LD Jake Sanderson - Univ. of North Dakota, NCAA (2020, 5th, OTT) Part 2

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Then that’s not Appert. The wording of the post wasn’t specific, but yes, Fohr has been there for a long time as an assistant.
There is also the additional comments by Brad Shlosmann who has covered the UND team for the Grand Forks Herald for the last 20 years - he stated that he felt Sanderson was the best PLAYER he’s ever seen at UND (and specifically included Toews/Oshie).
They all add up to him being a really exciting prospect. Hope he lights it up next year at UND!

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Taking a strong stance against Jake Sanderson is some bizarre-ass shit imo... His ranking at the start of last season, and the mid-term one, is incredibly irrelevant as of today.

There is legitimately no other real knock against Sanderson other than his meteoric rise has caught some hard headed folks with their pants down. Metaphorically speaking :)

If you dont watch the games, his freshman stats are firmly in the upper half of Makar, McAvoy, Hughes, Werenski, Hanafin - and hes arguably the most solid defensively at that age in the NCAA).

Literally everyone who watches Jake closely not only sings his praises - but most of them will even go as far as saying he might be the prospect they've ever seen come through. And even if your not a fan of his, how is this possibly the hill you want to die on?

Team USA coaches opinions notwithstanding, if the Grand Forks lead sports reporter - someone whos seen firsthand and witnessed a freshman Jonathan Toews, Parise, Oshie, Boeser, Zajac ect ect - says that Sanderson is probably the best prospect EVER to come through there. Its something.

Starts at about the 35min mark.

Talking Hockey Sense with Brad Schlossman

So we have a late born kid with next level/bonkers skating, strong pro hockey bloodlines (hails from a ridiculous world class NHL speedster). Has the stats to back it up. The insane levels of praise by all of his handlers. A worth ethic and dedication to training/practice (either on the ice or in the gym at all times), and off the charts compete level. And he graduated through the highest and finest hockey programs the US has to offer. Then he capped it all off by being taken 5th overall by arguably the best scouting team in the league.

And so ya, its a downright silly to bet against Sanderson. Foolish imo. Hes as safe a pick as you can get in every sense of the definition.

Yeah. On the Wings board, fans got so attached to pre-season rankings, they absolutely could not conceive that I would rank Sanderson equal to Drysdale (and therefore ahead, because we need a LD and have Seider/Hronek as RD).
They dug in against me.
Then several of the most respected hockey rankings came out and with final rankings and Sanderson was ahead of Drysdale. But they still refused to entertain the idea that Sanderson was a better prospect.
Which is f***ing bizarre, I can count on one finger the number of Red Wings fans I saw advocating for Moritz Seider. Yet 2 days after the draft pick, everyone loved him.

Great speed. Great IQ. Great defense. Solid offense. Good size.
Kid is going to be a 25-minute a night defenseman and a leader wherever he goes.
I think lots of fans these days don't like defensemen unless they're 5'11 or shorter these days.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Sanderson getting underrated is really weird, because if anything he should be getting overrated.

I think it's because people don't believe in his offensive game which IMO is going to better than Drysdale's. It's more raw, but I like the instincts better.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I have no idea what you're talking about. I was comparing Guhle and Sanderson in AMHL. Prior to the Bantam draft, Guhle LED his U15 team in scoring with 40 points in 30 games. Same season, same level, little Jake was 8th on his team in scoring with 18 points in 30 odd games. Guhle was team captain, top defenseman and MVP. Sanderson was none of those things. The following year Guhle moved up to U18, dominated again, while Sanderson remained at U15 level before heading down to the US U17 team. Kaiden was clearly the superior talent at that point. The only times they played the same competition after that was at the U17 and U20 tournaments. Guhle put up better stats in both of those situations.
Nothing predicts NHL success like a player's 14 year old season.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Yeah. On the Wings board, fans got so attached to pre-season rankings, they absolutely could not conceive that I would rank Sanderson equal to Drysdale (and therefore ahead, because we need a LD and have Seider/Hronek as RD).
They dug in against me.
Then several of the most respected hockey rankings came out and with final rankings and Sanderson was ahead of Drysdale. But they still refused to entertain the idea that Sanderson was a better prospect.
Which is f***ing bizarre, I can count on one finger the number of Red Wings fans I saw advocating for Moritz Seider. Yet 2 days after the draft pick, everyone loved him.

Great speed. Great IQ. Great defense. Solid offense. Good size.
Kid is going to be a 25-minute a night defenseman and a leader wherever he goes.
I think lots of fans these days don't like defensemen unless they're 5'11 or shorter these days.
It was the same way on the Sens board for a while, it wasn’t until ~2 weeks leading up to the draft and after it was widely reported that the Sens loved Sanderson that Sens fans started to warmed up to the idea.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It was the same way on the Sens board for a while, it wasn’t until ~2 weeks leading up to the draft and after it was widely reported that the Sens loved Sanderson that Sens fans started to warmed up to the idea.

It took me a lot longer than that.

I wanted Drysdale (if we picked a defenceman) and Raymond (if we picked a forward). If not Raymond, then probably Rossi.

I also wanted Zadina over Tkachuk, so my recent track record may not be so great.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Hes staying in college as he should. I would love to see him develop more and come in next year ala Makar (without the powerhouse team behind him)

Reactions: topshelf15

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The top picks in the OHL and the Q were Byfield and Latendresse coming out of Midget. Just shows how unreliable early performance can be, huh?
What about Krebs and Suzuki? Were they the first guys from the OHL and WHL taken?

Something happening one year doesn’t make it a rule....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It took me a lot longer than that.

I wanted Drysdale (if we picked a defenceman) and Raymond (if we picked a forward). If not Raymond, then probably Rossi.

I also wanted Zadina over Tkachuk, so my recent track record may not be so great.
Drysdale would have also made sense as he’s a right along with docker, and with Chabot and Brannatrom as LHD it would have evened out perfectly.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Drysdale would have also made sense as he’s a right along with docker, and with Chabot and Brannatrom as LHD it would have evened out perfectly.

I think they are in serious need of NHL Dmen if Sanderson can’t produce points in the NHL he can still be a very solid player if Drysdale can’t produce he will have problems finding an actual roll.
They seemed to have gone with the safer pick

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Chabot-Drysdale
Brannstrom-JBD

vs

Chabot-JBD
Sanderson-Brannstrom

The latter is much more stronger suited to dominate against the high scoring east. Drysdale is phenomenal but Brannstrom and Chabot share many of his strengths. We have no one who shares the strengths of Sanderson. His ability to shutdown the best of the best while also being skilled offensively.

Heiskanen vs Keith thats how I see Sanderson vs Drysdale. Or Slavvin vs Rielly.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Keith is a full 200 ft player and I’d take him over Heiskanen every day. And I like Heiskanen.

it’s a bit backwards to how they’ve been written and portrayed as but I’ve always seen it as:

Sanderson = raw, extremely athletic, massive upside, lower floor

Drysdale = more polished, safe prospect, still dynamic, lower ceiling but more likely to hit it, probably more offense

That’s how I see it. They’re dead even to me. Just a matter of who you like more.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Keith is a full 200 ft player and I’d take him over Heiskanen every day. And I like Heiskanen.

it’s a bit backwards to how they’ve been written and portrayed as but I’ve always seen it as:

Sanderson = raw, extremely athletic, massive upside, lower floor

Drysdale = more polished, safe prospect, still dynamic, lower ceiling but more likely to hit it, probably more offense

That’s how I see it. They’re dead even to me. Just a matter of who you like more.

Drysdale is more polished? Which facet of Sanderson’s game isn’t refined?

I think Sanderson’s game is very mature and polished, but he does have a lot of untapped potential as well.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

pretty weak when people do that tbh. Don't like a prospect or player but when they end up on their teams they flip suddenly.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I think Sanderson’s game is very mature and polished, but he does have a lot of untapped potential as well.

I meant one year ago at draft- imo Sanderson didn’t have puck skills and smoothness to him that Drysdale did.

His game 100% seemed to be tighter and cleaner at UND.

Id still say Drysdale is more matured in his abilities though. Not to say he can’t get better either, but you get my point.

Reactions: Akrapovince

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Drysdale excelled at the WJC when he was 17 and has looked good in the NHL so far. He's further along in his development than Sanderson.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Drysdale excelled at the WJC when he was 17 and has looked good in the NHL so far. He's further along in his development than Sanderson.

I disagree, I think the gap between Sanderson and his end product is a lot smaller than Drysdale and his end product.

Maybe I view polished in a different manner than you guys do, but I see Sanderson as a safer top 4 type and I see the same with Drysdale with the exception that I see him hitting 60+ points consistently as his upside. (aka far from polished as he sits currently)

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I disagree, I think the gap between Sanderson and his end product is a lot smaller than Drysdale and his end product.

Maybe I view polished in a different manner than you guys do, but I see Sanderson as a safer top 4 type and I see the same with Drysdale with the exception that I see him hitting 60+ points consistently as his upside. (aka far from polished as he sits currently)

As a huge fan of Sanderson, and would take him over Drysdale (even more so for the Sens) - I feel like its inarguable that Sanderson was clearly more raw, and less polished than Drysdale at the time of the draft.

Hes only like 4 weeks older than the famously young/raw/unpolished Quinton Byfield.

I would argue today that he could very well be the superior player, but Drysdale almost reminds me of a smaller version Boumester. Invisible in a lot of ways both good and bad. But a minute cruncher and reliable.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sanderson getting underrated is really weird, because if anything he should be getting overrated.

I think it's because people don't believe in his offensive game which IMO is going to better than Drysdale's. It's more raw, but I like the instincts better.
Where is he getting underrated?

Personally I wasn't hugely impressed with him at the WJC. Thought he was mediocre offensively and steady defensively, but not amazingly so (played for a really good team too).
His NCAA numbers this year seem good, but not amazing? I'm not really invested in the NCAA scene though so I can't speak to all different factors like age, freshman status, team strength, role etc etc.
Then there's the fact that the obvious comparison in Drysdale has put up better numbers in a pro league and already shown good things in the NHL.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Where is he getting underrated?

Personally I wasn't hugely impressed with him at the WJC. Thought he was mediocre offensively and steady defensively, but not amazingly so (played for a really good team too).
His NCAA numbers this year seem good, but not amazing? I'm not really invested in the NCAA scene though so I can't speak to all different factors like age, freshman status, team strength, role etc etc.
Then there's the fact that the obvious comparison in Drysdale has put up better numbers in a pro league and already shown good things in the NHL.

Its a weird narrative at the WJC...

Sanderson finished the tourney as the #1D on the team that beat Canada. And while Drysdale played a bigger role from the start its true, Sanderson got there eventually.

They both put up a pedestrian looking 2pts. But one of these players walked away from the tourney without a blemish for that stat line. And it was used as concrete evidence for the other player being bad offensively.. Guess who is who?

And his stats as an 18yr old NCAA freshman put him in an elite category, if you're curious. Off the top of my head Quinn Hughes is the only guy to have a higher PPG, while giving up a ton on the defensive side of things to gain a slight statistical edge in offense over Sanderson.

And once he goes pro, Drysdale doesn't get to win that argument by default anymore. Not much that Jake can do about Drysdale doint well at this point. So time will tell I guess....

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad