Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
i guarantee you it was not easy for Dubas to part with these assets. Durzi Grundstrom and a 1st. However both of these teams are in different places. Leafs were getting good value for good players not to long ago. (Kapanen, 1st (turns into anderson) for Kessel. Pits has 2 cups and the Leafs are where they are now.

Win Win trade.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't think Durzi will become an NHL regular and the 1st will be a mid to late pick so not too hurt about that but really didn't want to give up Grundstrom.

To be totally honest, he looked great in camp and I thought it was dumb he wasn't getting a shot in the NHL, especially with guys like Brown and Marleau having bad seasons. Babcock gives a lot of lip services about earning your spot but sits on the same lineup for the most part. No idea why Trevor Moore spent so long down in the AHL...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
****, we gave up way too much value imo.
McCurdy agrees with you, when many were saying the Kings didn't get enough. With Grundstrom looking every bit the prototypical Kings player, high character that plays a heavy game. It sure looks like they got good value in the trade. "Price paid very high."

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
McCurdy agrees with you, when many were saying the Kings didn't get enough. With Grundstrom looking every bit the prototypical Kings player, high character that plays a heavy game. It sure looks like they got good value in the trade. "Price paid very high."

Good post. Not only do the Leafs draft and develop well, they trade well too! That's what you meant, right?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good post. Not only do the Leafs draft and develop well, they trade well too! That's what you meant, right?

I recall Mark Hunter relaying he personally scouted Grundstrom in Sweden prior to the draft. It's looking like he may have found a gem here. Full credit to Mark. Kings have a player that is going to be hard to play against for years to come. Good read on value by the Kings. Futa liked him his draft year also.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Kudos to Mark and Brendan! And boy what a pickup by Kyle. Might be that final piece of the Stanley Cup puzzle! Gotta be happy with that, eh?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I recall Mark Hunter relaying he personally scouted Grundstrom in Sweden prior to the draft. It's looking like he may have found a gem here. Full credit to Mark. Kings have a player that is going to be hard to play against for years to come. Good read on value by the Kings. Futa liked him his draft year also.
Full credit to the leafs organization, am I right? Right?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Muzzin: 19gms, 48pt pace, +6, 52.1cf%, 52.7scf%

Leafs Before trade: 30-17-2, 104pt pace, 3.55gfa, 2.86gaa, +.69gdiff, 51.7cf%, 52.2scf%
Leafs Since trade: 12-4-3, 117pt pace, 3.68gfa, 2.79gaa, +.89gdiff, 51.7cf%, 52.5scf%

great to see Grundstrom doing well too. he's definitely a player.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Here's the Leafs defense right now without muzzin:

Rielly - Hainsey

Marincin - Zaitsev

Marlies LHD - Ozhiganov.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

Hunter made some good picks with the Leafs, Marner being the best, but he also had huge misses, not taking Debrincat for example.
Taken as a whole I would rate Hunter as slightly better than average, though the jury is still out on some picks.

Leafs fans knew Grundstrom was very good after watching him play with the Marlies and help them win the Calder Cup but getting Muzzin without losing a roster player was a huge win by Dubas.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I don't think Durzi will become an NHL regular and the 1st will be a mid to late pick so not too hurt about that but really didn't want to give up Grundstrom.
You did not want to give up a 2nd round pick in Grundstrom but you do not care about the 1st...okay...

Muzzin has been fantastic, there was no spot for Grunstrom
I doubt it. He can play 4th line minutes and not look out of place. Perhaps not this season yet, but than next year.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018

To be totally honest, he looked great in camp and I thought it was dumb he wasn't getting a shot in the NHL, especially with guys like Brown and Marleau having bad seasons. Babcock gives a lot of lip services about earning your spot but sits on the same lineup for the most part. No idea why Trevor Moore spent so long down in the AHL...

Why not for Durzi? I'm a Habs fan and have watched him on the Storm. He looks like an NHLer

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You did not want to give up a 2nd round pick in Grundstrom but you do not care about the 1st...okay...

I doubt it. He can play 4th line minutes and not look out of place. Perhaps not this season yet, but than next year.
I mean development time matters. The Leafs are in a compete now mode and a 2nd round pick from 2 and a half years ago that is near NHL ready has more of an impact then trading a 1st round pick that you would hope...turns into a Grundstrom in 3 years.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why not for Durzi? I'm a Habs fan and have watched him on the Storm. He looks like an NHLer
Sean Durzi was voted one of the top offensive defencemen in the OHL by Coaches. The names on the list put him in good company. He could be the sleeper of this deal. Futa also mentioned they did a lot of homework on him with a Kings scout connection to Durzi prior to the trade.

Best Offensive Defenseman
East
1. Ryan Merkley
2. Thomas Harley
3. Noel Hoefenmayer & Matt Brassard
West
1. Evan Bouchard & Adam Boqvist
2. Mac Hollowell
3. Bode Wilde & Sean Durzi

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Sean Durzi was voted one of the top offensive defencemen in the OHL by Coaches. The names on the list put him in good company. He could be the sleeper of this deal. Futa also mentioned they did a lot of homework on him with a Kings scout connection to Durzi prior to the trade.

Best Offensive Defenseman
East
1. Ryan Merkley
2. Thomas Harley
3. Noel Hoefenmayer & Matt Brassard
West
1. Evan Bouchard & Adam Boqvist
2. Mac Hollowell
3. Bode Wilde & Sean Durzi
Great, the guy ahead of him on that list, Mac Hollowell, is also a Leafs draft pick and was signed last week.

Toronto Maple Leafs sign Mac Hollowell entry level contract

Good to know being on that list puts him in good company. I can only assume being AHEAD of Durzi on that list puts him in even better company.

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Another goal for Muzzin on Saturday. What a great pickup. He really has been fantastic for the Leafs. 11 points in 19 games, while playing solid defensively.

He really seems to fit in well, and contribute to the Leafs exciting, winning brand of hockey, carrying the flag for Ontario, and Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad