Confirmed with Link: Larsen and Legace relieved of duties

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think it is enough unfair. There are too much injuries and I doubt even more an experienced coach can do it something better. I don't mean only result, but tactic too.

Reactions: thebus88

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Right on cue.

In a year when we finish close to last, and Laviolette, Hextall, Burke, and others have been fired, and Jonathan Toews isn't being re-signed, for Larsen not to be fired would have been just... weird.

And our goaltending... just... ugggh. :facepalm:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Larson never had a chance. I still think they should have ate the last year of Tort's deal and maybe they would have hired someone different. It is a shame that the injuries this year did him in. Wonder how different it would have been had everyone stayed healthy.
As far as Legace goes, thought he was a good coach, it showed as Korpisalo had a solid year coming off injury and a couple of tough seasons. Elvis needs to straighten out his head, and maybe check his ego a bit, and figure out how to be a decent goalie. In my opinion this was more separating them over what happened to Kivlenieks than the job he was doing.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I wonder if how he managed the Pittsburgh game was the final coffin nail.

Seems like a good guy. Wish him and his fam well.

Gotta think they go with experience this time around. First name that pops in my mind is Quenneville even with the baggage.
Quenneville won't be and you know why. I prefer Vincent.

Reactions: LJ7

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I wouldn’t be surprised (wouldn’t be said publicly) but the Pittsburgh game sealed his fate (line-up and playing time). I think he might have gotten a short leash going into next season but there was a lot of flack from the Pittsburgh game.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah, that is what this says to me: no more screwing around. Time to get serious about winning.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I wouldn’t be surprised (wouldn’t be said publicly) but the Pittsburgh game sealed his fate (line-up and playing time). I think he might have gotten a short leash going into next season but there was a lot of flack from the Pittsburgh game.
I don't think that game had anything to do with it. We were in this position for more reasons than injuries and when you may get a potential franchise player in the draft to go along with the other talent we have, you don't start a season with a guy on a short leash. That becomes just another wasted year.

Jarmo MUST get this selection right along with the remaining staff positions and he MUST also improve the D.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Ready right now
  • Andrew Brunette, New Jersey Devils assistant coach. ...
  • Spencer Carbery, Toronto Maple Leafs assistant coach. ...
  • Jay Leach, Seattle Kraken assistant coach. ...
  • Marco Sturm, AHL Ontario Reign head coach. ...
  • Ryan Warsofsky, San Jose Sharks assistant coach. ...
  • Pascal Vincent, Columbus Blue Jackets associate coach.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Sorry Brad hope it all works out for you in the end
Ready right now
  • Andrew Brunette, New Jersey Devils assistant coach. ...
  • Spencer Carbery, Toronto Maple Leafs assistant coach. ...
  • Jay Leach, Seattle Kraken assistant coach. ...
  • Marco Sturm, AHL Ontario Reign head coach. ...
  • Ryan Warsofsky, San Jose Sharks assistant coach. ...
  • Pascal Vincent, Columbus Blue Jackets associate coach.

You people to get better defensively? Rand Pecknold is the guy.

Reactions: cslebn

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Firstly, Brad seems like a damn good man. He's went through a lot in his life off ice and I commend him for his path to being in the NHL. He was loyal to the organization and he was rewarded for it, and I think he did a damn good job for a lot of it especially when he was coaching in Springfield. He handled the Matiss situation with our players with absolute class, and that was his first days on the job basically. A lot of what happened this year was not on him, as others have said this team was destined to fail with that defense and the injuries that we had.

That being said, this was the right decision. He was in over his head from the jump, and a lot of the players he was in charge of developing took significant steps back. Especially Elvis, Sillinger, Peeke, and you can even argue Laine as well. You can tell management got in his ear about playing Johnny 20+ minutes against Pittsburgh, because his whole attitude changed after that and he was then among the least amount played against Buffalo. The Pittsburgh game sealed his fate. Which I think is totally fair. When he was hired some of us said that he was going to be the bridge coach, when we start winning he won't be the guy to do it. Our version of David Quinn. Looks like that's the case.

The next coach will be given the task of developing the kids the right way. We need more structure to our game. We need to defend better. We need to give Elvis a chance.

That being said again, I am 100% expecting Pascal Vincent to get the job. I think they need to go out and get a veteran, but I remember Emily Kaplan posting an article saying he would be the top candidate if we made a change. So, that's what I am expecting to happen.

As for veteran options, hard NO on Quinneville. The one that might surface as a splash move would be Mike Babcock, which is also a hard no from me too.

Manny Legace was also a good man who had good times here. But this one was very much deserved.

I didn’t watch his post-game last night but some said it was emotional. Do we think he knew? Anyone?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm all for Brunette when you see how Florida played last year and how the Devils have changed since he came there as an assistant this year. I have no idea why Florida didn't keep him and his whole golf cart DUI thing this year is a bad look but shouldn't be a disqualifier.

He seems great at working with young players. NJ was filled with them and we aren't that far behind depending on who we get in the coming draft. He'll certainly be a guy considered for several jobs. I'd love to see the Devils win the cup this year before he leaves. Unlikely but they can be a contender.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Congrats Jackets fans. Never understood why hiring a rookie HC was a good idea to lead a very young team- a baffling blunder by Kekalainen. Good luck with the Bedard sweepstakes, hopefully you get him.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Firstly, Brad seems like a damn good man. He's went through a lot in his life off ice and I commend him for his path to being in the NHL. He was loyal to the organization and he was rewarded for it, and I think he did a damn good job for a lot of it especially when he was coaching in Springfield. He handled the Matiss situation with our players with absolute class, and that was his first days on the job basically. A lot of what happened this year was not on him, as others have said this team was destined to fail with that defense and the injuries that we had.

That being said, this was the right decision. He was in over his head from the jump, and a lot of the players he was in charge of developing took significant steps back. Especially Elvis, Sillinger, Peeke, and you can even argue Laine as well. You can tell management got in his ear about playing Johnny 20+ minutes against Pittsburgh, because his whole attitude changed after that and he was then among the least amount played against Buffalo. The Pittsburgh game sealed his fate. Which I think is totally fair. When he was hired some of us said that he was going to be the bridge coach, when we start winning he won't be the guy to do it. Our version of David Quinn. Looks like that's the case.

The next coach will be given the task of developing the kids the right way. We need more structure to our game. We need to defend better. We need to give Elvis a chance.

That being said again, I am 100% expecting Pascal Vincent to get the job. I think they need to go out and get a veteran, but I remember Emily Kaplan posting an article saying he would be the top candidate if we made a change. So, that's what I am expecting to happen.

As for veteran options, hard NO on Quinneville. The one that might surface as a splash move would be Mike Babcock, which is also a hard no from me too.

Manny Legace was also a good man who had good times here. But this one was very much deserved.

Vincent may be the guy, but the optics would look risky , almost lazy .. they stayed within with Lars after Torts.. doing the same with Vincent … of course if this next coach doesn’t pan out , Jarmo will be canned , maybe Jd…

Reactions: GoJackets1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad