LD Jake Sanderson - Univ. of North Dakota, NCAA (2020, 5th, OTT) Part 2

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
You realize 18 year olds typically put on weight, right? And that every kid has a different age where they get their "man strength".

I am also not sure why your arguments always go back to stats, whether they be height/weight or point totals.

Using one of your team's own prospects as an example, Cole Caufield, literally the entire world "towers" over him. His stats, while impressive, also compare to some players who had less than stellar careers. Should we assume the same is going to happen to Cole? No...that would be absurd. There are so many factors involved in what makes a star NHL player other than an 18 year old's numbers.
Those players were 200 pounds or better at the combine, which would have been over year ago for Sanderson if it was held last year.
At the WJC he was listed at 185, and at North Dakota as well. So they probably had 20 on him at least. They also put up similar or better point totals at a younger age. But you want me to believe that Jake is going to be a much better player in 5 years? Why?
As far as Caufield goes, he can do his thing while avoiding contact, as an offensive forward. Would it be better if he was 6-2 and 200 pounds with the same skill set? Sure, but he wouldn't have been sitting on the board in the middle of the first round unless there were multiple warrants out for his arrest on serious criminal charges at the time.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
This is based on 100 games, not if they stuck or had good careers or turned into regular NHL players

yes this is based on actual facts & information if that’s what you mean. The ‘success’ level of 100 games (for the 67%) was defined by people analyzing this as professionals as a useful number.
What I didn’t do was randomly pick a number out of the air like say 20% & then try to justify it with some goal post moving of previously unmentioned and still undefined ‘goodness’ level of the players to make it work.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
yes this is based on actual facts & information if that’s what you mean. The ‘success’ level of 100 games (for the 67%) was defined by people analyzing this as professionals as a useful number.
What I didn’t do was randomly pick a number out of the air like say 20% & then try to justify it with some goal post moving of previously unmentioned and still undefined ‘goodness’ level of the players to make it work.

Well it’s pretty close if you count guys over 200 games it’s under 25%

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
OK, how about K'Andre Miller from the previous class, then? Miller towers over Sanderson and had a much more impressive first year in college. Naw, can't be bothered with current comparables, head straight to Ryan Suter ......

Just telling you what his coach said. So you know more than the UNTP coach now too? Your hubris knows no bounds.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Those players were 200 pounds or better at the combine, which would have been over year ago for Sanderson if it was held last year.
At the WJC he was listed at 185, and at North Dakota as well. So they probably had 20 on him at least. They also put up similar or better point totals at a younger age. But you want me to believe that Jake is going to be a much better player in 5 years? Why?
As far as Caufield goes, he can do his thing while avoiding contact, as an offensive forward. Would it be better if he was 6-2 and 200 pounds with the same skill set? Sure, but he wouldn't have been sitting on the board in the middle of the first round unless there were multiple warrants out for his arrest on serious criminal charges at the time.

So let me understand this. A difference of 15 lbs at 18 years old makes you question Sanderson's potential? What?

You keep going back to stats. Again, let this sink in - Sanderson's numbers are comparable to the best offensive d-man in the NHL right now when they were the same age.

Nobody is claiming that Sanderson is going to have Makar level offense, because most reasonable people understand that stats tell a small part of the story.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Lol,Robert you really need to get a grip bro....Or make a poll and see for yourself how much you arent making sense...Sanderson to go along with a very high level of developing offense ,already was known for his elite level of defensive play...Stop reaching

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Just telling you what his coach said. So you know more than the UNTP coach now too? Your hubris knows no bounds.
Saying someone "might" be the best when asked for an opinion on him is hardly a definitive statement. Have you ever heard a coach call the prospect who played for him mediocre?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Probably for reasons like the UNTP coach saying Sanderson might be the best defencemen he's ever had on the U18 squad. That type of description puts him in the class of Werenski, McAvoy and Seth Jones, not Cam York.

York is a nice little d-man though.

To clarify, York and Sanderson had different head coaches for their age groups. Appert coached Sanderson 100% of his time at the NTDP. He might've coached York like 5% of his time at the NTDP. And from what I've read and heard in interviews, the teams don't mix that much in practices/scrimmages either, so I'm not sure he's even taking York into account when he makes a comment like that, not that I think the comparison between the two makes much sense.

And Appert hasn't coached that many USNTDP teams. The pool of defensemen he's competing against when Appert makes a comment like that is guys like Samuelsson, Miller, Wilde, Hughes (as an assistant), maybe York for about 5% of his games at the NTDP. It's a nice accolade, but it's not anything crazy.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
This is something Ottawa needs. Sanderson projects to be a top pairing defenseman at the NHL level. I see him as a true #1 dman and I don't see a flaw in his game. Maybe his shot accuracy could improve, but thats not a big deal this early on.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think if he signs and goes to Belleville for the rest of the season, then sees a few games and has a huge summer training, he's close to being as ready as if he goes back and flat out dominates college, but I'd personally prefer him to go back and do that dominating and go the world juniors. I doubt there's a wrong answer here though. The kids has 'the goods'.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
To clarify, York and Sanderson had different head coaches for their age groups. Appert coached Sanderson 100% of his time at the NTDP. He might've coached York like 5% of his time at the NTDP. And from what I've read and heard in interviews, the teams don't mix that much in practices/scrimmages either, so I'm not sure he's even taking York into account when he makes a comment like that, not that I think the comparison between the two makes much sense.

And Appert hasn't coached that many USNTDP teams. The pool of defensemen he's competing against when Appert makes a comment like that is guys like Samuelsson, Miller, Wilde, Hughes (as an assistant), maybe York for about 5% of his games at the NTDP. It's a nice accolade, but it's not anything crazy.
To clarify, Appert isn’t the coach who said that, Nick Fohr was

NTDP associate coach Nick Fohr oversees the defensemen, and in his nine seasons with the program has worked with several players currently competing in the NHL, including Seth Jones (Columbus Blue Jackets), Zach Werenski (Blue Jackets), Noah Hanifin(Calgary Flames) and Charlie McAvoy (Boston Bruins). He believes Sanderson ranks among that elite group.
"Sandy is right in that mix of the top three guys I've coached here, if not the top guy," Fohr said.”

Fohr was with all D over the past 9 years, so yes, York was taken into account. No mention of any of the guys in your post.

Last edited:

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
To clarify, Appert isn’t the coach who said that, Nick Fohr was

NTDP associate coach Nick Fohr oversees the defensemen, and in his nine seasons with the program has worked with several players currently competing in the NHL, including Seth Jones (Columbus Blue Jackets), Zach Werenski (Blue Jackets), Noah Hanifin(Calgary Flames) and Charlie McAvoy (Boston Bruins). He believes Sanderson ranks among that elite group.
"Sandy is right in that mix of the top three guys I've coached here, if not the top guy," Fohr said.”

Fohr was with all D over the past 9 years, so yes, York was taken into account. No mention of any of the guys in your post.
This post should be enough for him to acknowledge that he's full of shit, but we all know it won't be.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
This post should be enough for him to acknowledge that he's full of shit, but we all know it won't be.
Seth Jones 6-4, 206, at the Combine, also drafted a year AFTER leaving the NDTP. Even if you put Sanderson "in the mix" at 16/17, he falls out pretty quickly with the age and size differential compared to the others when you're projecting to the NHL. This coach had him a year from being picked #67 overall out of Alberta minor hockey, in a draft where Kaiden Guhle went #1 overall. What would he have said about Guhle?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Seth Jones 6-4, 206, at the Combine, also drafted a year AFTER leaving the NDTP. Even if you put Sanderson "in the mix" at 16/17, he falls out pretty quickly with the age and size differential compared to the others when you're projecting to the NHL. This coach had him a year from being picked #67 overall out of Alberta minor hockey, in a draft where Kaiden Guhle went #1 overall. What would he have said about Guhle?
That comment was made less than a year ago....it's been 4 years since Sanderson's WHL draft, in which he let it be known he would not be reporting to the WHL

Newhook went 41st in the Q, guess why?

Last edited:

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
What would he have said about Guhle?

Probably:

mariah-carey-i-dont-know-her-02.gif

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
That comment was made less than a year ago....it's been 4 years since Sanderson's WHL draft, in which he let it be known he would not be reporting to the WHL

Newhook went 41st in the Q, guess why?
He didn't have a father who was a WHL legend in his time. If you look at the stats and awards that Guhle and Sanderson accumulated in AMHL concurrently, the draft spots correspond well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
. This coach had him a year from being picked #67 overall out of Alberta minor hockey, in a draft where Kaiden Guhle went #1 overall. What would he have said about Guhle?
I'm sure after seeing his 2 goals and 1 assist performance in the world juniors he'd head right down to the Guhle thread and proclaim him the next bobby orr...

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
He didn't have a father who was a WHL legend in his time. If you look at the stats and awards that Guhle and Sanderson accumulated in AMHL concurrently, the draft spots correspond well.
Geoff Sanderson said his son made his decision after the draft in an interview. Said he didn't push Jake one way or the other, but would like to have him closer to home.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I'm sure after seeing his 2 goals and 1 assist performance in the world juniors he'd head right down to the Guhle thread and proclaim him the next bobby orr...
No, I'm just trying to figure out when, how, and why Sanderson came to be regarded as the better prospect. Not having much luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad