Prospect Info: LAK Draft (45th, 2020) RD Brock Faber - USNTDP, USHL

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Maple Grove, Minnesota native Brock Faber has spent the last two seasons with the United States National Team Development Program. Playing with the Under-18 squad, the defenceman put up three goals and nine assists for 12 points in 46 games this year. He helped the team to a second-place finish at the Five Nations. Last season he was part of the Under-17 squad. He scored three goals and 12 assists for 15 points in 53 games. He also had a one-game call-up to the Under-18s. Faber played for the US at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He put up two assists in five tournament games. Faber also helped the U.S. win a silver medal in the 2018 Under-17 Four Nations Tournament.

Faber is committed to playing hockey for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers next year.

In 2017-18 Faber was named the Youth Hockey Hub Bantam Player of Year for Minnesota. He played four games for the Minnesota Blades in the NAPHL U15, putting up six assists. He also played 14 games for the MNBEL Kings, scoring five goals and 11 assists for 16 points. Born on August 22nd, 2002, Faber is one of the younger players in this draft class.

Brock Faber Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #85 - Last Word on Hockey

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
This is how much Hoven's dialed in. We prepped an article for him too

LA Kings Select Brock Faber No. 45 – What You Need to Know

b32e353434f1b9ae9b02e37e2619a61f

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If he compares in any way to McAvoy like Granato said, this is a home run :laugh:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
They are looking for long term solid hits on their defense prospects. Defense for us is likely going to be our weakest aspect going forward and will be the costliest to maintain once we are back in contender status. Looks good to me.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I prefer the Faber pick to the Grans pick, and I don't dislike that one either.

I am much more in favor of selecting prospects who are more assured of fulfilling their somewhat more limited potential than taking risks on flawed diamonds or one trick ponies like Gunler. Faber oozes calculated, safer play, and he has a few years to develop before using a contract slot. Its a good add to the organization.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I prefer the Faber pick to the Grans pick, and I don't dislike that one either.

I am much more in favor of selecting prospects who are more assured of fulfilling their somewhat more limited potential than taking risks on flawed diamonds or one trick ponies like Gunler. Faber oozes calculated, safer play, and he has a few years to develop before using a contract slot. Its a good add to the organization.

I like this pick.

Seems a lot safer than the Grans pick.

I know we're just talking draft philosophy here so agree to disagree--why do we need safe picks when the org is absolutely loaded with JAGs to the point where we'll run out of contract slots? Personally, I'm all for home runs, and if they don't see Faber as pretty high upside, then I totally disagree with the pick. It's easy to pick up bottom-pairing d-men, if that's what they think we got with this pick, then we may as well have thrown it in the dumpster in my eyes. I have to think that Faber has a little more to offer than safety.

Reactions: David Lunch

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It sounds like his rankings were all over the map from the 20s to the 110s. Kings must have had him on the higher end of that but it's easy to see how polarizing he was.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I know we're just talking draft philosophy here so agree to disagree--why do we need safe picks when the org is absolutely loaded with JAGs to the point where we'll run out of contract slots? Personally, I'm all for home runs, and if they don't see Faber as pretty high upside, then I totally disagree with the pick. It's easy to pick up bottom-pairing d-men, if that's what they think we got with this pick, then we may as well have thrown it in the dumpster in my eyes. I have to think that Faber has a little more to offer than safety.

I suggest that there is a much wider chasm in the term "safer" in between the home run and sacrifice bunt you are indicating here.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I’m sure Hoven is a wonderful blogger and I know you write for him, but do you have to constantly suck his ass on here?

I'm proud of providing content.

And when people ask who I trust and consider reliable, I provide my input.

I don't make money with these articles, but I do feel MM is the best place to get content and am genuinely proud to be a part of it.

If my enthusiasm and attempts to hype up our hard work bothers you, I'm sorry. Maybe it's best if you ignore me.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
I honestly loathe (feel intense dislike or disgust for) the whole 'not much offensive upside' label for defensemen that have top end skating skill, make near 100% clean zone exits, exceptional first passes....this is a COMPONENT of THE OFFENSE - (puck mover - he's called an exceptional puck mover) the transition to offense and should get credit for part of the offense part of the game. Look at Bjornfot. He's going to be outstanding... and it's not like he's a Scuderi, he has offensive ability, but may not play the PP. Its not like you're either an offensive defenseman or defensive defenseman. I would prefer ones that are exellent defensively and can be a catalyst to start the offense, than a wheel and deal offensive defenseman that is not trustworthy on D...and of course, there are offensive defensemen, that are still good defensively, they are called #1 or #2 defenseman...but no team has 6 of those guys.

Give me a defenseman that is a DEFENSMAN first, that makes good reads, closes gaps, rarely beat, good on the boards, you can trust in your zone, play penalty kill...and can also make clean zone exits, excellent first pass, and also has top end skating. (plus add character like this kid has and high hockey IQ)

OVER

An elite offensive defenseman, that is OFTEN not reliable (or average at best) in your zone, gets beat often, does not win battles on the board, not good in front of your goalie, does not block shots, and can't be on your PK....but is good offensively and can excel on the PP and possibly score 50 points.

This kid sounds like another Bjornfot...there's a reason they traded up just 4-5 spots to make sure they got him. I am sure Wroblewski knows this kid well and probably was pounding the table for him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad