Confirmed with Link: Larsen and Legace relieved of duties

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Wow. They actually did it.

Don't like to see anyone lose their job but this is sports and it's part of the business. He knows it, we know it, everyone knows it. With that said, good luck to him.

I wonder if this was the plan or when they realized someone became just became available (Laviolette) they made the decision.

Also interesting, 3 teams from the Metro changing things up already.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I wonder if this was the plan or when they realized someone became just became available (Laviolette) they made the decision.
Please G-d no. If folks here thought Lars or Torts were incapable of tactical adjustment y'all will hate Lavi; the guy has only one tactic and it's not a very good one. (Shoot All The Pucks All The Time, and coach players about responding to the chaos this creates).

* * *​
Would Torts him in Philly?
Stranger things have happened. :dunno:

Reactions: MoeBartoli

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I’ll trust there’s much more into the decision ... maybe there was something to the practices mentioned .. but I feel like guys played hard all season, and it definitely wasn’t based off results this year .. Do they look at Nate Leahman ? Is Vincent elevated ?

I didn’t watch his post-game last night but some said it was emotional. Do we think he knew? Anyone?
Definitely knew .. talked about what a privilege being a part of the nhl was

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think the Legace move absolutely had to happen. Elvis has been a mess. Whether just because Manny’s not a great coach or he reminds Elvis of the Kivi incident since it was at his house or it’s not Manny’s fault at all, a change was needed there (and if it’s the last of those three, Elvis will be gone after next year. But at least you can more fully determine).

I thought they’d go into next year with Larsen and if it was a bad start let him go. I’m pretty surprised to be honest.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I wonder if how he managed the Pittsburgh game was the final coffin nail.

Seems like a good guy. Wish him and his fam well.

Gotta think they go with experience this time around. First name that pops in my mind is Quenneville even with the baggage.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
In reality, Larsen and Legace seem like good men and quality people. They just sometimes made incorrect decisions. They needed to move on.

With the money we have invested in Elvis, they needed to try a different coach. The Kivi thing combined with the comfort level between Manny and Elvis had gotten stale. Larsen just had lots of WTF moments in coaching decisions.

If Pascal Vincent becomes the guy then so be it. I hope whoever gets it deserves it. I do still think we need to make defensive coach changes and take a look at the training staff with the injuries. Yes several injuries were flukes but if I hear lower body injury on a goaltender 1 more time I might lose it.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I appreciate him for maintaining player morale right up to the bitter end, and I hope he lands on his feet.
Yeah, it’s the sad nature of sports. Obviously, no one thinks the results were even close to good enough, but he seems like a good guy (unlike, it came across at least, Arniel, for example).

In reality, Larsen and Legace seem like good men and quality people. They just sometimes made incorrect decisions. They needed to move on.

With the money we have invested in Elvis, they needed to try a different coach. The Kivi thing combined with the comfort level between Manny and Elvis had gotten stale. Larsen just had lots of WTF moments in coaching decisions.

If Pascal Vincent becomes the guy then so be it. I hope whoever gets it deserves it. I do still think we need to make defensive coach changes and take a look at the training staff with the injuries. Yes several injuries were flukes but if I hear lower body injury on a goaltender 1 more time I might lose it.
Agree nearly completely with the first two paragraphs.

I don’t know why they would (and don’t think they will) go with Vincent after the Larsen experiment. Seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Nearly certain they’re going after a proven (to at least some degree), experienced NHL coach.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I’m personally hoping for Keefe after another first round exit, but I could also easily be talked out of that.

Maybe it’s time to give Arniel another shot. :sarcasm:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I think the Legace move absolutely had to happen. Elvis has been a mess. Whether just because Manny’s not a great coach or he reminds Elvis of the Kivi incident since it was at his house or it’s not Manny’s fault at all, a change was needed there (and if it’s the last of those three, Elvis will be gone after next year. But at least you can more fully determine).

I thought they’d go into next year with Larsen and if it was a bad start let him go. I’m pretty surprised to be honest.
I think both needed to go, Legace mainly for reasons you just mentioned there and Larsen for questionable PP and lineup decisions, defensive system and the mishandling of Sillinger.

They seemed fine people to me as well so hoping they'll soon find new jobs in the league...

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yeah, it’s the sad nature of sports. Obviously, no one thinks the results were even close to good enough, but he seems like a good guy (unlike, it came across at least, Arniel, for example).

Agree nearly completely with the first two paragraphs.

I don’t know why they would (and don’t think they will) go with Vincent after the Larsen experiment. Seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Nearly certain they’re going after a proven (to at least some degree), experienced NHL coach.
I agree with you and I've had the guilty by association conversation before but it is worth noting that he was not let go.

We don't know if he would want to stay though. Did his wife ever move here from her hospital job in Canada?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I agree about Legace. There’s a lingering thing there even if they don’t realize it between he and Elvis.

This is last-chance stuff for Elvis.

anotherlurker

Oct 31, 2022
Feel bad for the guy, I was hoping he would be given the start of next season to figure out if his systems work.

At the start of this season it seemed pretty obvious that his systems had some big problems, guys seemed lost on the ice and looking around what they should do, but that seemed to diminish as the season went along, although losses still kept piling.

Very ungrateful job for him after the FO went full tank mode and it became obvious that he can't help himself this year. That's why I think it's kinda unfair to fire the tank commander for a job well done and not give (yet) another change.

Hopefully this was a good lesson for him and he fights his way back to being an NHL coach, still a young guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00