Prospect Info: LAK Draft (2nd, 2020) C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Hey guys, just dropping in. Understand that there's a ton of uncertainty, but any rumours on whether he will play with the Kings this year or do the WJC/OHL route again?

I think most of us believe he'll be given his 9 games at a minimum, but given the uncertainty in the CHL it seems more and more likely QB will be in LA for the year.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If I had to guess, I think he'll be in all of the Kings' training camps, then head to the WJC, then join the Kings after that and get in his nine games at the very least. At 6'5 225, there's not a whole lot left to accomplish in Sudbury.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
QM getting his bowtie style from Honest Abe himself...

il_340x270.2408841059_rech.jpg

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Hey guys, just dropping in. Understand that there's a ton of uncertainty, but any rumours on whether he will play with the Kings this year or do the WJC/OHL route again?
nothing of substance

The most "legit" being this quote from Blake. Which could go either way

On his NHL readiness
I’m a pretty confident guy, and I have a lot of confidence in myself. I definitely think I can step into the NHL next year, but I know it’s a really big jump from the OHL, and very challenging. Coming from every league gets harder and harder, and it’s playing against and with the best players every night. It’s definitely going to be really challenging, but my whole offseason I’ve been working with pros quite a bit and it’s helped me to translate easier.

Rob Blake on Byfield’s ability to play in the NHL right away
Well, physically, I think he has the ability to step in and play in the NHL with his size and his skating ability. Now, there’s a lot more that goes into it. The uncertainty on the games, when we’re starting, what will happen in the OHL where he’s currently playing, the World Juniors. I would say, all of the players drafted at that type of level, there’s always a look at them to see if they project to be in the NHL as soon as next year. His size would do that, but there’s a lot more that goes into it.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
@Rob Brown
One more thing I thought of after I posted.

Blake does still follow a lot of the same organizational philosophies that Lombardi put in to place and Lombardi was really big on players playing in the WJC.

I know timing is a mess right now , but there is a chance that he plays in the WJC

Edit- What kilowatt said
If I had to guess, I think he'll be in all of the Kings' training camps, then head to the WJC, then join the Kings after that and get in his nine games at the very least. At 6'5 225, there's not a whole lot left to accomplish in Sudbury.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I think most of us believe he'll be given his 9 games at a minimum, but given the uncertainty in the CHL it seems more and more likely QB will be in LA for the year.

nothing of substance

The most "legit" being this quote from Blake. Which could go either way

@Rob Brown
One more thing I thought of after I posted.

Blake does still follow a lot of the same organizational philosophies that Lombardi put in to place and Lombardi was really big on players playing in the WJC.

I know timing is a mess right now , but there is a chance that he plays in the WJC

Edit- What kilowatt said
Good to know, thank guys! I'm excited to see how he does. I was near Sudbury the other week and was damn close to driving the extra hour into the city to try and buy a Wolves shirt with Byfield on the back.

I also have the 2nd overall pick this year in my 8 year keeper league, so have been debating drafting QB as Laf will go 1st.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Good to know, thank guys! I'm excited to see how he does. I was near Sudbury the other week and was damn close to driving the extra hour into the city to try and buy a Wolves shirt with Byfield on the back.

I also have the 2nd overall pick this year in my 8 year keeper league, so have been debating drafting QB as Laf will go 1st.
You should

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kailer Yamamoto weighed in at 153 pounds last year, and several guys came in under 165 including Gaudreau, DeBrincat, Point, Farabee, and Gusev. It's a different NHL out there. I think the problem with a guy like Gaudreau is he's expected to be the guy all the time for Calgary, whereas guys like Point and DeBrincat have a lot of help (not that Point needs it)!

The problem with a guy like gaudreau is he's a p***y who is looking to get bailed out by the refs all the time and expects outside help

The other guys on that list play with a chip on their shoulder and they know they have to earn it and want it.

Smaller guys can definitely play now.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
Well, Lafreniere got signed for $925k, so I think it should be safe to say that Byfield is close or equal to that.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Well, Lafreniere got signed for $925k, so I think it should be safe to say that Byfield is close or equal to that.

An NHL-ready second-overall pick doesn't even have to negotiate. The Kings offered him the max rookie contract and he accepted. There's nothing to even think about.

The problem with a guy like gaudreau is he's a p***y

Well yeah lmao I was just trying to be a little more roundabout with it :laugh:

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Cory Stillman was the 6th overall pick in 1992, won the Cup twice, has a son that was drafted in 2016 and a 17 year old currently on the Wolves... and he's coached Quinton Byfield for the past two seasons.

I couldn't think of a better person to talk about Byfield and his career potential. Hope you guys enjoy it. Some interesting nuggets in there I thought.

EDIT : I REALLY need to figure out how to embed these things...

Last edited:

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Although he hasn't played a game in more than seven months, Byfield's been training harder than ever, so that he's prepared for whenever the Kings come calling.

"Throughout quarantine I've been working out and skating quite a bit," he said. "Just trying to keep in shape and put on a little more muscle and weight and get stronger."

Part of that regimen has included training with Gary Roberts, one of hockey's most acclaimed strength and conditioning coaches. Byfield believes that it has helped in his development and that he's on his way and ready to take the next step in his career.

Warm Welcome to LA for Quinton Byfield During 'Crazy Week'

cut.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad