LD Jake Sanderson - Univ. of North Dakota, NCAA (2020, 5th, OTT) Part 2

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Aaaanyway....

North Dakota has a fantastic program. It would serve Sanderson well to play another season there.
Agreed. Could he leave early and handle NHL minutes? I really don't have a doubt that he could. Would that be best for his development? Not really in my opinion. Go back and be "the guy" at both UND and the WJC for the US. Let him dominate like he did for the past couple months. Let him work on his weaknesses. And maybe put up a few more points so we can see what else Robert Ethan thinks he sucks at.

Reactions: topshelf15

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I dont get where u think Montreal can draft though...So many picks ,yet far far too many fails to justify the one or two players Timmins has fluked on
I'm not a fan of Montreal drafts overall, or their head scout, but I thought the first couple of players they took the past two drafts were good. Guhle, Tuch, Caufield, and Struble.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Why is everyone acting like its college or nhl for him? Wouldn't time in the ahl be a good middle ground?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
The Sens need to take their time with Sanderson, the rebuild is going pretty well but let's not rush him.

If any team is deep with good young players and prospects, its Ottawa. I think in 3-4 years, you guys will have your strongest teams ever

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm not a fan of Montreal drafts overall, or their head scout, but I thought the first couple of players they took the past two drafts were good. Guhle, Tuch, Caufield, and Struble.
Thats fine ,but you comparing them to Ottawa,s.. A very proven drafting team seems very odd...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Iam ok with either TBH ,if Sanderson comes out he would get a look almost immediately at the NHL...And he should he need more development he would get top pairing mins in the AHL...But I can also see the benefit of him being top dog on campus

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I dont get where u think Montreal can draft though...So many picks ,yet far far too many fails to justify the one or two players Timmins has fluked on
I think the Habs and Sens are both great at drafting. Honestly surprised anyone can have this opinion about the Habs drafting when they've had a top prospect pool in the league for consecutive years now, but hey.

I'm excited for when both the Habs and Sens prospects/youth are playing big minutes in star roles. Hard disagree on Timmins though, you're definitely wrong there :)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think the Habs and Sens are both great at drafting. Honestly surprised anyone can have this opinion about the Habs drafting when they've had a top prospect pool in the league for consecutive years now, but hey.

I'm excited for when both the Habs and Sens prospects/youth are playing big minutes in star roles. Hard disagree on Timmins though, you're definitely wrong there :)

Probably has a lot to do with the 7YR stretch from 2008-2015 where they missed on 6 straight 1st round picks (Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen) and only produced one above average NHLer (Gallagher) during that time.

Their drafts the past couple years look good, but the Habs were unquestionably one of the worst drafting teams the previous decade (2008-2018).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

The Habs havent drafted well by comparison ,Timmins should have been let go by that team long ago...That team should be a contender,and not having to spend a 102 million ...

As for the staff comparison ,it was more in response to the poster...As I would trust Ottawa,s staff far far more in their decision in regards to Sanderson ,than Montreal,fans...

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Probably has a lot to do with the 7YR stretch from 2008-2015 where they missed on 6 straight 1st round picks (Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen) and only produced one above average NHLer (Gallagher) during that time.

Their drafts the past couple years look good, but the Habs were unquestionably one of the worst drafting teams the previous decade (2008-2018).

The Habs havent drafted well by comparison ,Timmins should have been let go by that team long ago...That team should be a contender,and not having to spend a 102 million ...

As for the staff comparison ,it was more in response to the poster...As I would trust Ottawa,s staff far far more in their decision in regards to Sanderson ,than Montreal,fans...
This is kind of overstated on this board. People like to say "they missed on all these first round picks!" when really... these guys were almost all 20th or later in the first round ,or not even first rounders at all.... which doesn't exactly have the best odds. Galchenyuk was the highest "bust" in that list and that draft is currently going down as one of the worst drafts in NHL history. With the amount of picks the Habs traded away in that span, and the picks they DID have being so low, my opinion is people who don't know what they are talking about look at the meagre results without looking at the details and the "why".

Now that Timmins actually has more picks to work with, many of which are higher in the first round, suddenly Timmins has been "better recently" and no one recognizes the correlation at all there? Nah, not buying it. Big fan of following prospects in general and Timmins IMO is one of the best. His track record from the last few drafts, where he had both quality AND quantity of picks, will prove it (and already is starting to prove it).

This is a Sanderson thread and so I'd like to bring it back there. I LOVE this kid, I agree with those who seem him being a comparable to Seider with respect to seeming like a "reach" to most but actually looking to potentially outperform where he was drafted. Personally, I have Moritz Seider as the best prospect outside the NHL, so if Sanderson can even come close to that trajectory. I'd be thrilled. Comparing him to the Habs pool, I'd take him over all Habs prospects not named Cole Caufield. Exciting times!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If the team thinks he is close and he agrees then he will sign,or he goes back to a great situation for him to continue to develop...Either or for me

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
North Dakota’s facilities, gym, rink, kitchen etc etc Trump any AHL’s.

they’re better than most small market NHL teams facilities.

You're not wrong... beautiful facility.
2898media14120211750.jpg

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Just out of curiosity, are there any examples of organizations showing preference on where a player plays?

Would it be inappropriate for the Senators organization to request for him to come to Canada to keep a better eye on him?

Obviously Senators trust NoDak’s development but just wondering if it’s a situation that happens or could happen.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
How come no one compares Sanderson to Cam York? They both came out as top NDTP defensemen in consecutive years. York had a similar Freshman season on a bad Michigan team. Sanderson is a little bigger, but York seems to have more offense.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
How come no one compares Sanderson to Cam York? They both came out as top NDTP defensemen in consecutive years. York had a similar Freshman season on a bad Michigan team. Sanderson is a little bigger, but York seems to have more offense.
Dont start this again....

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC

I'm not a Senators fan but I think you need to leave this innate obsession with Sanderson alone. Can you discuss the player in his thread without any sardonic comparisons?

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I'm not a Senators fan but I think you need to leave this innate obsession with Sanderson alone. Can you discuss the player in his thread without any sardonic comparisons?
Why is it sardonic? They both followed same path. Unlike Hanifan and Werenski, who skipped the U18 and went to college a year early. But they were a lot bigger than York and Sanderson, so they could handle the college game.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Why does York seem to have more offense? He scored 1 more point in 8 more games in his freshman year... I assume he played more PP time, too. Obviously York has offensive flair when you watch him, and comparing stats amongst players in different divisions & situations is a fools errand, but I'm not the one who initiated the errand.... and if York seems to have more offense, does Sanderson not seem to have more defensive prowess? He's also a solid 3 inches smaller.

Weird comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad