Lavy, is the clock really ticking?

How long will Lavy still be coaching the Preds?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I want to live long enough to see Nashville win at least one Coupe Stanley!

I have about 30 years to go, unless I get run over crossing the street at work.

Lol, well let’s hope you look both ways before crossing.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I look both ways twice before crossing that street. Some people go 50+ in our 35 mph zone.

I used to be good at Frogger.
Frogger! Classic!

I always think of that Seinfeld episode with George and the frogger game lol

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Is he gone yet?

One thing I really dont get. Laviolette is obsessed with running all offense through defenders, yet last summer we trade our 2nd best defender for scraps in order to be able bring in a better forward. In doing so we gut our defense while still not using our forwards properly. Wouldnt it have been better to trade all our forwards for more Watsons and Boninos and instead put all our money on top class defenders.

Its all so stupid, I ser zero correlation between the system we run and the roster we build.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Is he gone yet?

One thing I really dont get. Laviolette is obsessed with running all offense through defenders, yet last summer we trade our 2nd best defender for scraps in order to be able bring in a better forward. In doing so we gut our defense while still not using our forwards properly. Wouldnt it have been better to trade all our forwards for more Watsons and Boninos and instead put all our money on top class defenders.

Its all so stupid, I ser zero correlation between the system we run and the roster we build.

Good point.

We actually talked about this a lot over the summer, how trading Subban made our defense worse offensively and physically too soft. The results are showing right now and the goalies haven't been able to make up the losses.

Especially, the 3rd pairing has been garbage all year, as to what it could've been if Fabbro would've been there for this year.

Reactions: SouthNash

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm sorry but this team doesn't miss Subban. This team misses a coach with a fully formed thought and assistants who aren't empty suits.

Lavi has been shuffling lines so much no one has chemistry. The decision to sit Turris was terrible. We went out and got the most coveted free agent of the class only to have him cover for pinching defensemen. Lavi hasn't removed inept assistant coaches.

Subban didn't do any of that.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I don’t know if coaching is the problem or not. I do know that we feel like the team should be performing better based on some supposed talent level. If the talent is truly there then I guess making a coaching change is the only real option.

With that said, I don’t think a coaching change is going to solve our goalie problem. Sure maybe a system tweak could help cover it up but that’s all it would be. Rinne is old and it is finally showing. Also, Saros doesn’t appear to be the answer if ‘who is the Preds future Stanley Cup winning keeper?’ is the question.

*edit*Looks like Vingan just posted an article on the goalie situation:

The Predators’ goaltending is letting them down and exposing their weaknesses
The Predators’ goaltending is letting them down and...

Last edited:

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
I'm sorry but this team doesn't miss Subban. This team misses a coach with a fully formed thought and assistants who aren't empty suits.

Lavi has been shuffling lines so much no one has chemistry. The decision to sit Turris was terrible. We went out and got the most coveted free agent of the class only to have him cover for pinching defensemen. Lavi hasn't removed inept assistant coaches.

Subban didn't do any of that.

Yeah, Om not saying we're missing Subban, Im just saying the idea of replacing a good defender with a good forward doesnt rhyme with how Lavi wants the team to play.

I dont buy that it all has to do with the shuffeling of lines and assistans this season though. This team has been broken for more than a year. We are a frustrating team to watch and Lavi plays a system which is demotivating for our forwards. A core of players manager to stat behind this for 1-2 seasons after that they get sick of it, thats why hes never successful for long.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
When you spend what we have on forwards and then watch those forwards spend entire shifts covering for the Dman who is below the goal line something isn't right. When you continually bring in 60-70 point forwards and they continually flounder, there is a problem.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Good point.

We actually talked about this a lot over the summer, how trading Subban made our defense worse offensively and physically too soft. The results are showing right now and the goalies haven't been able to make up the losses.

Especially, the 3rd pairing has been garbage all year, as to what it could've been if Fabbro would've been there for this year.
Subban turned out to be more of a special case than some of us realized, unfortunately. It seems like the team had inside knowledge that he truly was done/hurt and couldn't perform at his old level anymore, so that kind of erases any strategic evaluation of that trade. "Get rid of Subban before it's too late, period" is about as much of a takeaway as hindsight can allow now. That we got some decent futures and enough cap space to sign Duchene is awesome. But I don't know anymore if we can look at it as anything with a design intent on changing up the gameplan.

But anyway, our defense is indeed now too soft and porous. Some of it is coaching and systematic, but they're not going to be a physical group even if the system play was improved. It was already a bit of a problem before trading Subban. A broken Subban wasn't going to help us much in that area either, alas. But now the shortcoming is all the more evident.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Here's why Lavi has a sell by date. His system requires all in commitment. That's going to bring injuries. At first it's okay I'll go ball's out for the team, next man up rah rah. Then throw in the fact that the refs don't respect us. No one stands up for each other. And when you have to make your life's nest egg by the time you're in your early 30s. You tune out everything that is going to shorten your career until it's worth it. Playoffs. Look at who we're bitching about Joey, Forsberg, Turiss. Rinne needs to get his prescription updated on his contacts

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Have a feeling he might get canned if the drop the WC.

One thing that would make me hesitant about firing him is that after he's been fired from his previous teams, those teams have started to struggle big time even to get into the playoffs let alone contend for the Cup. Now, it might not happen here for sure, but that's a thing worth considering.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Have a feeling he might get canned if the drop the WC.

One thing that would make me hesitant about firing him is that after he's been fired from his previous teams, those teams have started to struggle big time even to get into the playoffs let alone contend for the Cup. Now, it might not happen here for sure, but that's a thing worth considering.
Carolina missed the playoffs the previous two years under Laviolette also, however. So it's not like they suddenly turned into garbage just because they fired him. In fact, Maurice replacing him was their only positive, minor cinderella run to the semis after replacing Lavy, sandwiched between a pair of playoff misses on either end under each coach.

And Philly also missed the playoffs the season before Lavy was let go. And subsequently made it the season he was canned under Berube.

So I'm not sure there is any basis here for thinking that Lavy was somehow propping up his teams? They both actually improved immediately after removing him, no? :dunno:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Carolina missed the playoffs the previous two years under Laviolette also, however. So it's not like they suddenly turned into garbage just because they fired him. In fact, Maurice replacing him was their only positive, minor cinderella run to the semis after replacing Lavy, sandwiched between a pair of playoff misses on either end under each coach.

And Philly also missed the playoffs the season before Lavy was let go. And subsequently made it the season he was canned under Berube.

So I'm not sure there is any basis here for thinking that Lavy was somehow propping up his teams? They both actually improved immediately after removing him, no? :dunno:

Damn, forgot to fact-check before posting :huh:. I thought I read something like that.

Thanks for setting me straight.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I honestly believe Lavi's system kills forwards offense. I don't know how else you get guys like RyJo, Duchene and even Turris and have their offensive numbers shrivel up.

It feels like a long time ago at this point so maybe my memory is failing me. Didn’t we say the same thing about Trotz? Dump and chase kills offense yada yada.

Reactions: bdub24

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
It feels like a long time ago at this point so maybe my memory is failing me. Didn’t we say the same thing about Trotz? Dump and chase kills offense yada yada.

We did but I think the reasons are different. Trotz system was contain and control. Lavi's system puts more defensive responsibility on the forwards and less on the d men.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I recall reading that our ES stats are pretty good. Are they still? I mean if it works on even strength, why adjust there, who cares if it's forwards or defensemen as long as we score. Adjust where we suck and that's special teams. Run the PP through forwards. Joey on PP1 and Granlund on PP2. Josi and Ellis aren't bad shooters, but it's like they don't know any other PP tactics than shooting from the blue line until they score or the PP ends.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Not that one game vs the stars should be a deciding factor, but I’ll take anything that will grow Poile a pair and do the obvious.

We are the Dallas cowboys of the NHL

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Not that one game vs the stars should be a deciding factor, but I’ll take anything that will grow Poile a pair and do the obvious.

We are the Dallas cowboys of the NHL

Um no. The Cowboys have multiple Super Bowl wins. We are the pretty much exactly the Tennessee Titans of the NHL. One lucky/improbable run to the finals that resulted in a frustratingly close loss and then pretty much a marginal playoff team the rest of the time

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
at this point being a marginal playoff team is a high goal.

now there are 2 reasons to wear this cap.

upload_2020-1-1_17-27-55.png

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Um no. The Cowboys have multiple Super Bowl wins. We are the pretty much exactly the Tennessee Titans of the NHL. One lucky/improbable run to the finals that resulted in a frustratingly close loss and then pretty much a marginal playoff team the rest of the time
Those cowboy wins were before the predators even existed.

I’m primarily talking about this year. A team with a lot of talent obviously playing well below their ability, yet the GM refuses a coaching change and the team just putzes along, likely not even making the playoffs.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The timeout and the stern talking to backfired like a awful nightmare. The PK is just plain putrid and the PP reverts to last year's "lots of zone time" form way too much. It's embarrassing.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad