Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Wouldn’t be surprised if he he has the most ice time of all leafs d man by the end of the season

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Muzzin does look like he is fitting in on that Toronto blue-line quite nicely. That first game against Detroit you could see he was still adjusting a lot (lots of passes to his partner rather than the Leafs more favored stretch pass), but the past two games he has looked much more comfortable, particularly last night, where he was all over the ice; stripping pucks, making crisp passes to the forwards and of course unloading a nice bomb on the powerplay.

It looks like Muzzin is set to flourish in Toronto's more up-tempo system.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Wouldn’t be surprised if he he has the most ice time of all leafs d man by the end of the season
I mean, he has shown he can play on his off-side, and he has something of a two-way game (which for Toronto sets him apart; aside from Zaitsev, who is an offensive black-hole, the rest of that blue-line is offense before defense), so it really would not surprise me to see him log some major minutes. But hey, that is why Toronto gave a "Kings ransom" to get him.
so now you guys believe me when i told you that Muzzin IS the best D on the Leafs roster?

Cool

imagine how good Doughty is :nod:
I still have Rielly as the best blue-liner in the system becase the offense and puckmoving he provides is just brilliant (and unlike say Jake Gardiner, he at least isn't a pylon in his own end). Muzzin looks clearly like the second best defenseman on the team, and is definitely the most versatile blue-liner by a large margin (big knock on Rielly is that he can't munch minutes like a Burns or a Doughty), being able to play special teams, left and right side of the ice and in offensive and defensive situations. Definitely pleased with how Muzzin has fit in so far, and with that extra year on his contract (at a nice cap hit) the Leafs get a lot more flexibility to say let Gardiner walk (his contract is likely going to be extremely rich as teams in need of a puck-moving blueliner will see the 40 and 50 point seasons and open up the piggy-bank to pay him as such as a ufa). It is still early but the Leafs have to be pretty happy with the trade so far. I hope the picks and prospects turn out ok for you Kings fans as well; no one can say you didn't get good return on your player. There is good potential for this to turn into a "win-win" trade which is definitely the best possible outcome.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
it's hard to shake off the pride, i understand

but let Babcock confirm that for you in due time

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I remember the first year Berneir was in Toronto people were saying he was a vezna level goalie. Players do well in Toronto they get overhyped. If the player plays mediocre they get pooped on. Really hard market to play in.

Muzzin is a great player and I am glad he is off to a good start in Toronto. Still think this was a fair price to pay. I don't think anyone fleeced anyone.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
so now you guys believe me when i told you that Muzzin IS the best D on the Leafs roster?

Cool

imagine how good Doughty is :nod:

Welp, this is just wrong so no, I don't think people believe you. :)

Rielly is still our best defenceman… and part of the reason he was moved to the other side is because he is talented enough to adjust. Muzzin easily takes the #2 spot though and I am thankful to have a different style defender on our team. There is no question that Doughty would be the #1 on our team.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Glad Jake continues to do well, he's a great player and a great guy.

We suck now, but we could sure develop and churn out the defense for a while there. Jake wasn't so far off his current form in 2014 and he was our 4th or 5th best blueliner. Now we roll out a good amount of crap every night :facepalm:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
What I like about Muzzin is the fact that he takes slapshots and hits. That's a breath of fresh air on the Leafs back end.

Oh, also, he's pretty good at hockey apparently.

Reactions: YP44

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Imagine someone thinking he is better than Rielly. You are allowed to be excited about a player and not think he is the best on his team or in the league. He's just fitting perfectly into the hole on the roster is all, he's made the team more complete.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Imagine someone thinking he is better than Rielly. You are allowed to be excited about a player and not think he is the best on his team or in the league. He's just fitting perfectly into the hole on the roster is all, he's made the team more complete.
Until Reilly plays playoffs great he's not muzzin.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Muzzin does look like he is fitting in on that Toronto blue-line quite nicely. That first game against Detroit you could see he was still adjusting a lot (lots of passes to his partner rather than the Leafs more favored stretch pass), but the past two games he has looked much more comfortable, particularly last night, where he was all over the ice; stripping pucks, making crisp passes to the forwards and of course unloading a nice bomb on the powerplay.

It looks like Muzzin is set to flourish in Toronto's more up-tempo system.

I'm glad you guys are able to de-program him from Sutter defaults so quickly. That slowdown has been such a staple of our game for years...unfortunately still is.

Muzzin can throw bombs out there too for stretch passes so I have no doubt he'll get more comfortable.

He's always been 'clompy,' with heavy feet, but he can think fast and get to the right spots in time. Being surrounded with so much speed--and an elite skater like Reilly--allows him to really do his thing: step up at the blueline and break up plays and plaster people to the wall.

The longer Muzzin plays for the Leafs the more people will appreciate just how good he is. Forget the comparisons.

Thank god for this though. Was getting realllll sick of "X King is overrated" about everyone. Bittersweet but nice when our players can move on and be appreciated elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad