Confirmed with Link: Larsen and Legace relieved of duties

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
They had some guys. One of them, Josh Anderson, Torts was real high on, also had arguably his best season under him, was pretty much run off by Jarmo. Torts scheme and player types yielded playoff appearances and teams that were tough to play against, and so far Jarmo's schemes and player types have been pretty soft. They can score, but can't stop the other team from scoring more. We'll see how it plays out, but 2 years in, we are already changing coaches.
Coaches often change during and after rebuilds. Nothing unusual there. Rangers just few seasons ago fired David Quinn just like we did Larsen.

What Torts does yields teams that just and just make the playoffs and exit on first round. The style worked on pre-lockout but you'll never be a contender like that these days.

Jarmo is trying to build a Avs type of a team. Takes time but if it works out they might actually win stuff

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I don't believe he has much chance at landing the job, while he still seems like a potentially good fit and signing him could be one of those things that end up changing the league as far as coaching goes, CBJ are no longer in the position they were two seasons ago, they can't afford to gamble on their next coach. I don't think the odds for Jalonen succeeding are that low, but even then he's completely unproven in the NHL and all his greatest successes have come with Team Finland, which is a very different gig than coaching an NHL team for 82 games.

I can imagine the press conference where Jarmo talks about how they looked at options and believe Jalonen was the best coach available and how they are in the league to compete for and win the Stanley Cup and to win it all you can't just always make the safe choice with the familiar name etc. etc. Still, I think the chances of actually seeing that press conference are very very slim :)

I don't see Jalonen as a shot in the dark. I look at him as the safest bet out there. He makes teams that are not favorites to be winning machines. I believe the roster is already great enough to reach playoffs. Jalonen would make it in a cohesive machine where everyone's strengths are properly utilized and we could win even with a roster that's not "there yet".

I get it that there's this manufactured idea that you need NA experience before NHL. No, you just need to make everyone in the team understand what is expected of them and hold you accountable. He is that coach. He wins with material that shouldn't even be in the conversation. That's the guy we need to start winning and making deep dives in playoffs. This guy won the world championship against fully loaded Canada and Russia with a full non NHL squad, with just cohesiveness of units. That's what we need

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Oh, and I’m expecting Laine to get dealt. He was really tight with Larsen. One of the few guys to go out of his way in publicly backing his hiring. This won’t sit well. Laine doesn’t want to play for a hardass again.

He gone.

• Haha
Reactions: I3LI3

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Oh, and I’m expecting Laine to get dealt. He was really tight with Larsen. One of the few guys to go out of his way in publicly backing his hiring. This won’t sit well. Laine doesn’t want to play for a hardass again.

He gone.
Wow. We don't even have a coach yet and the new guy is already running Laine out of town.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020

He gone.
Holy over reaction. Unless you know him personally and this is what he told you this is a rather silly comment.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

He gone.

What?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

He gone.
And how did Laine play under Larsen? Better defensively, had better all-around hockey than under Torts. Even 2 games he played center and not badly. It is important for the players that the coach is fair.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

He gone.
I recommend you take some time and learn to distinguish between what you desire and what's actually probable.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
And how did Laine play under Larsen? Better defensively, had better all-around hockey than under Torts. Even 2 games he played center and not badly. It is important for the players that the coach is fair.
Laine pouted all season under Torts. He also didn't want to be more of an all-around player his first year here. He is starting to realize it is beneficial to him to become better all around because when this contract is up, he will pretty much have one more chance to a high value long term contract. Depending on how the young guys end up playing, he may not be needed here by then.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine pouted all season under Torts. He also didn't want to be more of an all-around player his first year here. He is starting to realize it is beneficial to him to become better all around because when this contract is up, he will pretty much have one more chance to a high value long term contract. Depending on how the young guys end up playing, he may not be needed here by then.
Depends on how he plays.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd love it if he was still helpful by then, though; that would be an indicator that he has become better all around.

Reactions: Monstershockey

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Larsen speaks

“Nothing catches you by surprise in this business,” Larsen told the Dispatch. “I know where we finished, you know? And whenever you finish in that spot, it’s a possibility, right? We can haggle over the ‘Whys?’ in what happened, but at the end of the day, you’ve got to respect their decision and move on.”
“It was challenging for everybody, not just the coaches,” Larsen said. “It was challenging on the players, it was challenging on the staff, it was challenging on management, the fans, ownership, everybody. And it was every day. We got bad news most days, unfortunately, so you had to deal with it, move on and re-adjust quickly. That was the type of year it was, so we had to go through a lot.”
“I hold no ill will,” Larsen said. “I was there 13 years, you know? So, I’m very grateful and very blessed to have this opportunity for that amount of time with one organization.”

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Larsen was just a place keeper who was almost certainly going to have a short shelf life.

The fact that McConnell is going to allow Jarmo and JD to pick the next coach is frightening. This is exactly the time to completely clean house. The team is at the bottom of the ocean and stands a good chance of getting a very good or generational #1C and the 10 year track record of this management team is miserable.

Dean Lombardi and Stan Bowman had tenures of approximately the same length as Jarmo and JD. Both were fired after winning 2 and 3 Stanley Cups respectively. John McConnell really needs to get a clue.

You can't blame Jarmo no player before JG didn't wanna play a game in Columbus

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
*UFA leaves

NOONE EVER WANTS TO BE HERE

Do players generally like different cities and markets? Yes. Have players wanted to play in Columbus? Obviously

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I
Larsen was just a place keeper who was almost certainly going to have a short shelf life.

The fact that McConnell is going to allow Jarmo and JD to pick the next coach is frightening. This is exactly the time to completely clean house. The team is at the bottom of the ocean and stands a good chance of getting a very good or generational #1C and the 10 year track record of this management team is miserable.

Dean Lombardi and Stan Bowman had tenures of approximately the same length as Jarmo and JD. Both were fired after winning 2 and 3 Stanley Cups respectively. John McConnell really needs to get a clue.
Stan Bowman had Patrik Kane, Jonathan Toews, Patrik Sharp, Marián Hossa, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook etc. Also Joel Queneville. In doing so, he didn't acquire, except Hossa, any of these players. And I doubt Marián would want to play in Chicago without these players.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I

Stan Bowman had Patrik Kane, Jonathan Toews, Patrik Sharp, Marián Hossa, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook etc. Also Joel Queneville. In doing so, he didn't acquire, except Hossa, any of these players. And I doubt Marián would want to play in Chicago without these players.
True. But he still won 3 Cups and got fired.

Had Bowman not stupidly traded Panarin for Saad, Jarmo would probably have zero playoff series wins on his CBJ resume. It's been a 10 year run worthy of dismissal no matter how you cut it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00