't possess elite skating so he was always somewhat reliant on positioning. Tavares was stocky for a 14-year-old, but not particularly big and was also heavily reliant on IQ and positioning.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Sean Day will make the NHL as a bottom pairing defenceman. He has what it takes to carve out a modest role for himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad