Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Grundstrom is a great get for the Kings. I'm pretty shocked that the Leafs traded for him TBH. But I guess this was as good as it was going to get without having to give up Nylander or Kapanen.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
How much is it going to cost to dump Zaitsev 5y contract? By my scientific calculation, even with Gardiner/Hainsey gone, Leafs are 2 millions over next year with Muzzin in. Marleau has a full NMC.

They have to do it before July 1st ideally because then his NTC kicks in.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
You're right. I shouldn't have called them his career numbers. I meant that those are his stats since 2014-15, his first regular season as a top-4 defenseman. He was a +18 and a +11 in his rookie and sophomore years in 2012-13 and 2013-14, respectively, both played on the 3rd pairing. You were right to correct me, but I don't think that those seasons are really relevant to discussion of whether he's a top-4 (let alone, top pairing) defenseman.

Well, take this year and last year then, when he's been a +18 at even strength, best among D on the team (Doughty is a +9). He's has better possession metrics than his teammates. He's the only regular defenseman who has been a + in expected goals. His QOC over that span is in line is barely below Doughty, he's had solid deployments while having a lower QOT. He's put up more points than Doughty at ES over the last season and a half, all this while playing 300 less minutes at ES.

That's a recent sample as you are going to get, and his numbers better than Doughty's in almost every facet. He put up a career high in points last year and has been fantastic this year. You aren't going to find much more relevant numbers than that, and those are top pairing numbers.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How much is it going to cost to dump Zaitsev 5y contract? By my scientific calculation, even with Gardiner/Hainsey gone, Leafs are 2 millions over next year with Muzzin in. Marleau has a full NMC.

That all taking into account of the rumored cap increase to $82-83 million? Ya either way though, Kapanens deal will be a tough one, even on a bridge.

Reactions: Michoulicious

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018

The leafs can move several guys to free up cap space in the offseason.
The list includes muzzin. If the leafs just want to use him for this year they can move him in the offseason and recoup most of what they gave up.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Stralman is still relevant?
Bolts have quality depth so they can put Girardi on the first pair if they want. Just like when the Penguins had Kessel away from Malkin and Crosby. It's because they have quality depth up front. The Leafs don't have quality depth for defense.

Reactions: dukeofjive

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Bolts have quality depth so they can put Girardi on the first pair if they want. Just like when the Penguins had Kessel away from Malkin and Crosby. It's because they have quality depth up front. The Leafs don't have quality depth for defense.
Leafs now have quality depth as well.

Hedman and Rielly are comparables as are Muzzin and McDonagh.

Does Tampa have a Gardiner comparable after their top 2?

Reactions: NovaLeaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad