Jan 19, 2015
Had to be done, no other choise.

The next one has to be a vet coach.

The roster is ready for phase 2 and you can’t take a rookie coach for it

Reactions: CBJx614

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Knew it needed to happen when we spent the first third of the season unable to even tell people what our defensive scheme was supposed to be. Nice guy but we need someone with a plan for next season; hopefully squared away soon so they can let the players know expectations for the summer.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm all for Brunette when you see how Florida played last year and how the Devils have changed since he came there as an assistant this year. I have no idea why Florida didn't keep him and his whole golf cart DUI thing this year is a bad look but shouldn't be a disqualifier.

He seems great at working with young players. NJ was filled with them and we aren't that far behind depending on who we get in the coming draft. He'll certainly be a guy considered for several jobs. I'd love to see the Devils win the cup this year before he leaves. Unlikely but they can be a contender.

That Florida roster played zero defense.

Lot of 6-5 games and lot of huge comebacks.

Also that Florida roster was insanely deep, they had a ppg player on their 3rd line

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Larson never had a chance. I still think they should have ate the last year of Tort's deal and maybe they would have hired someone different. It is a shame that the injuries this year did him in. Wonder how different it would have been had everyone stayed healthy.
As far as Legace goes, thought he was a good coach, it showed as Korpisalo had a solid year coming off injury and a couple of tough seasons. Elvis needs to straighten out his head, and maybe check his ego a bit, and figure out how to be a decent goalie. In my opinion this was more separating them over what happened to Kivlenieks than the job he was doing.

The relationship between Korpisalo, Legace and Kivlenieks, and his play recently, is always conveniently left out regarding Elvis’ play this past year.

Korpisalo played with him going back to 2017-18, and I’m guessing while not being “best friends”, also spent a significant amount of time with him the last handful of years.

Legace didn’t make Elvis a worse goalie and it was impossible to make him a “better” goalie.

Larsen was always set up to fail, with a team full of players who can’t play the right way, and 1 of his highest paid “superstar” players openly disrespecting him on the bench a year prior.

Reactions: Monstershockey

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The relationship between Korpisalo, Legace and Kivlenieks, and his play recently, is always conveniently left out regarding Elvis’ play this past year.

Korpisalo played with him going back to 2017-18, and I’m guessing while not being “best friends”, also spent a significant amount of time with him the last handful of years.

Legace didn’t make Elvis a worse goalie and it was impossible to make him a “better” goalie.

Larsen was always set up to fail, with a team full of players who can’t play the right way, and 1 of his highest paid “superstar” players openly disrespecting him on the bench a year prior.
What happened under Torts isn't important. He respected him as a head coach.
Elvis, and not only him, needs psychologist.
But what is very important, staff must establish the reasons for the injuries.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Mixed feelings about Larsen. Loved him as a person, and unfortunately he had a pretty impossible job this year. I do think the play started to improve in 2023.

Still overall the PP and defensive structure were among the absolute worst in the league, and it cant take half a season to see any improvements.

Probably the right call as long as the replacement isnt a proper dinosaur

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I wasn't a supporter of the Larsen hiring. I don't think he's a bad coach or a bad dude, but I wanted a fresh approach and a young, upcoming coach. I decided to believe that Larsen could have been that guy. I think it's hard to determine whether he was or wasn't, with some evidence to support either.

I know Vincent is well-thought-of. I know he might be a candidate for a HC job anywhere. But I don't know as I'd support elevating him in this situation. Again, I think I'd prefer a fresh voice. I tend to agree that a retread NHL coach might be best right now.

Reactions: Forepar

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Just listened to Jarmo’s Q&A session. While I didn’t expect him to divulge much, he was able to deliver even less than that. It’s like he had three answer options to choose from and selected one of the three for each question. Of course he did so with his usual “charismatic flair.” :sarcasm:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Watching Jarmo.. it’s pretty clear that Guds interview after the Buffalo game in Dec was telling . Culture and work ethic seem to be why we replaced Larsen . Key things that stood out , Brad, and Manny were let go.. they like Vincent, and McCarthy .. he talked about both goalies and their preparation.. seemed to insinuate that left a lot to be desired … Do they buy Elvis out ? Team will look much different next year … Felt Tarasov has talent to be #1, but maintaining his body, and preparation seemed to be questioned. Discussing Elvis, he seemed irritated.. guessing the rumors of practice issues were true … Feel bad for Larsen .. following and being aside Torts so long, watching him be dogged in his demanding approach, most likely had Larsen over correct the other way .

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think right now I'm leaning towards Brunette but I'm open to different coaches.

I wonder if getting Bedard would persuade any coaches who might not have been interested before?

Reactions: DEF and LJ7

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Watching Jarmo.. it’s pretty clear that Guds interview after the Buffalo game in Dec was telling . Culture and work ethic seem to be why we replaced Larsen . Key things that stood out , Brad, and Manny were let go.. they like Vincent, and McCarthy .. he talked about both goalies and their preparation.. seemed to insinuate that left a lot to be desired … Do they buy Elvis out ?
No. I think firing Legace is an attempt to clear away the past and jump start Elvis's career.

Reactions: Fred Glover and LJ7

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I know they might like the rest of the coaching staff but its slighty weird if they hire a new coach and have the assistants in place already. Unless its just a good faith thing to Vincent until a head coach is hired

Reactions: EspenK

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Jarmo did have a tense back and forth with Portzline regarding firing coaches.

Portzline asked, basically, GM's only get so many tries at hiring and firing coaches and now you've fired three. Does that make this next hire even more important?

Jarmo quickly snarled back at him and said "How do you count three?" which Porty replied with "Richards, Tortorella, and now Larsen."

"Tortorella was not fired. We mutually agreed. He was not fired."

Just thought this was important to post because this sometimes gets brought up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad