Prospect Info: LAK Draft (45th, 2020) RD Brock Faber - USNTDP, USHL

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Mikey Anderson is a really good defenseman. He's got amazing metrics even though he goes against top competition every single night. Drew isn't carrying him, it's Mikey that's freeing Drew up to do his thing. You could see it starting last year and now it's in full swing, he's not an anchor like his previous partner. Forbort is a really good mid to bottom-pairing guy, but he wilts against strong competition. Mikey does no such thing, he excels against it.

He's 22, high-IQ, and improving. He's turning into a more physical Willie Mitchell, I see no reason to even think about breaking that pairing up.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

tenor.gif

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Mikey Anderson is a really good defenseman. He's got amazing metrics even though he goes against top competition every single night. Drew isn't carrying him, it's Mikey that's freeing Drew up to do his thing. You could see it starting last year and now it's in full swing, he's not an anchor like his previous partner. Forbort is a really good mid to bottom-pairing guy, but he wilts against strong competition. Mikey does no such thing, he excels against it.

He's 22, high-IQ, and improving. He's turning into a more physical Willie Mitchell, I see no reason to even think about breaking that pairing up.

All of that AND Drew Doughty has repeatedly said how much he likes and wants to play with him.

COMING SOON TO A PODCAST EPISODE NEAR YOU

EDIT: but sorry this is supposed to be about Faber... Faber looks great.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
People gotta stop coming up with mock lineups that don't have Doughty and Anderson together as a pair.

It's just gotta stop.

Really?
Is it because you believe that Anderson is 1s paring defensemen and cannot be disconnected from Doughty?
Can you imagine that not everybody will agree with your opinion?

Reactions: Seventyx7

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Would Ryan Suter be a good comparable ceiling for Faber? I see him as a smooth skating and solid defenseman, once he gets even stronger. All around good player, some offensive upside, kinda like Ryan Suter.

Reactions: JTeller97

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Would Ryan Suter be a good comparable ceiling for Faber? I see him as a smooth skating and solid defenseman, once he gets even stronger. All around good player, some offensive upside, kinda like Ryan Suter.
I really like that comparison…
The kid is so damn good now, imagine once he gets his man strength..
I was going to say a much more offensive
Marc Edouard-Vlasic

Reactions: lumbergh

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Really?
Is it because you believe that Anderson is 1s paring defensemen and cannot be disconnected from Doughty?

I may be interpreting this wrongly, but I don't think its about whether you think Anderson is a talent or not. The fact is until there is an actual player that come along, Coach Todd and Doughty are both keen on the pairing and that's just the way its going to be. By placing Mikey on the 2nd pairing or 3rd just sets your pairings up to be inaccurate.

Last edited:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I really like that comparison…
The kid is so damn good now, imagine once he gets his man strength..
I was going to say a much more offensive
Marc Edouard-Vlasic
Admittedly never seen Faber play at the collegiate level, but he's been pretty good in a small sample so far in the Olympics. I'm not seeing a high offensive skill level, but there's time for that. Marc Edouard-Vlasic is a very good player, so even if the offense doesn't come, that's okay.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
ME Vlasic had some seasons approaching 40 points playing basically solely at 5v5, that's what I envision for Faber if he develops further offensively. I think he has a high offensive skill level in IQ and similar tools, he's not gonna be a full OFD by any means but being uber-effective defensively then being able to move/transport the puck goes a long way as does not being a black hole in the offensive end...see some of Mikey Anderson's pinches, the biggest difference between him and forbort is if someone doubles DD, Mikey can and will get at least a semi threatening opportunity. Faber needs that in his game at the pro level.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Really?

It's a combination of things.

1st - Drew and Mikey are an excellent pair. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
2nd - Drew is on record multiple times singing his praises and expressing an interest in staying with him
3rd - No, it's not like the previous times where people quote Drew saying nice things about other D partners
4th - No. It isn't.
5th - Rob Blake had a steady D partner that wasn't flashy or possessing of any offensive skills and he knows their value
6th - Blake and Yawney were both name checked in a recent conversation as understanding the value of steady D partners

I can imagine people not agreeing with my opinion.

I just feel really strongly about this one.

I've been collecting quotes and thoughts from players and coaches all week about this and I'm trying to chase down a quote from Rob Blake.

Stay tuned for more of "my" opinion.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
All of that AND Drew Doughty has repeatedly said how much he likes and wants to play with him.

COMING SOON TO A PODCAST EPISODE NEAR YOU

EDIT: but sorry this is supposed to be about Faber... Faber looks great.

Drew also said how much he likes playing with Bjornfot and that has not happened

edit: just saw your 3rd point on your other reply

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Drew also said how much he likes playing with Bjornfot and that has not happened

Not even close to the amount of times he's talked about Mikey or in the same terms. This is a persistently false narrative.

EDIT: And they played 3 games together. ALL of Drew's comments came PRIOR to playing those games.

The comments I'm talking about have come during and after extended periods of time playing WITH Mikey Anderson.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Re: #3 def. curious to hear more of your take on that because honestly in my view Drew praising d-partners historically is like Gretzky praising anyone or a QB talking about his offensive line

I'm a guy who likes Anderson with Drew so I'm not being combative, I agree with basically everything else you've said, just digging on 3

Reactions: BigBrown and YP44

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Re: #3 def. curious to hear more of your take on that because honestly in my view Drew praising d-partners historically is like Gretzky praising anyone or a QB talking about his offensive line

I'm a guy who likes Anderson with Drew so I'm not being combative, I agree with basically everything else you've said, just digging on 3

I'm not opposed to Anderson pairing with Doughty either, but the vets need to stop deciding linemates, or having an influence.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
ME Vlasic had some seasons approaching 40 points playing basically solely at 5v5, that's what I envision for Faber if he develops further offensively. I think he has a high offensive skill level in IQ and similar tools, he's not gonna be a full OFD by any means but being uber-effective defensively then being able to move/transport the puck goes a long way as does not being a black hole in the offensive end...see some of Mikey Anderson's pinches, the biggest difference between him and forbort is if someone doubles DD, Mikey can and will get at least a semi threatening opportunity. Faber needs that in his game at the pro level.

Good comparison, I think Faber is a better skater already and once he does get stronger and bigger he's going to be a great dman for years to come. (Lets hope). Offensively agree as well, if he can chip in with a few points that will be a plus I just don't think he's going to be great at that department, but everywhere else in his game is tremendous.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016

I covered it on here a while back so I'm reluctant to go and dig up all the quotes and everything again AND I'm planning on laying it all out on a podcast episode later this week but the jist of it is.....

Multiple times over the last year or so Drew is on record as laying out precisely WHY he likes playing with Mikey and it's not just "gosh he's good! So good!"

Additionally he's on record (I have the recording) of him listing previous partners and saying "yea that was great but I want this to last more than a year or two"

ON TOP OF THAT... I've talked to Mikey and and Todd ABOUT the 8/44 pairing and both of them have echoed what Drew said about why that pairing is effective.

There's other stuff.... but an odd positive comment here or there about a former partner just doesn't equate to what I see as a very consistent pattern of Drew talking up his partnership with Mikey.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I am ok with stars having influence, but not full decisions

I asked Todd this morning about specific players requesting to play with other specific players.

I didn't get the impression that players make any decisions. They have input. The coaches listen and consider it. Then they worry about what's best (in their mind) for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad