Confirmed with Link: Larsen and Legace relieved of duties

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Larsen is one thing but the real W here is Legace gone. Never made sense, never had any pedigree other than being a good goalie.

Here's to hoping Elvis makes a comeback.

Reactions: I3LI3

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Here's the link to the hour long Spaces they held today with Bobby Mac, Rimer, Svoboda, and Tyrer.

Here's some important things that stuck out to me in this conversation:

Someone mentioned it before but they were really piling in on Larsen at the start of the show. Going in about their practice habits and saying there wasn't enough urgency and they weren't working hard enough essentially. Said the training camp was very easy in comparison to the year prior. That it seemed like Larsen tried to put more into rest and recovery rather than hard days on the practice ice in both camp and during the season.

Rimer talked about how he thought that Larsen was too close with some of the players on the team and wasn't hard enough on them. That some at the top of the organization thought he needed to hold more people accountable. He wouldn't name and names as far as players, but I think I know who at least one of these guys are (Laine). Rimer also said it was an issue with Legace and how close he was with Elvis.

They all agreed that the next coach needed to be a hard ass coach and a veteran. Rimer was really spit balling with Joel Quenneville while the others were kinda backing Andrew Brunette. As KJDangler mentioned in the coaching search thread, Rimer threw the possibility that Gallant gets fired if the Rangers have a quit playoff exit (I very much doubt he would get fired) and that he would be interested in returning.

But yeah, judging from these guys it seems like Larsen rested on his laurels a bit from his first year and tried to take it easy on the players. Some of which took advantage of that. And ultimately that is what ended up costing him his job.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Here's the link to the hour long Spaces they held today with Bobby Mac, Rimer, Svoboda, and Tyrer.

Someone mentioned it before but they were really piling in on Larsen at the start of the show. Going in about their practice habits and saying there wasn't enough urgency and they weren't working hard enough essentially. Said the training camp was very easy in comparison to the year prior. That it seemed like Larsen tried to put more into rest and recovery rather than hard days on the practice ice in both camp and during the season.

Rimer talked about how he thought that Larsen was too close with some of the players on the team and wasn't hard enough on them. That some at the top of the organization thought he needed to hold more people accountable. He wouldn't name and names as far as players, but I think I know who at least one of these guys are (Laine). Rimer also said it was an issue with Legace and how close he was with Elvis.

They all agreed that the next coach needed to be a hard ass coach and a veteran. Rimer was really spit balling with Joel Quenneville while the others were kinda backing Andrew Brunette. As KJDangler mentioned in the coaching search thread, Rimer threw the possibility that Gallant gets fired if the Rangers have a quit playoff exit (I very much doubt he would get fired) and that he would be interested in returning.

But yeah, judging from these guys it seems like Larsen rested on his laurels a bit from his first year and tried to take it easy on the players. Some of which took advantage of that. And ultimately that is what ended up costing him his job.

I guess you don’t rat out your guy but all this is happening and no one is peeping about it at all? Makes me skeptical about this discussion.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That Florida team won the President's Trophy. It sounds like you are describing the CBJ except we finished in 31st.

They allowed 246 goals, We allowed 330.

They got running with like 8-0 start under Q for that season and Brunette got to enjoy the ride.

I watched about every Florida game last year and they never player hockey that was going to work in the playoffs, it was all offense regular season hockey.
Said that same thing during their regular season, if they don’t tighten up it’s a short run

With an insanely deep F line

Verhaeghe- Barkov - Duclair, later Giroux
Huberdeau- Bennett- Duclair/Tippett
Marchment- Lundell- Reinhart

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

During the Finland trip about the entire Finnish media called him out with how amateurish they looked and it was like watching AHL team go up against an NHL team( Colorado)

They were incredible badly prepared and nobody could see what their thing was

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
"They all agreed that the next coach needed to be a hard ass coach and a veteran."

This comment cracks me up. They literally had that and instead of going out and finding players that fit within a current system, one that had 4 straight playoff appearances, it was decided to try and fit different style players in and hope it works. Maybe after a couple seasons we can try hiring from within and get a softer coach because the hard ass coach was too tough on the players. LOL

Reactions: thebus88

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
"They all agreed that the next coach needed to be a hard ass coach and a veteran."

This comment cracks me up. They literally had that and instead of going out and finding players that fit within a current system, one that had 4 straight playoff appearances, it was decided to try and fit different style players in and hope it works. Maybe after a couple seasons we can try hiring from within and get a softer coach because the hard ass coach was too tough on the players. LOL
Again, it was a mutual decision for Torts to leave the org. It wasn't a firing. They can't force Tortorella to re-up when his contract expired.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Ok damn, didn't see this coming tbh. I was sure they'd ride Larsen on a short leash into the new season. But most fans should be happy now and seem to be happy. That's good I guess.

Legace gone was needed to see if it can spark Elvis back.

Another interesting and eventful offseason ahead.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

It's all about systems too. You can be a hard ass veteran and still run a system and scheme that's different that Jarmo wants the team to run. It takes far too long to try and form a team around a coach, you have to find the right coach to use the guys within the system already. It seemed Jarmo and Torts had a differing opinions on the scheme and player types.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
It's all about systems too. You can be a hard ass veteran and still run a system and scheme that's different that Jarmo wants the team to run. It takes far too long to try and form a team around a coach, you have to find the right coach to use the guys within the system already. It seemed Jarmo and Torts had a differing opinions on the scheme and player types.
They had some guys. One of them, Josh Anderson, Torts was real high on, also had arguably his best season under him, was pretty much run off by Jarmo. Torts scheme and player types yielded playoff appearances and teams that were tough to play against, and so far Jarmo's schemes and player types have been pretty soft. They can score, but can't stop the other team from scoring more. We'll see how it plays out, but 2 years in, we are already changing coaches.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
They had some guys. One of them, Josh Anderson, Torts was real high on, also had arguably his best season under him, was pretty much run off by Jarmo. Torts scheme and player types yielded playoff appearances and teams that were tough to play against, and so far Jarmo's schemes and player types have been pretty soft. They can score, but can't stop the other team from scoring more. We'll see how it plays out, but 2 years in, we are already changing coaches.
Year one was the start of the rebuild and majority of the guys that Jarmo wants to build around weren't even on the team, and this season was obviously derailed by injuries and was the first year for a lot of the guys to get serious play time.

Jarmos scheme is based on the defense generating everything and we literally had the AHL roster for majority of the season, combined with inconsistent goaltending, it was never going to work. Next season the backend could operate entirely different.

Also if you look back to the Larsen hired threads you'll see that A LOT of us were suggesting it's likely that Larsen would be the interlude coach until the team was ready and then someone else would be hired to takeover post retool.. which seems to be exactly where we are. Most of our pieces are already here and this seems to be the last off-season that they want to even talk about the retool. It's time to seeing what we have and what pieces we need to do make it all work.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Larsen was elevated from his assistant’s role only two seasons ago to replace John Tortorella, whose contract expired after the 2020-21 season. The Blue Jackets were 62-86-16 in Larsen’s two seasons, a .427 point percentage.

Initially, the Blue Jackets seemed to thrive in a post-Tortorella world. Larsen, a former player and more of a players’ coach, guided the Blue Jackets to a 37-38-7 record in 2021-22, which was expected to be a rebuilding year for the organization.

Eventually, though, Tortorella’s firm approach and high demand for accountability were missed. Several players on Saturday mentioned how “little things” were allowed to slide over the last couple of seasons, and how badly a winning standard needs to be recaptured.

It doesn’t have to be in the unrelenting Tortorella style. But the Blue Jackets’ need for a new level of accountability was obvious this season, especially when season-long injuries took some of the club’s veteran players out of the lineup.

“I don’t want to say the culture wasn’t good at all, because it was, and we have a close group in there,” Blue Jackets defenseman Zach Werenskisaid. “But just in terms of the standard. We have to set the standard higher, and we have to let the young guys know that this isn’t acceptable.

“We know it’s not acceptable. We’ve been on winning teams. We have to get our standard back, and it starts with (the veteran players).”

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Someone make it make sense……

Reactions: Monstershockey

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Someone make it make sense……
Okay I will

1. Torts is a hard ass coach, but he doesn’t have a patent on it. He’s not the only one who holds people accountable.

2. When torts left they thought Larsen would be able to hold the standards Torts brought (since he was up close to see it all) without being such a hard ass because it might have gone stale in the room. Obviously, that didn’t happen. The culture needs to go back to a stricter guy who can get the room back on track.

3. The next coach will not be Tortorella but he will bring more accountability back that Larsen let go.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Okay I will

1. Torts is a hard ass coach, but he doesn’t have a patent on it. He’s not the only one who holds people accountable.

2. When torts left they thought Larsen would be able to hold the standards Torts brought (since he was up close to see it all) without being such a hard ass because it might have gone stale in the room. Obviously, that didn’t happen. The culture needs to go back to a stricter guy who can get the room back on track.

3. The next coach will not be Tortorella but he will bring more accountability back that Larsen let go.
1. That all is true. Totally agree.

2. Maybe some of that, but, in my opinion, Larson was hired because it was an easy one, didn't have to look to hard to find him, and by giving him his first chance I believe Jarmo felt he could control some of the decisions that were made that a veteran coach wouldn't be on board with. He wanted some control over his guys he brought in. This may be why it took so long to send Sillinger down. For all we know, Larson may have wanted to, but the choice ultimately wasn't his.

3 Why would we even want Tortorella back? Like you said, there are other guys that can coach tough and hold guys accountable. Plus, I am not one for bringing people back, whether it be coaches or players, or GMs either. I wouldn't have brought back JD, he had his shot.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I’ll jump in here. I’m FOR the firing. I just think a GM and another assistant coach should have been with him. And maybe a President?

This shit doesn’t get brought up nearly enough.

What happened with Torts was WORSE than just firing him. People had an acceptable defense of it and it could be brushed off if he actually retired or took a decent amount of time off.

He came RIGHT BACK to coach. Why did he not want to coach the Columbus Blue Jackets any more?? Does nobody else see a clear red flag and/or something to follow up on??
And if you MUTUALLY agree, isn’t that really a distinction without a difference?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Time for Jalonen

I don't believe he has much chance at landing the job, while he still seems like a potentially good fit and signing him could be one of those things that end up changing the league as far as coaching goes, CBJ are no longer in the position they were two seasons ago, they can't afford to gamble on their next coach. I don't think the odds for Jalonen succeeding are that low, but even then he's completely unproven in the NHL and all his greatest successes have come with Team Finland, which is a very different gig than coaching an NHL team for 82 games.

I can imagine the press conference where Jarmo talks about how they looked at options and believe Jalonen was the best coach available and how they are in the league to compete for and win the Stanley Cup and to win it all you can't just always make the safe choice with the familiar name etc. etc. Still, I think the chances of actually seeing that press conference are very very slim :)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
They got running with like 8-0 start under Q for that season and Brunette got to enjoy the ride.

I watched about every Florida game last year and they never player hockey that was going to work in the playoffs, it was all offense regular season hockey.
Said that same thing during their regular season, if they don’t tighten up it’s a short run

With an insanely deep F line

Verhaeghe- Barkov - Duclair, later Giroux
Huberdeau- Bennett- Duclair/Tippett
Marchment- Lundell- Reinhart
Same thing is Toronto’s problem every year. I’d still kill to be in their position on those years. It’s more fun than being an 8 seed that gets in at the last week of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad