Confirmed with Link: Larsen and Legace relieved of duties

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Watching Jarmo.. it’s pretty clear that Guds interview after the Buffalo game in Dec was telling . Culture and work ethic seem to be why we replaced Larsen . Feel bad for Larsen .. following and being aside Torts so long, watching him be dogged in his demanding approach, most likely had Larsen over correct the other way .

Can we elaborate on this “over correct” or anybody answer how people think Larsen was capable of working under Torts and a successful winning team, playing a completely different way much of the time, for so long??

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Jarmo did have a tense back and forth with Portzline regarding firing coaches.

Portzline asked, basically, GM's only get so many tries at hiring and firing coaches and now you've fired three. Does that make this next hire even more important?

Jarmo quickly snarled back at him and said "How do you count three?" which Porty replied with "Richards, Tortorella, and now Larsen."

"Tortorella was not fired. We mutually agreed. He was not fired."

Just thought this was important to post because this sometimes gets brought up.

This shit doesn’t get brought up nearly enough.

What happened with Torts was WORSE than just firing him. People had an acceptable defense of it and it could be brushed off if he actually retired or took a decent amount of time off.

He came RIGHT BACK to coach. Why did he not want to coach the Columbus Blue Jackets any more?? Does nobody else see a clear red flag and/or something to follow up on??

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

What happened with Torts was WORSE than just firing him. People had an acceptable defense of it and it could be brushed off if he actually retired or took a decent amount of time off.

He came RIGHT BACK to coach. Why did he not want to coach the Columbus Blue Jackets any more?? Does nobody else see a clear red flag and/or something to follow up on??
The team changed considerably and guys used to FA status to leave? He tried to create a culture and then guys left so I dont think he wanted to go through it again which ironically hes had to do in Philly but its probably much worse there. The part im not a fan of is he clearly wanted to be fired so he would still get paid but Jarmo made him coach if he wanted to earn his contract. I absolutely believe Torts mailed it in that last year just like he did in Vancouver

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It truly was a mutual part ways situation that time so it makes sense he was firm on that. Tortorella wanted to leave the season before, then Torts gave it one more shot and after a season Jarmo and him agreed.

Why do you think Torts wants to coach the Philadelphia Flyers and not the Columbus Blue Jackets??

Question goes out to everybody.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

You forgot some things. Even before the last Torts season it was known that there was going to be a rebuild. Jarmo has wanted hockey based on carry the puck, combinations. Torts has another style. Also that Jones and Dubois weren't planning on playing on the team. Torts is coaching Philly, which while also building a new team, they have more resources and more importantly a better chance of getting better quality players. I don't think Jarmo is a problem. Or do you think he would want to catch Arizona, Ottawa, Buffalo and similar teams too?

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
First you called Larsen a scapegoat and now you're saying he was passive and ineffective. While both can be true, are you FOR or AGAINST the firing?
“Passive” and “ineffective” only just recently with the current group of players. Larsen was either pressured or asked to coach a certain way. Consciously or subconsciously.

I’m against this firing and the OBVIOUS PUSHING OUT of Tortorella.

The ROSTER is absolute shit. With or without Bedard.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Why do you think Torts wants to coach the Philadelphia Flyers and not the Columbus Blue Jackets??

Hard to say and can only speculate, but my belief is that Jarmo’s roster direction was not going to be conducive to Torts preferred style. They couldn’t agree, Torts feeling his input diminished, leading to Torts saying “I’m done”. That’s my take.

Reactions: thebus88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Do you think he regrets it now that it looks like a rebuild vs competing? He seems like he went there based on Philly's history and rebuilding the old Flyers brand but it was a pretty disasterous year with some players he clearly doesnt enjoy

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Hard to say and can only speculate, but my belief is that Jarmo’s roster direction was not going to be conducive to Torts preferred style. They couldn’t agree, Torts feeling his input diminished, leading to Torts saying “I’m done”. That’s my take.
The Columbus Blue Jackets would be better off with John Tortorella as their GM.

That’s my take.

• Haha
Reactions: GoJackets1

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Vincent may be the guy, but the optics would look risky , almost lazy .. they stayed within with Lars after Torts.. doing the same with Vincent … of course if this next coach doesn’t pan out , Jarmo will be canned , maybe Jd…
No interest for this reason.. it's lazy and honestly I think an entire new staff could do this team some good. I feel like Vincent will be too similar to the Larsen experience.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Those talking about the torts situation, I think he just knew it was time to move on. NHL coaches. Don't seem to last as long compared too coaches in other leagues. Only three coaches in the NHL currently have been in the job longer than 5 years. Torts has a good run here and decided to go out on his terms for once. This is the only job he wasn't fired from

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Do you think he regrets it now that it looks like a rebuild vs competing? He seems like he went there based on Philly's history and rebuilding the old Flyers brand but it was a pretty disasterous year with some players he clearly doesnt enjoy
I’m pretty fascinated by the whole situation to be honest. I don’t think he “regrets” anything, or is surprised by the team he inherited in Philly in any way.

I think if anything, that makes me question things MORE SO, from a CBJ/CBJ fan perspective, as I don’t think the “prestige” of the organization really matters to him much, and it is a very similar situation that both organizations are going through when it comes to being ready to win games.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The Columbus Blue Jackets would be better off with John Tortorella as their GM.

That’s my take.
Maybe…..But Torts strikes me as a guy who’d be bored to death in a GM role. He seems too much a hands on, action-oriented front line guy.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Maybe…..But Torts strikes me as a guy who’d be bored to death in a GM role. He seems too much a hands on, action-oriented front line guy.
Shit, I’d rather him be both GM and coach than the route I’m afraid Jarmo will go, announcing a “Reg Dunlop” role for Laine during the summer.

Reactions: LoveCBJ

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Discussing a certain old coach and bringing up past grievances is a failure in every thread. That ex-coach had a shelf life that had expired and it was time to move on. Everyone knew it.......mostly him.

Saying that if Larsen would have used some of the tools he learned from the previous coach and combined them with his own coaching style it could have worked. It appears he didn't learn much or maybe he thought he needed to be different but this is why it came to todays necessary decision. Larsen wasn't given a good roster but he still could have displayed that he was a good coach and that despite the team he still had control of the locker room. Apparently that was not the case.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
“Passive” and “ineffective” only just recently with the current group of players. Larsen was either pressured or asked to coach a certain way. Consciously or subconsciously.

How many times did we hear the Larsen was the buffer between the players and coaches? He was by all definitions an easy to like guy. Someone people had trust in. A friendly dude. A lot like Todd Richards. A friend.

That’s just who he is. He wasn’t told to be that way. At his opening press conference be made it known that he was going to give players a lot of rope. Thats what he is.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Hated Larsen for the first moment he was headcoach. It was way too long road together and the road was free fall of the cliff.. Now lets try some coach who has won something and have some new to bring in.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You and I completely agree that the roster as constructed is complete crap. But I would like to see you a bit more vocal about the individual(s) responsible for this roster. You like to put a lot of blame on the players but unless I'm mistaken you've been mostly silent on this subject.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Yeah, if only we had a veteran coach that valued hard work during the off-season, practice and games.

Oh, that’s right, the last coach we had that was like that didn’t want to coach the players the organization decided to acquire and build around, because they couldn’t handle his coaching style.

Then they hired a guy that worked directly under him for years, that these same “players” previously pushed back against, and people are surprised why he coached in such a “passive” and “ineffective” way, after being SUCCESSFUL just a few years ago with the other SCAPEGOATED CBJ coach.
Torts is like a gallon of milk .. and I think you know where I’m going with that

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

My guy … every bit of news doesn’t have to turn into .. look at me, I was right …Torts did some good things , yet it was certainly time for him to go ..

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad